Movie recommendation - Page 39

Movie recommendation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

TheMightyOne

Re: Movie recommendation

Post by TheMightyOne »

gajop wrote:pro tip: don't bother with prometheus, the acting is shallow, plot is weak, and the last 20 minutes feel like they've been added just to make it last 2hs, it just doesn't come close to any alien/predator/avp movie so far
I don't care how bad it is. Its an alien prequel from ridley scott. I HAVE TO SEE IT!
smoth

Post by smoth »

It is hard to make a movie for a series that was very new, and something audiences have never seen the likes of. The old aliens movies look great because they were VERY different from what we had seen before. Now this is all old hat. I am still interested in Prometheus but everyone expecting it to be an experience like they had watching the first ALIENS is foolish IMO.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Not true. I've watched the 1979 Alien movie yesterday for the first time, even though I've watched every other alien, predator and avp movie there is.
Sure, CG wasn't as great, although the UI made more sense (you want your classic labeled controls instead of pressing weird, unlabeled egg-shaped buttons). However, the plot and acting was better, felt like it had some slight amount of sense and the characters were more lovable - I've cared more about the cat in Alien than for any of the Prometheus crew.

PS: Since I didn't watch the Alien movie until after Prometheus, the first time I realized that this had anything to do with the Alien franchise was in the last 5 seconds of the movie. It's really not much of a prequel. But hey, we went and watched the 2D version, maybe we were missing the dimension with plot.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

TheMightyOne wrote:
gajop wrote:pro tip: don't bother with prometheus, the acting is shallow, plot is weak, and the last 20 minutes feel like they've been added just to make it last 2hs, it just doesn't come close to any alien/predator/avp movie so far
I don't care how bad it is. Its an alien prequel from ridley scott. I HAVE TO SEE IT!
Wait what? OMG thats good reason to watch it D:
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Iron Sky was a bit dragging but I rather enjoyed it.
dizekat

Post by dizekat »

'the battleship' is hilariously retarded (most of it terribly sucks though). Watching it now, reminds of spring, where you'd have, i dunno, scouts opening fire at krogoth that was set to return fire.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

most likely has been said already somewhen in the past:
Brazil
it is some mixture between 1984 and the live of brian (monty python).
on the surface, it seems ot be a not-so-serious version of 1984, but it is basically about a man and his fail live, heavily influenced by his relationship to a crippled (in any way except the physical one) mother.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/
it appears more serious then whatever else i have seen so far, related to monthy python.
while the live of brian was about religion, this is about psychology/psychosis.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

hoijui wrote:most likely has been said already somewhen in the past:
Brazil
it is some mixture between 1984 and the live of brian (monty python).
on the surface, it seems ot be a not-so-serious version of 1984, but it is basically about a man and his fail live, heavily influenced by his relationship to a crippled (in any way except the physical one) mother.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/
it appears more serious then whatever else i have seen so far, related to monthy python.
Terry Gilliam is one of the co-founders of Monty Python and yes "Brazil" is great.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

"the hunter" with willem defoe is great, watched it last night with my girl. was from the same producer as "animal kingdom" from last year which was also very good. movie is about him travelling to tasmania to kill the last tiger and having to deal with various obstacles. it's not "raid redemption" good, but certainly well worth the time.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

I tried The Raid: Redemption few days ago, and I agree it was very watchable.

By the way, the BBC series "Sherlock" Season 1 (3 episodes) is simply amazing. Season 2 is also good, but pale in comparison with Season 1. Sherlock is goddamn fast (in every way), so get the subs unless your english is perfect.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

zerver wrote:I tried The Raid: Redemption few days ago, and I agree it was very watchable.

By the way, the BBC series "Sherlock" Season 1 (3 episodes) is simply amazing. Season 2 is also good, but pale in comparison with Season 1. Sherlock is goddamn fast (in every way), so get the subs unless your english is perfect.
I second the Sherlock recommendation, I enjoyed that series much more than I did the Robert Downley Junior version (not to say i disliked that).

Let me steer you away from a movie though: even if it has 80% on rottentomatoes, dont watch Haywire. Bad, bad movie.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

But Gina Carano?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Das Bruce wrote:But Gina Carano?
That is one of the primary reasons.
I actually had to stop the movie halfway and look it up because something was just wrong about her, her lines sounded like they where voiced by Siri. Turns out she isn't an actress, she is some kind of fighting lady.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

MMA picked her to be a kind of role model/spokes person for a while because she didn't look like she actually did MMA.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i think she's gorgeous but a shit actor; also was crap at MMA, so wrestling is where she belongs

honestly as someone who watches a lot of fighting the hype behind her was unbelieveable; they tried to lead us to believe she was invincible... she was the strikeforce middleweight womens belt holder and then she got totally smashed and retired by cris cyborg

and of course, about two years later, after most of the female fighters dropped 20 pounds to avoid cyborg in that weight class, she got busted for using horse steroids.

this has been a kaiser factoid
smoth

Post by smoth »

KaiserJ wrote:Image
wtf is with the cornrows?
horse steroids.
I know HOW she got them.... sweet lemonaide
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

hoijui wrote: it appears more serious then whatever else i have seen so far, related to monthy python.
Thanks for the info, as a MP fan I have to check that out.

By the way, Life of Brian is not just about religion: it's just as much about politics. You could even relate it to the current situation in Greece, the country is falling apart but the biggest enemy seems to be the Germans.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Jools wrote:... the current situation in Greece, the country is falling apart but the biggest enemy seems to be the Germans.
you gonna rott in sprign hell for that, TRAITOR! these are no words in the latest dictonary!
and if they were, it would still be of .. at best questionable quality.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

God bless America

mix of Office Life and Fight Club (dunno, impression i had). Anyway, i enjoyed it.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

0o0o i just got that one, haven't watched yet

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”