Win 8

Win 8

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Win 8

Post by rattle »

Anyone on Win 8 yet? I suspect yes... well from the looks of it, it is like 7's retarded little brother who is hooked on XBOX and likes to spend money on bullshit online.

After 1.5 hours of deactivating or removing all these silly things it's actually quite alright.
Hoi

Re: Win 8

Post by Hoi »

Windows 8 is for tablets, windows 7 is for desktops.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Pokki seems like a neat little start menu replacement.
https://www.pokki.com/

I'm not particularly enthused about win8 tbh. Win7 was a massive step forward. Win8 seems like a sidestep.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I'm happy with Windows 7. If I was thinking of changing operating systems right now I'd be thinking of Linux. Not quite ready to go for that commitment yet on my primary use machine.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

avoid non prime-number windowses
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

PicassoCT wrote:avoid non prime-number windowses
:)

so 3 and 7 it is?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

windows 3.11
double the good!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Well I've bought it since I haven't had a legit OS in years and it is like 29.99 € at this moment. As far as stability and speed go, I can't really say much after a day of use, except that I still get the usual visual glitches / video memory corruption from my GPU when certain apps run, like flash video or games on recent Unreal engines. Prolly driver issue, who knows, nvidia doesn't seem to care.

Does not boot up faster than 7, which was a huge improvement anyway, and the lack of a start menu makes it a little clumsy at first but you just gotta remember your shortcuts to do it the old way. Fuck that tile shit!

So... is this just a reskinned version of 7 or is there more to it? I'm too lazy to google my bits.
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

I think it's a piece of shit.

Only thing they are interested in is locking the customers into their OS, hardware, and software.

Currently, only option for Windows 8 for ARM or Windows RT is the Microsoft Surface tablet computer. They probably want to establish dominant market share at Christmas and let OEMs have the leftover after Christmas. Even worst they want to make it like XBOX which I think its worst since there is no hardware variety and lock people into one hardware option.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Prominence wrote:I think it's a piece of shit.

Only thing they are interested in is locking the customers into their OS, hardware, and software.
So.. Doing exactly what Apple does? :P

And that's pretty much that of all (both..) commercial OS producers.

Personally I haven't used a Windows as my main OS in around 10 years now, but I still get a daily access to them and Windows 7 wasn't that bad.
dimm

Post by dimm »

I would like to kill off all this new interface app bs. Please holler if you know a program.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

dimm wrote:I would like to kill off all this new interface app bs. Please holler if you know a program.
windows 7
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

WombatTheUnstoppable

Post by WombatTheUnstoppable »

Thats like every profit focused company wants to do? Whats so strange about it?
Win 8 price is very good, afaik the cheapest windows ever. But since microsoft is not charity, i can bet they will copy steam sooner or later.
Tbh majority of opinions ive heard are positive, not using myself tho. Win XP 4life D:
If I was thinking of changing operating systems right now I'd be thinking of Linux. Not quite ready to go for that commitment yet on my primary use machine.
Using linux ubunty hardy on my laptop for... dunno, 5 years ? Runs smooth since the very beginning, but only game i (succesfully) installed on it is fallout 2 :D

Anyway, i guess the main issue is compatibility (games). You can always have both linux and windows.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

WombatTheUnstoppable wrote:
Thats like every profit focused company wants to do? Whats so strange about it?
No, not every company thinks that 'hoping their customers are stupid enough to sit still while being vigorously shafted' is the best way to make profits.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Thank you very much. Now i just need to uninstall a bunch of apps.
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

You don't need to upgrade OS when there is no significant hardware changes. OS are specifically designed and optimized to the hardware in existence when the OS were made.
yanom

Post by yanom »

luckywaldo7 wrote: 'hoping their customers are stupid enough to sit still while being vigorously shafted'
in fairness, they usually are.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Apple has proved that time and time again.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

what i never understood is.. why this monoculture is not riddled with viruses allready.. if you get it into the appstore, you can basically have the equivalent of a forrestfire..

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”