Why is rogue republic still in the news?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

They aren't even using the spring engine. Why are they getting publicity from us?
Johannes

Re: Why is rogue republic still in the news?

Post by Johannes »

Hadn't even noticed this before, it makes no sense to me either.

But another note about the front page - removing the Maximum Annihilation video would make sense, it's not a maintained project and probably not even playable with current engine.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

At some point they were and posted here to much fanfare. It appears thu switched without telling anyone or announcing it, I never noticed any such announcement being pulled in
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

You were warned months ago by Peewee Republic and you underestimated the warning. This is notAjoke!
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

And while we're at it why does the Stars Wars themed game keep getting banner time? It's been in "limited beta" for nearly 10 years, appears to be basically dead and uses copyrighted content. It really has no place here.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I like warlord zinj and the rest of the SW guys, but spliff makes an excellent point.

Especially after all of us gamedevs pitched in to make sw work correctly again and improve it, at which point warlord decided to just disappear again.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Its the duke nukem of open source rts- every industry, every field holds at least one when-its-done-son. So lets accept this -our burden in sylence.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

It's a good demonstration of engine content.

Copyrighted content is a stretch.

Stop your damn whining.
smoth

Post by smoth »

more relevant to spring: why isn't your weapon inheritance code in resources instead of Games & Mods
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

FLOZi wrote:Stop your damn whining.
Who are you talking to?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Actually so long as the core canon is not meddled with, StarWars copyright is AOK if I remember correctly.

Anyways, SpringInfo is maintained by me yes, but it runs itself. The majority of it is entirely automated, I think I've made 4 posts in the last few months, yet there are almost 600 news items saved on the site.

RR news posts are now being pulled in as pending review until I have a proper machine to deal with the problem.

A sidenote: It's not a good demonstration of the engine because it's just an image, and any actual demonstration would cause a flamewar over improper distribution/release. I might aswell photoshop a Startrek and an Aliens mod and put them in the banner, it would be just as useful

There are plenty of alternatives that showcase far greater abilities than Starwars in the present, maybe it could be argued it shows off transports holding multiple units, but so do other games, so lets not kid ourselves, if we're going to keep them lets be realistic about why..
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

How is anyone outside their beta supposed to know what it does and doesn't demonstrate?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Because the closed beta wasn't kept closed very well, most proactive content devs were either in the loop or gained access to the svn at some point, the torrent system meant most people had a 99.5% completed copy thanks to slip ups, for quite a while the password to download it was the same for a few people ( who weren't particularly trustworthy ), there was even a copy up on Arghs site for 6 months that he'd misplaced, it would still be there if I hadn't have pointed it out

Although I myself was never deemed worthy of involvement, I had ample opportunity thrusted upon me, despite making no effort to procure it, and so did others. Little in this community is ever kept 'secret' or behind 'closed doors' for long, as I myself have demonstrated with my own projects.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

The SW guys were the pinnacle in paranoia among spring content devs.

Which, to me is strange, because who would want to rip off their content anyway? It's not like BA is going to replace the peewee with a stormtrooper.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

even stranger considering how much the other devs invested in time and hours to get it up to date. On the other hand.. the name starts to fit: empirical winter. Nothing moves, nature rests, frozzen
knorke

Post by knorke »

the notAjokes are always twice in news, for example those are the same:
SpringFiles: New trailer
notAjoke: Procedural story
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Cursed on the other side is very rare. World is not fair.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Forboding Angel wrote:The SW guys were the pinnacle in paranoia among spring content devs.

Which, to me is strange, because who would want to rip off their content anyway? It's not like BA is going to replace the peewee with a stormtrooper.
That's unfair to gnome - It is entirely Zsinj and Lynx at fault for both the paranoia and the fact that it still hasn't been released.

Well that and I never had the balls to piss of Zsinj and just post it because I didn't want to deal with the inevitable dramatsunami.

@ AF: It shows engine content as well as any other equal number of static pixels can. I really don't see what the fuss is about.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

I don't mind taking some of the blame. After all, I went along with it and I was the one who made it actually happen.

Also, we were never trying to be ultra secretive or secure or anything like that. We're relatively realistic about the situation. We just didn't want bad publicity from an incomplete, unpolished, poorly balanced and operating game. The beta was intended to let us fix the all the bugs and get the core gameplay mechanics working while we finished the higher-level units so we could release as complete a game as we could without souring anyone's tastes too quickly.

The beta itself was a success, since we had a pretty solid and playable game going, but we didn't expect real life to hit us all so fast and halt production before we finished the "post-beta" units (btw- most are finished art-wise, they were just never scripted or anything).

That said, I still want to post the svn contents to the public but I remain outvoted on that one. I think Zsinj did agree at one point to release the beta set to the public if anyone got it fully functioning in the modern spring engine to hopefully revive interest, but I'm not for sure on that anymore and I'm not going to speak for him. If smoth/flozi/nemo/whoever else has svn access tells me right now that the IW beta works or can work with minimal updates I'll talk to Zsinj and see what we can do.

PS, the copy from Argh's site is so incredibly ancient that it might as well be the original SWTA port we released in like 2006
gajop

Post by gajop »

IIRC Couple of engine changes ago (this year), abma said it was working.
I doubt that much has changed so far.

Honestly, speaking about wanting perfect releases now is analogous to a student who has been studying for 10 years, yet still claims he wants perfect grades to impress his parents (who are no longer here now or have stopped playing Spring).

If it were released back then under as FOSS, and probably even now, I guess people would pick it up and make it work (as it did) in under a week.
At this rate we are more likely to see a new SW movie.

Return to “General Discussion”