Diablo III

Diablo III

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Zydox
Lobby Developer

Diablo III

Post by Zydox »

Soo... who's playing this game now?

Seen a few threads with other discussions about Diablo, but couldn't find any real information about who's playing it...

obviously, I'm playing it at least :)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Diablo III

Post by Forboding Angel »

D3 is built for the casual gamer.

Path of Exile scoffs at casual gamers (which is why I stopped playing it).

Torchlight 2 seems to be a good melding of all things good and wonderful when it comes to hack and slash (I haven't played it yet). But I don't particularly like the cartoony art style :-(
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Forb, don't make me choke a bitch.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

What, you a PoE fan?

Point out where I am wrong.

If you're going on about PoE and casual gamers comment, then you need to spend more time on their forums. PoE is most certainly NOT a game for casual gamers, and that statement is backed by not just the players, but the developers as well.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Zydox wrote:Soo... who's playing this game now?
Forboding Angel wrote:Only barely related topic that's been covered elsewhere.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I am still playing D3 most chances I get. Although I find it increasingly frustrating (super difficult higher difficulties and the evil that is the real money auction house) the actual game itself is still fun. I'm currently just trying to build up the various classes. Doing Barbarian now (I have a lvl 50's wizard and monk), will likely move to Witch doctor and demon hunter sometime soon.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I play it mostly when I can't think of anything better to do. I don't find it very fun, it just feels far too shallow and the loot is garbage (pretty much all just boring stat increases with little consideration beyond "do I take DPS or defense"). And then there are the technical issues with the internet connection BS that can produce random lag spikes in a game where survival depends heavily on dodging enemy attacks. It feels too much like Boringlands.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I feel like anyone who ever spends a single penny on buying gear from the real life auction house is a massive clown.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i dont play, but have enjoyed reading peoples reports on the scale of botting in the new diablo

apparently bots will be undetectable for 3-4 months yet, and there are already thousands of them in operation. apparently some constantly net 60 million gold per hour, which in turn by bringing more active currency into the game causes repair prices for items to skyrocket

something i thought was interesting re: the auction house... blizzard nets 15% of your money by calling it a "paypal fee" (when the actual fee is only 1%) and also limits the maximum price of real money auctions for $250
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

KaiserJ wrote:apparently some constantly net 60 million gold per hour, which in turn by bringing more active currency into the game causes repair prices for items to skyrocket
Oh, so repair prices are based on the global economy? That sounds stupid.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

that was the impression that i got; also that an oversaturation of gold would make items in the regular auction house needlessly expensive
smoth

Post by smoth »

I feel happy that I didn't cave and buy this. I was really tempted but just knew it was going to go awry with this whole economy thing they are doing.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I wouldn't worry about the economy, if you don't bother with the AH then money is only for crafters which charge fixed prices.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

NO ONE HA HA HA!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... 7-Diablo-3
It feels too much like Boringlands.
I've played Boringlands for as much as 48 hours for two playthroughs. Terrible game, terrible game! Once you've seen it all there isn't really anything to pull you back into it.

So in D3 unless you can actually earn real money with the auction house thing without heavy time investment I don't see a point in playing this game.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I rather like random dungeons and loot, I dislike having less control over character development. It takes away the re-playability. If I wanted to grind for hours facing pseudo random encounters playing a character whose skill set is terribly limited I would play final fantasy.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

what the general consensus of people I've heard playing it is:
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

smoth wrote:I feel happy that I didn't cave and buy this. I was really tempted but just knew it was going to go awry with this whole economy thing they are doing.
I did cave and did buy this, and regret it every second I play it. I am hopeful it might eventually be a fun multiplayer game with my friends tho(the reason I caved), after enough patches.
I would much rather have just bought torchlight 2 3 times and gave 2 copies away for the money I put towards a mediocre at best game.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

rattle wrote:I've played Boringlands for as much as 48 hours for two playthroughs. Terrible game, terrible game! Once you've seen it all there isn't really anything to pull you back into it.
It even has the same feeling of "I don't like playing this but I don't have anything better to do either". I suppose that's the effect of basic conditioning as MMOs usually use it. I mean, I like loot games but I want to actually feel like a piece of loot is something new, not just a barely perceptible stat change. Hellgate had tons of interesting loot and allowed you a lot of tuning potential to really get the guns you want but Boringlands or Diablo 3 just give you numbers that you can't really feel and sometimes gives you stuff with bigger numbers that still feels the same.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I don't know, I still found tons of variety in Borderland's gun, especially with the "unique" ones: Shotguns that shoot rockets, sub-machine gun with ricoching tracers, machinegun that doesn't stop firing until half the bullet stash is gone, heal-back rifles, ...

Even amongst the regular, simple stats change like super powerful two-shots shotty vs regular power twenty rounds magazine shotty make them don't play the same at all. Add to that the varied elemental effects, magnification ratio, spread, and I rarely felt like I was using twice the same model of gun.

So sure most of the white-green drops quickly felt the same (and fill the inventory annoyingly fast), but I still have too many different guns to choose from.

However, what was really boring in Bordeland is how the same three enemies and same two sceneries are reused over and over over the course of the whole game.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

zwzsg wrote:I don't know, I still found tons of variety in Borderland's gun...

I completely agree, I actually really enjoyed borderlands for numerous reasons including that. I couldnt have asked for much more diversity out of two weapon types, a guns (yea different types but still all guns) and rocket launchers, and although I didn't use them much I guess the eridian weapons were pretty cool too.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”