Make me a moderator - Page 4

Make me a moderator

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Make me a moderator

Post by Forboding Angel »

I'm a very good moderator actually, because I compartmentalize. Most people can't (like flozi) and that is what makes them bad moderators.

I have no desire to be a moderator on these forums (cause honestly, other than I wouldn't want to, I don't care enough).
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

You might 'compartmentalize' but you clearly can't detect or take a joke at your expense. 8)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I knew it was a joke, to you. I didn't find it funny.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

FLOZI, how does it feel the rage in you is hot, but your want to be moderator-power beeing cool? Two souls, one beeing trolled right now, the other one longing for the hammer with the larger impact- postponing the truth.

You are selling your soul in this firey pit to become part of the fire brigade.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Also, as much as my "Community Forums" idea failed because nobody could be bothered to use it if they had to make a separate account, I still think the concept is a good idea.

Of course, in an ideal world, every game that uses Spring would have its own site and forums, but being such a small, close community as we are, I don't think it would make sense to split the remaining player-base up. Also, it still requires additional registration to use those sites.

What would make sense to me is to have a community forum on this site, with the same member database. When a new user registers, they're presented with check-boxes asking what they want to use the forums for: Either community/game discussion or engine discussion or both. If they don't select one of the options, then those forums aren't presented to them. Ofc, a user could change these preferences at any time but it would at least partially help in keeping people from spewing player-related crap in the engine forums.

This way, player/community related stuff developers don't want to see can be hidden from developers and engine/development related stuff players don't want to see can be hidden from players. This would also lighten the load on moderation. You could even have specific moderators for either board and global moderators for both which move topics from one board to the other if they don't belong there.
Last edited by Jazcash on 16 Dec 2012, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

+1, I'm still in favour of the church/state split.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Imo the biggest thing splitting the community up right now is that by default ZK-lobby shows only ZK games and only joins ZK specific channels (not even #newbies).

There is no warning/mention of this when you install ZK-lobby with the generic spring installer and I had to ask someone to find out how to change it. Imo newbies who install spring should have a lobby that makes an effort to show them all mods.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Jazcash wrote:AF for admin!
Only admin? I've more ambition than that, give me root on the server and I promise trolls will be a thing of the past

Anyways the fears of splitting the player base up are unfounded as they have already had those kind of situations imposed on them. The elephant in the room being the split between forums and lobby, yet people still seem to be able to do both, and maintain sites and forms and blogs elsewhere, and visit non spring related stuff too.

Just because you open a new island next door doesn't mean people won't visit. Instead acknowledge people already travel and build ferry terminals so its easy to come visit
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Jazcash wrote:What would make sense to me is to have a community forum on this site, with the same member database.
IMO go for SSO for all "spring services" (lobby, forum(s), wiki etc.).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Silentwings wrote:Imo the biggest thing splitting the community up right now is that by default ZK-lobby shows only ZK games and only joins ZK specific channels (not even #newbies).

There is no warning/mention of this when you install ZK-lobby with the generic spring installer and I had to ask someone to find out how to change it. Imo newbies who install spring should have a lobby that makes an effort to show them all mods.

How is this a bad thing? As long as the lobby distributed with spring doesn't do that. ZK is not responsible for advertising Evo, any more than Evo is responsible for advertising s44.

The lobby included with Evo only shows Evo games. This is how it should have been from the get-go.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

AF wrote:
Jazcash wrote:AF for admin!
Only admin? I've more ambition than that, give me root on the server and I promise trolls will be a thing of the past
Dear Sir/Madam,

i wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about the new moderation. Retro-spektive views are good and well, but getting the punks to steam, seems a bit excessive in terms of trollity-quality assurance.

Regards

Also: Lol @ Forbs Lemmingcliff of a privatized Evo-Lobby. "Is nobody here? I just installed Evo, were is the Singleplayer. "

I for once welcome our new ZK-Overlords, and wish to remind everyone slightly bored, that there is a exotic alternative lurking in the shadows.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Forboding Angel wrote:
Silentwings wrote:Imo the biggest thing splitting the community up right now is that by default ZK-lobby shows only ZK games and only joins ZK specific channels (not even #newbies).

How is this a bad thing? As long as the lobby distributed with spring doesn't do that. ZK is not responsible for advertising Evo, any more than Evo is responsible for advertising s44.

The lobby included with Evo only shows Evo games. This is how it should have been from the get-go.
ZKlobby is bundled with Spring. It filters out everything but ZK games. Joining ZK games with any other lobby gets you spammed with use ZKlobby pm's.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

dansan wrote:
Jazcash wrote:What would make sense to me is to have a community forum on this site, with the same member database.
IMO go for SSO for all "spring services" (lobby, forum(s), wiki etc.).
Yep, this would be a beautiful thing. As well as increasing traffic due to eased usage, it'd also open up potential for some funky stuff like ingame bug reporting that gets automatically posted to mantis.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Bug Reporter: Fuel

Reproduce how:
Just play with xyz, he is so evil, he reclaims my dragonteeth. I totally hate him. Its truly a bug that i cunt kick him from the server- i totally need that feature, and will see this done.

What do you mean, details? I delivered them. Clearly you must be trollin.

Issue was taken to the frontpage by jK.
Note added by Kleaut: "Thats more info then we get with the usual bug reports"
Abma closed the subject. Reason: "Its a duplicate of the over 9000 other Fuel reports".
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

You sir, have a point there.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Silentwings wrote:You sir, have a point there.
He does :(
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Beherith wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:

ZKlobby is bundled with Spring. It filters out everything but ZK games. Joining ZK games with any other lobby gets you spammed with use ZKlobby pm's.
ZK is also distributed from their website. For that distribution, it is fine if they only show zk.

That said, as I alluded to earlier, if the one distributed with spring is doing that, then that is a problem and should be dealt with.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

you ve got to hand it to forb, he is a fair loser. True sportsman.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Poll on zero-k page shows that most players learn about zero-k "from spring":
(or from friends who in turn most likely found it "from spring")

It is sad not all installers / lobbies autojoin #main channel anymore, in #obscuremod nobody will tell a newb how to fix his white map textures. Beside springrts.com no other page has such info.
-1 player, for obscuremod, spring in general and thus all other mods.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Yeah, exactly. So imo the ZK lobby default setting should change or it should not be bundled within the installer labelled 'spring'.

Maybe we should split this into a seperate thread?

Return to “General Discussion”