Stephen King - Books vs. Movies - Learn to read kids!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

WombatTheUnstoppable wrote:EDIT - also watched 'The Mist'

Pretty good for such a stupid plot.
Oh that's just Hollywood destroying a good book as usual. The original Steven King short story (in the "Night Shift" collection) was one of his best works. Most people who didn't like the film object to the ending but the short story doesn't actually have one - leaving it to the readers imagination. The only Stephen King book to ever translate well to screen was the mini-series "The Stand" but it's nearly impossible to find.

The problem with every Stephen King movie is the same. His books almost entirely rely on "psychological tension" as the driving force behind their horror and the hacks who produce his movies are universally incapable of translating that to screen (The Shining and Misery were about as good as it gets in that respect).

Cases in point:
- The BOOK "The Running Man" was about a big-brother state where rich citizens abuse their neighbours for entertainment and the poor compete in dangerous gameshows to pay their debts. The main character has to run from CIA-style bounty hunters for a month while the public is encouraged to dob him in. It concludes with a "9/11" style event. The FILM is a shit action flick where wrestlers in tights hunt Arnie in an arena.

- The SHORT STORY "The Lawnmower Man" was about a psycho who runs around his backyard naked, running over gophers with a lawnmower. The MOVIE was about a retard getting godlike powers from using a lame virtual reality system too much ???? <- WHAT THE FUCK HOLLYWOOD?

Serously, do not watch Stephen King films but take the time to read at least one of his short stories before judging the quality of his stories' plots. I recommend:

Short:
* Any story in "Night Shift" collection (esp. the Mist, The Graveyard Shift)
* Any Story in "Skeleton Crew" (esp. Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, The Jaunt)
* Any story in "The Bachman Books" collection (esp. The Long Walk, The Running Man, Rage)

Long:
* The Stand
* Under The Dome
WombatTheUnstoppable

Re: Stephen King - Books vs. Movies - Learn to read kids!

Post by WombatTheUnstoppable »

Lel, didnt expect anyone to get offended by such detail. I guess i forgot what forum it is. Deamons attacking supermarket make as much sense to me as aliens fighting battleships on the open sea.
Anyway, i find it funny how you pick on me for saying 'the movie plot is stupid', while saying yourself
who produce his movies are universally incapable of translating that to screen
. Yes, you make a lot of sense.

Silly drama is silly. You are not the first one who realised hollywood can suck badly.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I liked the mist.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

WombatTheUnstoppable wrote:Lel, didnt expect anyone to get offended by such detail. I guess i forgot what forum it is. Deamons attacking supermarket make as much sense to me as aliens fighting battleships on the open sea.
Anyway, i find it funny how you pick on me for saying 'the movie plot is stupid', while saying yourself
who produce his movies are universally incapable of translating that to screen
. Yes, you make a lot of sense.

Silly drama is silly. You are not the first one who realised hollywood can suck badly.
Way to troll yourself. I didn't think the plot was stupid, nor was I "offended" or "picking on you" or creating "silly drama". As far as plot goes the creatures and the mist itself are alien, not demon. The mist came through a gateway created by military scientists at the base outside town. It might not be a believable plot but it is internally consistent and fairly typical as sci-fi plots go. Also, unlike some of the examples I gave "The Mist" was a pretty good telling of the book - only the ending was extended and whether it spoilt the plot seems to be a matter of taste. When I said hollywood destroyed the plot I meant that in the sense it seems that way to others and only as an exaggeration.

"Silly drama" is acting like a disagreement on a movie is a personal attack.

Anyway... The plot also focused on the dangers of choosing religious nutters as leaders in times of crisis - which is something I hope Americans think about before going to the polls.

The books vs films debate might be old but the current generation don't read much anymore so I feel it's worth reminding people that some books are worth reading wether you liked the movie or not. I started this thread for that purpose, NOT because I 'm offended by your opinion.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I think you are wrong...
Books are selling like hotcakes.
Book sails are higher then ever.

Also stephen king is a cool writer but his books are PURELY entertainment.
They dont offer much insight into various issues or anything.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

There have been some stinkers, sure, but here's my list of *good* King adaptations

Shawshank
The Mangler
Pet Semetary
Stand by me
Christine
Carrie
Cujo

I feel like I've missed some; quite liked Running Man and The Mist even though they were very much unlike the stories

I remember reading that Stephen King would give the rights to his books to anyone making a movie out of them for $1 because he's been unsatisfied with previous results

feel like with Under The Dome he tries to recapture the quality of some of his earlier books with multiple viewpoints (i.e. IT) and failed miserably. IMO he just isn't current enough to give voice to "modern" characters like meth cooks that he's seen on TV and wants to include in his books.

books / stories that would make good movies:

- Talisman
- From a Buick 8

but realistically what we're going to see is a film adaptation of The Gunslinger saga; It will be horrible and overproduced, will have already-famous actors miscast into the roles, and people will be shitting themselves over HOW GOOD IT IS like twilight.

It is certainly possible that a -good- King movie could be made, but I believe there is a stigma attached to working with his material... so many people have failed to make it work on screen, so why try?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I actually read an essay by him the other day where he mentioned that he is considered the most cinematic author, having had more movies made from his writing than any other author... maybe it's a problem of volume... with so many movies there has got to be a fair share of flops.
dimm

Post by dimm »

The Mangler

There are way many cartoon satires of this. Appliance starts chasing and killing people.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

KaiserJ wrote:Smart stuff

^^ This
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

just the million monkey thing; I've read altogether too much King.

you know what would be a pretty watchable movie even if they stocked it with celebrity actors? Tommyknockers.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

KaiserJ wrote:just the million monkey thing; I've read altogether too much King.

you know what would be a pretty watchable movie even if they stocked it with celebrity actors? Tommyknockers.
You know it was adapted into a TV miniseries already right? It was watchable.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

From what I remember that series differed considerably from the book, and while it wasn't bad, it stank of "let's change X to Y because we can't afford it". IIRC people weren't even turning into aliens in the series, they were being killed by radiation or something from the ship being uncovered.

I'm thinking more of a 100 million dollar production.
knorke

Post by knorke »

KaiserJ wrote:IMO he just isn't current enough to give voice to "modern" characters like meth cooks that he's seen on TV and wants to include in his books.
Junkies, addicts, criminals often appear in his books. A meth cook does not seem out of line imo.
(but didnt read The Dome yet)
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

dark tower
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

The long walk
Roadwork

<3 <3 <3

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”