vsync buffering mode, refresh rate, anisotropic filtering

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Manoa

Post by Manoa »

at the moment in order to control the vsync buffering mode you have to go to the video card's control panel and enable/disable triple buffering. it would be nice to have the ability to control the vsync buffering mode from spring.

the same goes with the refresh rate, to force a refresh rate I have to start an external program (RefreshLock) to set the monitor's refresh rate to what I want before I start spring. it would be nice to have a config parameter added to control the vertical refresh rate.

antialiasing is supported in the engine, but some hardware is capable of more AA methods, such as MLAA, SSAA, MSAA and so forth, in most cases these 'special' modes cannot be activated because they require application support otherwise they don't work, it would be nice to have these supported natively in the engine.

some aspects of anisotropic filtering are already in place, for example SMFTexAniso, BumpWaterAnisotropy, but not all of them, what if I want to enable anisotropic filtering on the units as well ? right now in order to enable anisotropic filtering on everything you have to go to the video card's control panel and force it onto spring, it would be better if there was a parameter that would allow the control of anisotropic filtering on everything in the game.
jK
Spring Developer

Re: vsync buffering mode, refresh rate, anisotropic filterin

Post by jK »

1. triple buffering is unknown to OpenGL as a whole (there aren't even extensions)
2. refresh rate is an OS property
3. for supporting other AAs we would need to get rid of SDL, I am waiting for a pull request then
4. anisotropic filtering makes only sense on large faces. On models the difference isn't notable.

Return to “Feature Requests”