Non-Spring Random WIP - Page 9

Non-Spring Random WIP

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr. Bob

Re: Non-Spring Random WIP

Post by Mr. Bob »

PicassoCT wrote:predators going for vurnerable parts?
And vulnerable you! Especially, in the second half, which is entirely underground.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Random thing is random... anyone know how to make it look less like a 3D render and more like a Photo of a thing?
button1.png
button1.png (59.31 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
smoth

Post by smoth »

it has no shadow, no texture to the laminate, there is no reflection yet it is shinny, needs reflection. I have no clue of what you are trying to do beyond a render of a flattened sphere. If you are trying to do a render of a THING and wonder why the THING looks unreal, give us details about THE THING.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

smoth wrote:it has no shadow, no texture to the laminate, there is no reflection yet it is shinny, needs reflection. I have no clue of what you are trying to do beyond a render of a flattened sphere. If you are trying to do a render of a THING and wonder why the THING looks unreal, give us details about THE THING.
It's supposed to be a button. My current strategy has been trying to follow a tutorial on how to make a virtual lightbox but it is exceptionally frustrating because it assumes I know stuff I don't know and when I try to learn that thing it turns out I don't understand THAT tutorial either. All those things you said actually make sense, needs shadow, needs reflection if it's shiny.
smoth

Post by smoth »

tutorials will not help you to look at the subject matter. Pick it up. hold it that close to your face.. see what kind of Details it had. Technical skill and the basics will happen a bit in a tutorial but not if it is "makle a button tutorial." you need tutorials that will help you learn the skillsets you need, material settings, normal groups, altering geometry etc
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

per vertex lighting never looks properly like metal or metalic paint.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

You need a proper environment with global illumination. Even for something this small.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

I read about your project and would it not be easier to produce a few of the buttons, and make pictures of them?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Hoi wrote:I read about your project and would it not be easier to produce a few of the buttons, and make pictures of them?
If I HAD a button maker, yes... but I don't have one. While I could very likely order a few buttons made for a few bucks each I would prefer to not have to spend any money to get the Kickstarter started in the first place... I don't have much faith in it's ultimate success so I want to limit my investment to only personal effort.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Could you not take a photo of a generic one and then photoshop the design on top?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

AF wrote:Could you not take a photo of a generic one and then photoshop the design on top?
Hmmm... that would be better than the nothing I've accomplished so far...
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

or instead of learning useless PC stuff, you could do something useful for humanity, and mow your neighbours lawn, to get bucks for the buttons. you might even be finished sooner, son!
also... the image needs a background, to not look like a render ;-)
you see.. always ask the next hillbilly first!
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Progress is steady!
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Looks good.

Can you drop the grass objects an elmo or two so you don't get the gap?
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

The foliage does actually intersect with the ground, but ue3's cascade shadow system looks worse the farther you are away from the actual shadow. Unfortunately, we sort of have to have it like this to avoid crazy performance costs. When you get closer, it does sharpen up though.
smoth

Post by smoth »

considering how much moisture/particles the atmosphere has, you may want to soften the shadows to match how the light would be bouncing around everwhurr
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Buildings Redux. The last ones were pretty bad so we just went with strait industrial. This makes more sense with the storyline anyway.

There will be a crashed truck with a dead guy in it that the player will be able to investigate. (All of the cargo dumped into the little man-made spring etc.) The guy I have working on it isn't done though.

The structure itself is a powerplant and a water treatment facility that serves the area.

(Right click for much much larger images.)
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Very cool, Bob!
I don't know what it is, but something about this latest batch of screenshots makes me think of Myst.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I'm an intern at a place and I have a lot of free time between jobs so I had to find something to fill my time.

I made a really boring car. It could probably use some textures in certain places but I'm not sure if I want to take the effort right now. I'm going to try to post random WIP stuff here from now on to help motivate myself to actually do things.

Now if only they'll start paying me!

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

still nice work though.

Can we have internals ?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”