Small Supreme Battlefield Revisited v0(with download)

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Because I've got a little ambitious and tried learning too many things about spring at once; this has taken me a little longer than I planned, but before I delve to deep into everything I thought I should maybe get this out in the public a little at least.

So for now here's v0, if you wanna mess around with it.
Small Supreme Battlefield revisited v0
This is for the most part just a preview of what I'm going for, and not even close to done (it could be, I just got a little lost in all my projects).
If anyone wants the source just let me know.
Last edited by Funkencool on 27 Aug 2012, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Re: Small Supreme Battlefield Revisited

Post by dansan »

Wow - these look great!

Can you make some shores/beaches have a little less waves in the sand? Normally sand on a beach is rather smooth and flat.

Please keep an eye on the build space provided on top of the rocks NE (screen00172.png) and SW - they are sometimes important for land->sea fight.

I'm looking so much forward to play on this :)
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Looks great!

It seems like there are way less trees than in v2. I'm fine with that tbh, but it does change the map considerably.
smoth

Post by smoth »

what are the bumpwater settings you are using?
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

8) Thanks for all the feedback
dansan wrote:Wow - these look great!

Can you make some shores/beaches have a little less waves in the sand? Normally sand on a beach is rather smooth and flat.

Please keep an eye on the build space provided on top of the rocks NE (screen00172.png) and SW - they are sometimes important for land->sea fight.

I'm looking so much forward to play on this :)
Yea I can mess around with it and see what I come up with, and as far as build space gos the heightmap is almost entirely intact (I just had to convert it to 16bit) or are you talking about the features on them?
klapmongool wrote:It seems like there are way less trees than in v2. I'm fine with that tbh, but it does change the map considerably.
I'm not entirely done with feature placement yet, but I also don't want to over do it with the more expensive features. I don't wanna mess with the formula to much but I'm sure people will adapt.
smoth wrote:what are the bumpwater settings you are using?
I'm still tweaking all the settings in mapinfo and I'm not sure of all the things I should avoid yet but I like the look so far.
water = {
damage = 0.0,

repeatX = 0.0,
repeatY = 0.0,

absorb = {0.004, 0.004, 0.002},
baseColor = {0.4, 0.6, 0.8},
minColor = {0.1, 0.1, 0.23},

ambientFactor = 1.3,
--diffuseFactor = 0.3,
specularFactor = 0.5,
specularPower = 2.0,

--planeColor = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0},

surfaceColor = {0.65, 0.7, 0.75},
surfaceAlpha = 0.1,
--diffuseColor = {0.55, 0.4, 0.3},
specularColor = {0.5, 0.5, 0.5},

fresnelMin = 0.3,
fresnelMax = 0.8,
fresnelPower = 4.0,

reflectionDistortion = 1.0,

blurBase = 2.0,
blurExponent = 1.5,

perlinStartFreq = 8.0,
perlinLacunarity = 3.0,
perlinAmplitude = 0.9,
windSpeed = 1.0, --// does nothing yet

shoreWaves = true,
forceRendering = false,
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Funkencool wrote: I'm not entirely done with feature placement yet, but I also don't want to over do it with the more expensive features. I don't wanna mess with the formula to much but I'm sure people will adapt.
Fair enough. Some computers really get bogged down with the new trees. Also i'v always thought the abundance of trees on v2 was a bit much.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

it looks very appealing and clean; i like the new features and i love the texture. you've done a very good job with the map settings and ssmf, it looks fantastic.

there are always some small imperfections that cause an imbalance of sides with a non-symmetrical map (my personal bugaboo with SSB was IIRC that the island in the lower right seemed to have more buildspace than its opposing element in the top left) but these can't really be considered flaws on a remake of a classic map that holds true to the original shape

great stuff. what's next?
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

That's extremely encouraging :mrgreen: and I'm not sure, I had some old heightmaps I'd like to finish but I kind of lost steam on those. I seen SirArtturi had some unfinished work I might mess around with tho
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Imo the flat areas need more variation. Also, your grass texture might need a little variation here and there as atm it gets kinda bland.

If you like using post processing, you can use photoshop with an alpha mask and a clouds render to add subtle color variations pretty easily.

Good work! I like it!
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

great work, you've really got those water settings down :-)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Set fog distance to 0.7 So It doesn't obscure.
Sprang

Post by Sprang »

In the map, there is one ramp leading from water to the bases that, while looking hover passable, really isn't. Could you make it passable?

Also, dry version, anyone? :-)
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Sprang wrote:In the map, there is one ramp leading from water to the bases that, while looking hover passable, really isn't. Could you make it passable?
I most definitely could but not sure which one your refering to I'll take a look and see if it sticks out at me.
Sprang wrote:Also, dry version, anyone? :-)
I plan on adding it through lua as a map option, I just need to get my lua down a little more before I release anything.
I also have a ton more ideas for map options that I hope I can figure out and get working. One of those is having multiple feature placement sets, e.g. one for low end machines and one for high end machines, or one for a dry version that adds features wear there used to be water.
In the end, I would like to make the map as customizable as possible through the map option interface (while still not too cluttered),but I'll probably release the first version before I get lost in my ambition.

Edit:
Forboding Angel wrote:Set fog distance to 0.7 So It doesn't obscure.
I also did this (for all my maps) thanks for the advise :-)
Sprang

Post by Sprang »

I most definitely could but not sure which one your refering to I'll take a look and see if it sticks out at me.
Cool!

ZK doesn't really support mapoptions currently though, and also the map rotation system works better, when there's both a dry version and a watery version. Thus, I suggest to release both.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Sprang wrote: Cool!

ZK doesn't really support mapoptions currently though, and also the map rotation system works better, when there's both a dry version and a watery version. Thus, I suggest to release both.
Yea I was thinking about that (and how I wish zk did :regret:), and I figured I would just release the same map(with name to reflect) but with the default set to dry just for simplicity's sake (dry version could still be wet and vice-versa in other lobbys).
JW, is support for map options planned for 0k lobby?

and would this happen to be the spot?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Dude, blueprint has all those options. Of course you could add more, but don't re-invent the wheel.

Also, for a proper remake, ssmf.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Forboding Angel wrote:Dude, blueprint has all those options. Of course you could add more, but don't re-invent the wheel.

Also, for a proper remake, ssmf.
It does now (at least mine does for now) :-) I've been tweaking the blueprint for awhile. So far I've:
Replaced snow/rain widget with one that works with my comp;
Added settable water level (for dry map or just different water levels);
Added settable water damage (anything besides 0 makes acidic looking);
Fixed broken inverted heightmap lua (thanks to smoth);
Added changeable feature sets (I have three for SSB so far);

and I would never release my map without ssmf :mrgreen: , the above pic is just the minimap
Sprang

Post by Sprang »

The ramp that I mean is right south of that spot you highlighted in the picture. :)

Also, working snow & rain widgets, awesome! Though I wonder how long it'll take for them to get broken again by something...
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

How do you set your water level?
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

I hacked together this
---------------------------------
-- Water Level (minheight)
---------------------------------
if mapinfo.smf.minheight and mapinfo.smf.maxheight then
local min,max = mapinfo.smf.minheight, mapinfo.smf.maxheight
local level = Spring.GetMapOptions().wlevel
mapinfo.smf.minheight = -level
mapinfo.smf.maxheight = max + (-level - min)
else
return
end
and it seams to work (tho I have no idea what I'm doing), basically I just set how deep I want the water. Yet it always crashes when "creating water" if I don't have any water (positive minheight/negative water level).

Return to “Map Releases”