some movies that are not from the states, any good?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

Thale seems like pans labyrinth but more horror?

Alatriste period drama/epic?

seriously interested in these, anyone seen them?
Rumpelstiltskin

Re: some movies that are not from the states, any good?

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Their ratings dont seem very promising...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Ratings I don't go by. I don't always like things other people like and vice versa
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

smoth wrote:Ratings I don't go by. I don't always like things other people like and vice versa
Yeah, but that fact is 'incorporated' in the ratings. Other people don't either like what other people like.

Edit: Viggo Mortensen as a Spanish soldier. Could be interesting.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

i dont see why we need a separate topic for movies that are not from the US. i've recommended several non-us movies in the "movie recommendation" thread. :?

edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ForeignMovies/
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Yeah, there's beer and hot chicks in that thread.
smoth

Post by smoth »

TheMightyOne wrote:i dont see why we need a separate topic for movies that are not from the US. i've recommended several non-us movies in the "movie recommendation" thread. :?

edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ForeignMovies/
because this isn't a recommendation.
VelvetClaw

Post by VelvetClaw »

There are plenty if you know where to look. It depends what you really want.

For Chinese, there are two moves I could recommend. The first one is Zhang Yimou's Ying Xiong, better known as Hero to the west. The other one would be this movie called White Deer Plain, which was recently released last year. I did not see the latter, but I saw some of the behind-the-scenes footage for it and it seemed promising.

As for French/Arab, I have been trying to get my hands on the movie Indigenes now but as French movies go everyone in this bloody country wants to see Coco Chanel and not the goumiers (though I suspect that some Spring 1944 diehards here wouldn't mind them).
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

intouchables
defend the block
that far east action movie where they assault a tower
gajop

Post by gajop »

VelvetClaw wrote:There are plenty if you know where to look. It depends what you really want.

For Chinese, there are two moves I could recommend. The first one is Zhang Yimou's Ying Xiong, better known as Hero to the west. The other one would be this movie called White Deer Plain, which was recently released last year. I did not see the latter, but I saw some of the behind-the-scenes footage for it and it seemed promising.
Can you also recommend any Chinese (standard Mandarin dialect) TV series? I've recently started learning Chinese and I'd like to practice listening a bit on my own.
smoth

Post by smoth »

VelvetClaw wrote:For Chinese, there are two moves I could recommend. The first one is Zhang Yimou's Ying Xiong, better known as Hero to the west.
This movie is one the best examples of why asian cinema sucks.

Don't be a hero or stand out. Lovers can never defy the system etc. Pretty much 90% of the action epics I watch are like this. It is so much so that I expect all romantic couples to die and all heros to meet a pathetic end where they don't even matter in history.

it pretty much locks you into the mentality of "NEVER FIGHT THE SYSTEM, YOU ARE NOTHING"etc

Although there are sparse few that break this mold. Which is one of the reasons I am a huge stephen chow fan.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

thats the confucian mindset. I dont get it, smoth? You want something really foreign, and then you just expect a re-decorated hollywood story? Expecting a happy ending in a french movie? People not screaming and cursing at each other in grey towns in a german movie?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't expect a hollywood ending. Simply put that you get emotionally invested in the characters, their story and 90% of the time, your journey with that character had no meaning. Not all films have to end with a happy ending but if you are watching a movie and the entire ending is predicted by "he is too heroic, he will die" "oh look they are in love, DEAD" well, it becomes just as tired as a hollywood happy ending but it ALSO leaves you feeling annoyed. Often times they leave you without closure.

let me give a good example of an asian movies from the same director with:

with a unhappy end:
sympathy for mr vengance

An emotional yet mixed ending
Oldboy.

a happy end:
sympathy for Mrs Vengence

Movies do not have to always end good or bad but to reject movies because they have a happy ending is stupid. Also to reject movies because they are sad is dumb as well. When it becomes the convention of an entire range of cinema and they SKEW THE PLOT to ensure a sad or stupid ending it is dumb.

As far as hollywood cinema goes, you will know if it is going to be a wedding or a couple based on if there is weed involved. Is there weed involved? No wedding. Is there "good chriztun values" wedding will ensue. More or less.

it is all the retelling of a fundamentally same story to reenforce societal views and honestly, those movies make me sick.

(I have a huge collection of asian cinema)
gajop

Post by gajop »

Well, they need a mustache in order to be immortal in Asian cinema:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUYa5aTd ... ure=fvwrel
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

maybe what you're after are "film festival" movies rather than specifically foriegn movies... seems like you're after something different or unusual or unpredictable

watched "Polisse" recently, it won stuff at Cannes (cannot remember what) and it was very good but at the same time very difficult to watch. Movie is about a child welfare sector of a police force in France somewhere. There are a lot of "what the fuck is wrong with this guy" moments when they are interrogating the pedos.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

bin-jip
in the mood for love
joint security area
chungking express

check out some russian directors: tarkovskiy, mikhalkov
smoth

Post by smoth »

KaiserJ wrote:maybe what you're after are "film festival" movies rather than specifically foriegn movies... seems like you're after something different or unusual or unpredictable
No I was just asking about those 2 because they didn't play in the states and I wanted to see them. There are a good few movies I like but general I like ones that get bad reviews, fairly recent examples:

The Golden Compass
stardust
John carter
Cloud atlas

I like films that take me on a journey to a place or time that I do not live in. I prefer some level or romance but it doesn't have to be the theme or have a happy ending.

I am not really interested in film festival stuff.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”