Time for the annual Spring Site Fight - Page 3

Time for the annual Spring Site Fight

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Re: Time for the annual Spring Site Fight

Post by Licho »

Out with dated CSS, lets make all using tables^2 now!
They dont change looks on mobile devices and are much eaiser to code and maintain!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

All we need is to link up akismet. That is on off topic issue dealing with only the forum.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

moved all current videos to youtube:
http://test.springrts.com/

https://github.com/spring/spring-websit ... dc3178091d

thoughts? or better... high res video links? only currently the zero-k video is high-res. i know the videos don't show up on the media page, but this can/could be easily fixed.
gajop

Post by gajop »

abma wrote:moved all current videos to youtube:
http://test.springrts.com/

https://github.com/spring/spring-websit ... dc3178091d

thoughts? or better... high res video links? only currently the zero-k video is high-res.
Better. Still, imo, when I click "Videos"/"Screenshots" it should display all videos/screenshots (currently it just works like a tab).
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

gajop wrote:Better. Still, imo, when I click "Videos"/"Screenshots" it should display all videos/screenshots (currently it just works like a tab).
hmm, sounds me like "Videos", "Screenshots" and "Show me more!" can be removed as this is mostly redundant to "Media" and only the video will be left?

edit: removed the tabs. thoughts?
gajop

Post by gajop »

abma wrote:
gajop wrote:Better. Still, imo, when I click "Videos"/"Screenshots" it should display all videos/screenshots (currently it just works like a tab).
hmm, sounds me like "Videos", "Screenshots" and "Show me more!" can be removed as this is mostly redundant to "Media" and only the video will be left?

edit: removed the tabs. thoughts?
Good :)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Putting the video full width would help it but that would mean having a huge block on the frontpage, very distracting, essentially a third banner, not good design, and a lot of competing for the eye.

YetAnotherCallToAction YACTA

I approve of the changes here to switch to youtube, their player is much more flexible and progressive than JWPlayer for our purposes, and it sets a precedent that can be designed for a lot easier in the future ( and provides a means of liking and linking via youtube to other things like how to get the relevant game )
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Are we in agreement/not opposed then to a site that uses WordPress to handle the frontpage, screenshots/media and the banners via WordPress, and a design that implements an appropriate header and menu for the forums and wiki?

Who objects? Do we have a consensus?

User integration with PHPBB, Akismet, the unit battlefield frontpage, and wiki content/structure to be discussed at a later point as separate issues.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

AF wrote:Are we in agreement/not opposed then to a site that uses WordPress to handle the frontpage, screenshots/media and the banners via WordPress, and a design that implements an appropriate header and menu for the forums and wiki?

Who objects? Do we have a consensus?

User integration with PHPBB, Akismet, the unit battlefield frontpage, and wiki content/structure to be discussed at a later point as separate issues.
Sadly, as you mentioned above, consensus means diddly unless you get those who hold the keys to power on your side... I think what you've said is good for what it's worth.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

If you build it, they will come.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well, thankfully the people who have the keys are pretty cool and reasonable, like abma. And when it comes right down to it, it's licho's server, so he holds the ultimate keys I would say.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Seen as attention is being paid to this thread, I'll repeat a previous request:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Exte ... rFunctions
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It appears we have a general consensus.

Regarding Mediawiki, I think the main improvements it needs are typographics and visual. The only functional improvement that comes to mind is OEmbed support, I'd much rather embed and work with a gist for a code snippet, and it ties in nicely with the versioned system used, or insert a youtube video directly. ( why gists aren't being used for widgets and to power the widget DB systems i don't know, but you're all fools for not doing it )
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I'm sorry, but are you suggesting that there's no need for the suggested extension as a 'functional improvement'? :|
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

No, Flozi. He was glossing over it because that deals directly with the wiki and not the site. They may look like one and they same, but they are not one and the same.

In the same breath he was directly addressing that the main visual issues with the wiki are little things (that make a big difference) like typographics and the lack of proper embed (really?? How do you guys deal without being able to embed properly? That would drive me nuts), etc.

Your plugin suggestion got more or less ignored because technically, it's offtopic. I do agree that it would be nice to have that in the wiki though.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I would say a lot of things in your suggested extension would fall into one of two groups, either "probably quite useful" or "if you need this you shouldn't be using a wiki".

That's not to say that its inclusion would be a bad thing, but I hold no further opinion on the subject and would need to do further research and testing myself before forming a yes or no answer ( which is unlikely to be within my remit anyway ).

The lack of OEmbeds is a very real functional ommission, and I wouldn't say the visuals are small things, on the contrary the readability of what we already have is apalling, and it's terrifying to think that before jks edits, it was even worse.

Proper headings, typographic scale, paragraph widths and margins, and appropriate fonts and sizes, will make a vast improvement to the wiki, without making a single change to the content itself.

edit: I am living proof that the phrase "build it and they will come" is not true

Return to “Infrastructure Development”