Endless space

Endless space

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Endless space

Post by SwiftSpear »

How does it compare to MoO2, GalCiv2, Space Empires V?

Anyone played who's willing to put their 2 cents in?
klapmongool

Re: Endless space

Post by klapmongool »

I don't like it. Maybe I was expecting too much after playing Sins of a Solar Empire but there is more. Combat is very very weird: the way combat is conducted as well as the results.

You can choose between manually and automatically doing combat. When you pick manual it has 3 main rounds for each of which you can choose a card (yes, a card.. wtf i thought i had a fleet packed with guns) that has certain properties. Depending on which card the enemy picks you deal/take more or less damage that round. If you pick automatic it just does something, dunno how it chooses.

In the end it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot considering that large fleets always beat smaller fleets. This is where it gets weirder: a single fleet of strength '10' can defeat 5 fleets of '5' easily... This is where I stopped playing (I had the '10' btw)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Theres multiple hours of footage on youtube and it's basically enhanced rock paper scissors in space. The combat system in this game feels like one of these interactive games everyone hated in the past... it feels tacked on. To me it makes little difference to the "combat" in GalCiv2, except that you have to click some buttons a couple of times. The rest of the game as in the economics and 4X aspects are no different from what you can see in other games.

I got really excited with that rush of these new 4X games but none feature the classic turn-based MoO2 combat system or a similar ship designer that made the game so much fun. I wouldn't mind a clone of Pax Imperia 2 either, the game basically is MoO2 in realtime.

http://stardrivegame.com/ - this I find rather interesting
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

The thing for me, I'm not a big fan of full RTS 4X. I don't necessarily want to micromanage every turn, but I like the option to if I want. It bothers me in games when I feel like I'm racing my opponent in order to get enough actions in in time to beat them. I really like the casual pace of a real grand turned based strategy, so I'm willing to forgo some of the niceties of better designed combat systems if the rest of the game is solid. I've always liked the civ games for example, and combat is basically just dice rolling in those games.

Also, it makes sense to me that you don't throw a small fleet against a large fleet. (although I guess that's part of the problem, the AI hasn't figured that out)
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

Watched this today on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H1wK1dFXg
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

rattle wrote:http://stardrivegame.com/ - this I find rather interesting
Wow, that game's ugly as sin!

Although that does nothing to discourage me :)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

SwiftSpear wrote:
rattle wrote:http://stardrivegame.com/ - this I find rather interesting
Wow, that game's ugly as sin!

Although that does nothing to discourage me :)
topdown 3D but it looks like it could be fun
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

TheMightyOne wrote:Watched this today on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H1wK1dFXg
Ya, he makes it look interesting, but he really doesn't compare it at all to what else is out there. So far I'm hearing "it's generally weaker" though.

I'll probably get it still, but I think I'll wait till it's on sale.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

rattle wrote:I wouldn't mind a clone of Pax Imperia 2 either, the game basically is MoO2 in realtime.
Pax 2 gets boring quite fast (mainly because of some AI faults, I guess it should be better in multiplayer).
Ship design is interesting there though, like you can research the first light fighter, take a transport hull (available from the start) and put fighters in there, and here's your improvised carrier which beats AI ships up to and including cruisers(available much later) 1 on 1.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The major flaw in Pax 2 is the difficulty setting which determines type of planet your homeworld is and up to what hull level the AI can go... other than that it was a lot of fun when I played it as a kid, plus it has a brilliant soundtrack by Jeehun Hwang.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I clocked > 100h on endless space. So far AI is very very bad (easy to beat even on hardest difficulty and it gets massive bonuses even on easiest).

Also game is not properly balanced/designed yet, huge chunks of tech tree or combat action cards are simply useless.

And over time the GUI is pretty tedious for common tasks you must do.

It has nice gui/presentation and interesting planet development though.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

What about freaking Sins rebellion?
Anyone tried it?Any good?

Oh, what about sword of the stars 2? I know it was horrible when it was released but the devs were releasing patches constantly last time i checked.
Anyone has it?

Oh eh, how about legends of pegasus?
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:What about freaking Sins rebellion?
Anyone tried it?Any good?
Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion is pretty good, like Sins itself. Just some more units and stuff.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I find that SoaSE is just an average ordinary RTS that takes ideas from *craft
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I know, seeing my zerglings go into phase space just isn't the same anymore
Rumpelstiltskin

rattle wrote:I find that SoaSE is just an average ordinary RTS that takes ideas from *craft
Hmm I'd still prefer to see a "civilization version of Sins" than a "Sins version of civilization"...
I like the idea of having a slow real time RTS with all the depth of a 4x or a turn based civ like game.
It works great especially for single player cause you can speed things or slow things down as much as you want.

As for 4x All id want is Moo2 with A new control mechanism so managing sprawling empires is not so tedious.
I think though that GalCiv shortcomings were that all the visual style of the ships races portraits were so lame and boring...
In a turn based Game The portraits and voices and whatever art that comes with the races is super important.It sets the tone IMO.

Like in Stardrive.The pics of the races are awesome... I hope that game will deliver all it promises.

But again did anyone try Sword of the stars 2? It has been patched around 60 times now since it's release.I wonder if its any good yet.
It had amazing potential.
Seems even the pirates have given up on it.
So many patches..I'm just afraid of getting it on steam since it was so broken on release.
scifi

Post by scifi »

endless space battle engine killed the experience for me...

Even though you can say a 4x with good empire management might skip the battle phase, well endless space doesn't have that complexity and immersion to skip battles.
The rest its a simple average looking 4x imo.

Sins of a solar empire rebellion is just an expansion, the mods made for sins add way much more complexity to the game, although i dare say its a good expansion but you must love the game to get it. If you just like the game go get a mod for it :wink:.

SOTS sword of the stars II is a lot better but its in a bugged state.When they get the ai fixed, and the dam multiplayer going ill return to it.
They have ironed out the major bugs, now theyr working on a playable game, like a decent ai, and multiplayer servers, theres still some ui lag, so if i were you ,go look at the latest change log , log into the forums ask around youll get a lot of feedback.

From me i can say the game is not yet ready, i will wait another month, cause the game looks fantastic.
btw demonoid has a guy uploading all the patches(you didnt hear me say it though :!: )
Rumpelstiltskin

I assume that since you are playing with the latest patches you bought it?
That demonoid area is not working...with all the patches...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

As for 4x All id want is Moo2 with A new control mechanism so managing sprawling empires is not so tedious.
probably the most intelligent scentence I've read in a while

it's the same with x-com and all the other old "remakes" that get turned into something new full of shit that is unnecessary and unwanted by the respective communities

SOTS II was a big disappointment for me... constant GPU based system crashes and graphical glitches that persist until today. The game was made for DX10.1 shaders which wasn't stated at all. Older GPUs like the nvidia 9800 have graphical glitches with a certain shader that makes the game really annoying to look at. I played it a little but the crashes.. oh the crashes. The original SOTS was quite fun on the other hand.
dimm

Post by dimm »

TheMightyOne wrote:Watched this today on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H1wK1dFXg
Thank you. Let's plays are always useful.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”