smoth's junk. - Page 4

smoth's junk.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: smoth's junk.

Post by PicassoCT »

In terms of very realism, transporting ammo at whatever distance means increasing the chance for a jam, so near the gun it goes no matter how else that blows
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

BattleTechGun.png
(4.62 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
I don't know, for "mobile suit guns in a science fiction setting" it seems reasonably plausible... though you'd need your feeder to have a curvy part to get the bullets pointed the right way.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

while we at it, what sort of bullets are we actually taking about? Could use caseless ammo, for example.. or is the ammo stored as seperate components (one bulledstorage, one explosive fuel storage)...

cases are actually quite a outdated concept... the only reasone they still exist, is they have the tendency to take a lot of heat out of the chamber with them..
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

it's no wonder smoth gets instant negative reaction to this model.
this is smoths junks thread, and then you show someone elses with two .. thingies. that's pure trolling!
Last edited by hoijui on 13 Jul 2012, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

rattle wrote:Isnt ammo that is exposed like this rather dangerous? what about tri-barrels? I think they're sexier than the ordinary minigun look
I can do that sure.
Das Bruce wrote:In terms of realism, having the ammo where it is means a lot of weight high and a high center of gravity.
the weight is not an issue, internal to the joints they float using magnetic repulsion(AKA MAGIC)
PicassoCT wrote:In terms of very realism, transporting ammo at whatever distance means increasing the chance for a jam, so near the gun it goes no matter how else that blows
That is my thought and why the drums are so close to the guns.
PicassoCT wrote:cases are actually quite a outdated concept... the only reasone they still exist, is they have the tendency to take a lot of heat out of the chamber with them..
I would agree but people like seeing big cases flying out of the gun. even still they may end up with a combustible shell in order to facilitate the recoil-less canon mechanism I want. Not sure if that answers the question though
smoth

Post by smoth »

(click for larger)(do I really need to keep doing this red text?)

alright guys, 3 barrels or 6?
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Since you stated there would be variants of this model for different units, I would do both. If this unit is a more powerful one, I'd give it 6 barrels, an save 3 barrels for a less powerful unit.
And I think 6 fits better on a stocky physique and 3 better on a more slender one.

Also, I read your story, and I liked it :-) . Especially the part about fighting monopoly on a technology and reverse engineering this technology when it becomes lost.

But I think mainly the part which involves space travel introduces some irregularities. For instance it seems strange to me how warring factions can still battle after being isolated by not having access to space travel. And I don't understand how this isolation arises.

There are more strange things but I'll just say that the events in paragraph 3 and 4 are most unclear to me. :-)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

three with rounded trianular pieces to hold the barrels in place
smoth

Post by smoth »

FireStorm_ wrote:Also, I read your story, and I liked it :-) . Especially the part about fighting monopoly on a technology and reverse engineering this technology when it becomes lost.

But I think mainly the part which involves space travel introduces some irregularities. For instance it seems strange to me how warring factions can still battle after being isolated by not having access to space travel. And I don't understand how this isolation arises.

There are more strange things but I'll just say that the events in paragraph 3 and 4 are most unclear to me. :-)
The *energycompany* facilities getting destroyed was kinda an accident. The ships require a lot of powercells, after taking down *energy company* the corporations had to play it safe. So they didn't want to chance losing powercores with no ability to replace them. The general populace believes that when *energycompany* is taken down there will be no more powercores. With what they scavenged from the facilities and had on them at the time(maintenance books, actual cores etc) they knew it would be enough to reverse engineer and replace production. Like I said though, any direct attempt to tamper with the cores was known to cause the cores to fall apart. Of course, this didn't stop them from turning on each other also, there was fighting to be sure, they had fleets of warships.

Even still much of their fleets were either stripped of their cores and reduced to power sources or relegated to orbital protection. So pretty much any space travel or space warfare was a huge gambit which would have had very little justified gain for the risk. Instead they focused simultaneously(REMARKABLE I KNOW) on developing their own ability to produce power cores.

does that help? Much of what I typed earlier is jumbled and incoherent as I was falling asleep while typing it last night.
smoth

Post by smoth »

rattle wrote:three with rounded trianular pieces to hold the barrels in place
Cannot update, at work now
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

kinda like this
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

smoth wrote:does that help?
Yes. :-)
smoth wrote:Instead they focused simultaneously(REMARKABLE I KNOW) on developing their own ability to produce power cores.
I'd say copying your enemy's weapon research to stop it from having tactical advantage is not that far fetched. I think the development of the atomic bomb is an example.

Also:
I wonder if the story will have a role in the game, apart from explaining where the units come from. (I'm thinking finding a hidden bonus on the map, in the form of an old type energycompany powercore. Stuff like that perhaps :-) )

In any case, I think a story can be helpful in developing game play ideas or making ideas match the rest of the existing stuff.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

hoijui wrote:this is smoths junks thread, and then you show someone elses with two .. thingies. that's pure trolling!
Does that make Smoth a marsupial?
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

smoth wrote:Image
(click for larger)(do I really need to keep doing this red text?)

alright guys, 3 barrels or 6?
well if u want it to be a far shooting brawler, make the barrels longer and give it 3......

if you want it to be a high dps but little range sort of deal, 6 will work

i personally loved it's old head, but practically speaking the pilot will not see much of the battlefield with that one
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The head is not the view port.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

smoth wrote:
Das Bruce wrote:In terms of realism, having the ammo where it is means a lot of weight high and a high center of gravity.
the weight is not an issue, internal to the joints they float using magnetic repulsion(AKA MAGIC)
But it will still give the unit as a whole a high centre of gravity.

Also, I think I prefer the six barrel look. The three isn't proportionate to the rest of the model.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Now if we are talking about realism, how does the pilot climb down the mecha in case of an non-lethal breakdown? And where are the mechanics hatches? Fuel Depots and Lines? And while we are at it, the mechanical part most used (joints and feets) are those we have to exchange the most, so were are the bolts to remove those parts?

And where is the rest of you guys... its smoth, dont be shy, you can request whateverrest you want, dont be shy!

(Not aimed at FireStorm and Beherith)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

PicassoCT wrote:Now if we are talking about realism, how does the pilot climb down the mecha in case of an non-lethal breakdown?

A ladder or rope stored in the cockpit compartment.
And where are the mechanics hatches? Fuel Depots and Lines? And while we are at it, the mechanical part most used (joints and feets) are those we have to exchange the most, so were are the bolts to remove those parts?
That's texture-level detail, it does not belong on the mesh.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

smoth wrote:fluff
Core, Core, Core ...

So Smoth is making a *A?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

No, an Armored Core :P