Small jobs on NOTA web

Small jobs on NOTA web

Moderators: smartie, Thor, PepeAmpere, Moderators, Content Developer

PepeAmpere

Small jobs on NOTA web

Post by PepeAmpere »

NOTA has own website - http://nota.machys.net

There are needed some updates and content upgrades, but Im busy with maintaining the mod, so here is space for some people interested to do that.

TODO list for next few moths

MAP MANUAL TRANSLATION - theres needed translation of remaining map-manuals (from czech to english) or creating new ones for some new maps. Result of work is here.

TACTIC/STRATEGIC MANUAL - there are some old manuals (diffs and basic intro) where you get some inspiration, how to make new manual pages describing basic warfare rules of NOTA
- first buildlist
- spacing between units
- still moving army is worse target for enemy
- expanding
- assisting
- many factories of one type? = its usuall
- mass airdrops
- using moho engeneer
- making queue in factory/buildlist
- using special keys - patrol, reclaim, defend, ...

HITPARADE of 10 THE MOST SILLY THINGs - some list of most silly things what newbies mostly do in PvP games with images showing the silly things.
- coastal spam
- defensive weapons spam
- many expansions hubs used lika nanos
- no army
- no spacing
- no airpads
- using one type of units whole game every game

CONTACT + CREDITS, to list all active AND NON-ACTIVE developers, too, that helped to create and enhance the game

HISTORY of development, not needed on page, but maybe good on FB page

HOW TO HELP US.. PAGE - list all possible ways how to help your game - using traditional methods and some odd ones, too ;) it need some nice table with nice icons..
+ columns: money, time, fun, techKnowdledge....
+ lines: types of help
types:
- playing and watching the game
- discussing on forum and on the web
- sending replays to NOTA TV
- making some media (link)
- marking data for AI learning/training
- providing server
- sending money to server providers (Licho)
- sending money to creators of game and lobby

UNIT STATS - page providing the same info as modinfo.unknownfiles,... was providing before. It needs some XML skills and some programing skills for making perl or lua script that transform UnitDefs from every stable version of the game for the page.
AF
AI Developer

Re: Small jobs on NOTA web

Post by AF »

Oooo WordPress, and a modified twentyten theme

I've a version of twentyeleven with a NivoSlider for the header that hooks into the default header code for slides if you'd like it, should be easy to backport to twentyten and it only modifies the header.php file
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

AF wrote:Oooo WordPress, and a modified twentyten theme

I've a version of twentyeleven with a NivoSlider for the header that hooks into the default header code for slides if you'd like it, should be easy to backport to twentyten and it only modifies the header.php file
I've edited the theme by myself and there quite a lot of changes and size balances, so i prefere the way to put the plugin you are talking about in page instead of only "changing" the theme to some other version. For example images in header are changed by my php script, theres special HP with special behavior, css file has some of my special settings for special pages as map-manuals, units,... , so I dont plan to use whole new theme.

So again, plugin looks cool, when i get some time ill test it. Thx for idea AF.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

NOTA needs page on Wikipedia until the big PR offensive starts. Is someone interested?
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

PepeAmpere wrote:UNIT STATS - page providing the same info as modinfo.unknownfiles,... was providing before. It needs some XML skills and some programing skills for making perl or lua script that transform UnitDefs from every stable version of the game for the page.
Done. More in dev thread
MasterZH

Post by MasterZH »

few points about website:
[-] Tags everywhere
[-] annoying tags on all news
[-] Only notajokes on main/home page (new screenshots?news from dev?random shit talk to read?)
[-] Its hard to find image description on main page as there are [news title][lot of tags][text][notajoke title][image] at least for me it look little bit messy...
[-] sections on right side are a bit hidden(Guide/Project links/FORUM/LOG IN)
[+] Its all done by you so :mrgreen: we love you!
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

MasterZH wrote:[-] Tags everywhere
What's bad on tags? It helps you to find you related info. And they are not shown on main page list of news.
MasterZH wrote:[-] annoying tags on all news
the same answer
MasterZH wrote:[-] Only notajokes on main/home page (new screenshots?news from dev?random shit talk to read?)
there are some other news, not only notAjokes!, but yes, not many news. I made decision to "make" some news instead of talk about them. I have not time for both - but no problem for interested guys to do it.
MasterZH wrote:[-] Its hard to find image description on main page as there are [news title][lot of tags][text][notajoke title][image] at least for me it look little bit messy...
Currently there are no images descriptions under images, mostly, because:

1) post have short text -> title + subtitle + image + short text + another title of another post, so many things there
2) there are on-mouse-over descriptions of images mostly
3) the genre of of image title doesnt fit in desing of page a lot (i dont like it much, yes)

You are true, its mess sometimes, but still better (less mess) then most of the pages of all games i know :).

Btw, not logged user browsing HP doesnt see TAGS, thats not true.
MasterZH wrote:[-] sections on right side are a bit hidden(Guide/Project links/FORUM/LOG IN)
True. Some of them are planned to be moved in top menu.
MasterZH wrote:[+] Its all done by you so :mrgreen: we love you!
The reason why it is so spartan or not perfect is, yes, its done by me, but the main reason is: its done only by me. I'm interested more in content, less in visual-effect. If effect cost a lot, i likely use the time for game developent, not for page.

I like the good visual look like, too, but it cost a lot, and has small effect on new players. Most of our players are not RTS newbies, they are people with OTA experience.

And... i dont like a lot of visual-effects on the same place. I like simple things, (123) Oh yeah! :)
MasterZH

Re: Website feedback

Post by MasterZH »

Hello its me again. I am glad we have our own web but still its not perfect. Instead of blind criticism i will try to suggest few ideas and help.

Legend
:arrow: = i can help with this

1.FRONT PAGE:

-New and more welcome info-shots(those changing SWF) :arrow:
-title:"NOTA – M.F.S.G."(above SWF) can be associated/linked with "about" section
-"about" section can contain info WTH nota is...(also rename to about NOTA to make it clear?)
-page<head>(webpage tab name) should be changed and right-top corner title removed...
-Nota facebook button is nice but can have smooth colored/black/gray/etc border(same with spring engine - btw why is it on top? we need Guide/differences/intro/forum more then advertise spring)

(right-click+open for bigger)
yea bit offtopic pic i get bored at work today :P

2.MEDIA:
...section is mess, we need nicer arrangement and new system of subcategories if its possible(roll menu from media button? or separate category titles on top)
-more media also loading screens for NOTA mod :arrow:

3.OLD GUIDE:
do we have access to change stuff on http://springrts.com/wiki/NOTA?
Can we contact some1 to get it as we are now ACTIVE true developers/members of this mod(i hope with permission)

Rest as before:
- remove tag-wall from side panel
- move important stuff on main black vertical menu

thanks to our NOTaGOD pepe and his Archangels
peace for our angry moderators :twisted:
knorke

Post by knorke »

do we have access to change stuff on http://springrts.com/wiki/NOTA?
yes, it is a wiki. Means anyone can edit it. Log in with forum name+password.
http://springrts.com/wiki/SpringWiki here is some more info how it works
MasterZH

Post by MasterZH »

Can we add NOTA kbots-vehs-buildings-defences etc to "pulldown menu"?
Also maybe link ships to matching unit info page.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

MasterZH wrote:Image
Can we add NOTA kbots-vehs-buildings-defences etc to "pulldown menu"?
Also maybe link ships to matching unit info page.
If you make "page" (not "post"!) with screens for "kbots-vehs-buildings-defences etc", just select in right column of WPeditor "Parent" of this page => "NOTA units" instead default "no parent". It will be automaticly applied in menu.

Return to “NOTA”