BLACK MAGICS!

BLACK MAGICS!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

BLACK MAGICS!

Post by SwiftSpear »

http://i.imgur.com/JsBRt.png

It actually let me to "Community Manager" when I answered psuedo honestly. Some sort of evil jerks made this! I'm sure!
Jazcash

Re: BLACK MAGICS!

Post by Jazcash »

Just saw this on Reddit, I'm a Booth Babe.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Consultant... spot on until next month.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I'm apparently a "Creative director." This frustrates me, because I've always thought "Creative Director" is just a clever euphanism for "useless idea guy."
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

Well I'd say it is spot on.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Hey, don't hate. My post left a really easy opening to make that comment, but that doesn't mean you have to do it.

Edit: Snipped pointless slightly mean counter-response.
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

Who said anything about it being directed at you? I was talking about my result. Now that you mention it is true both ways :P .

As long as you admit it....
Panda

Post by Panda »

Lol, it said I was SOL.
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

Same :-) .
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Programmer *rolleyes*

Too bad that none of the languages I know are useful to my biggest hobby (unless you count batch logic and some vb.net).
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Forboding Angel wrote:Programmer *rolleyes*

Too bad that none of the languages I know are useful to my biggest hobby (unless you count batch logic and some vb.net).
I used to be a bit intimidated by it, but after putting a couple under my belt, teaching yourself other languages isn't too horrible. My bread and butter these days is Java, but I've worked with some nasty (from a human readability point of view) languages at this point and survived.
knorke

Post by knorke »

creative director \o/
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Programmer.

Don't feel bad Forb, we can get drunk and code together.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Garbage decision tree
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

'you're shit out of luck'

luckily I dont work in the games industry..
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

That exceptional talent block is out of place. How do you tell exceptional talent from hard working, is there even a worthwhile difference? According to that you need exceptional talent to be a gamer.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Google_Frog wrote:That exceptional talent block is out of place. How do you tell exceptional talent from hard working, is there even a worthwhile difference? According to that you need exceptional talent to be a gamer.
There's no worthwhile difference, aside from hard work tends to be less focused on one specific thing.

People who are "talented" at something just tend to spend a lot of time doing that or similar things. In rare cases there is some genetic predisposition, but that usually is more for the case of physical predispositions.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Yes, hard work can equal talent, at least in this arena. That isn't to say that hard work can equal the potential eloquence that talent can provide.

In other words, I can create a function to do a specific thing. Being less talented but hard working I might achieve my goal in 10 lines, where someone with more talent could do it in 3.

The end result is the same, but the talented individual's solution in this example is more eloquent. That is not to say that talented individuals always do things eloquently (more often than not, the opposite is the case).
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I think the chart is more of a "do you think of yourself as talented" type deal.

Also, it frustrates me and I remember a few topics on the subject turning in to fights... but to me the "talent" that an excellent musician or artist or programmer has is their ability to choose something to focus on and stick to it until they are excellent at it... being good at [something] isn't a talent so much as being the kind of person who has the drive and focus to get EXCELLENT at [something]... incidentally people with "natural talent at [something]" tend to not learn the necessary habits to get EXCELLENT at [something] because it comes too easy to them and they just coast by as being GOOD at [something].
smoth

Post by smoth »

I completely disagree. Hard work = skill. Talent = innate aptitude.

EX:
I am not talented, I am skilled at modeling because I work very hard at it...

I find a lot of people around here claim they are talented, when in reality they think they are but never actually put it to the test. There are people here who think they are skilled because they have over inflated egos but in reality they never put the time in.

Talent can make picking up skills easier.
Skill is effort that makes up for a lack of talent.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”