Streaming music to and amplifier+speakers on an ubuntu box

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I have an ubuntu server always running, and I can connect my amp+speakers to it. I wish to use it as a music player from multiple sources; a desktop (for home cinema) and two laptops (for general mp3 playing). Anyone got any suggestions/experience on doing something like this?
koshi
Lobby Developer

Re: Streaming music to and amplifier+speakers on an ubuntu box

Post by koshi »

Pulseaudio works over net. Wrt music playing I favor running mpd on the server since all my music is there anyway. There are mpd clients you can control playback from for pretty much every device out there
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

You could always remote desktop into your server, and use it to browse to the device you wish to play music/media from.

This is probably a hard way to do it, but something a linux noob like me thought might work. Ubuntu has integrated remote desktop functionality so if your desktop and laptops run ubuntu it all workss out-of-box, otherwise you would need some Remote Desktop Client for those other machines.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

For music playing I highly recommend MPD. There are clients for multiple platforms and it can send output to the amp and http stream simultaneously. It's main feature is basically that you get a playlist that can be managed from multiple devices.

The only thing the MPD clients don't seem to do is allow you to stream or upload local music or other sound output to the server. I think you need PulseAudio or ESD for that. I get around it by using a samba share where clients can dump music files and MPD automatically adds them to its library.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Beherith wrote:for home cinema
A/V-Sync may be a problem... depends on lots of factors like network latency, client/server latency, buffer sizes, sampling rate, one or two conversions, etc... I have had both luck and bad luck in the past, and have tried various network daemons - always found one with which it worked... most of the time... don't give up to quickly... but success is not guaranteed...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”