Questions about Spring. - Page 3

Questions about Spring.

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Google_Frog

Re: Questions about Spring.

Post by Google_Frog »

jK wrote:
Karl wrote:
Google_Frog wrote:Maximum unit count is at 32,000
I thought this is definable by mods/games?
Team MaxUnits != Engine MaxUnits (also GaiaTeam can create upto engine max)
I know.
Severage wrote:As far as units on the map...I would guess at around 100~150 tops?
He did not ask units per team. He asked for total max units on the map.

To satisfy everyone I will give a more complete answer. You can have 32,000 units on the map with at most 10,000/(1 + number of teams) per team. Each player in the game has their own team* and many teams form permanent alliance known as an allyTeam. The remaining units are used by Gaia which is a neutral side can be used for things like use for things like map features or AoE2 sheep.

* I know this is not the whole story but I don't want to go into the distinction between players and teams to answer a simple question!!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Why not start with something small? Like a spring version of bomberman?

You will have success after a few weeks, and learn a lot, after that you move one, to bigger and better things. I myself started with mapping and moddeling, and
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

jK wrote:
FLOZi wrote:5. Spring allows for 32 connected players I think
I thought Auswaschbar upped that to 255 years ago
Quite possibly - I couldn't be bothered to go grepping to find the answer :-)

Severage, #moddev and #lua channels on the lobby are helpful places to get real-time feedback on ideas.

I for one will always keep giving out as much help as I have time to, regardless of how futile it is in 95% of cases.

The community is an interesting one - fractious at the best of times, but ultimately respect is earned by showing you are committed. (There are a few exceptions to this - Respect for quality art and code will soon go out the window if you act like a total dick who thinks he knows everything 8) )

I would suggest that that gun is way over-detailed for any RTS unit, however.

Starting small is always useful.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I'm not certain it's relevant to say the max is 255 team and 32 000 units, because it will most likely gets unplayable long before this point.

Even Spring games with rather simple units and gadgtery put a strain on the computer when reaching 10 players & 500 units. So how well would Spring handle pathfinding ten thousand units, or networking two hundreds computer?
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

zwzsg wrote:I'm not certain it's relevant to say the max is 255 team and 32 000 units, because it will most likely gets unplayable long before this point.

Even Spring games with rather simple units and gadgtery put a strain on the computer when reaching 10 players & 500 units. So how well would Spring handle pathfinding ten thousand units, or networking two hundreds computer?
64 players and more shouldn't be a problem if each has only 1-10 units
smoth

Post by smoth »

FLOZi wrote:Severage, #moddev and #lua channels on the lobby are helpful places to get real-time feedback on ideas.

I for one will always keep giving out as much help as I have time to, regardless of how futile it is in 95% of cases.

The community is an interesting one - fractious at the best of times, but ultimately respect is earned by showing you are committed.

Starting small is always useful.
All of this. The community will be MUCH more helpful as you are doing things. Depending on your timezone and when you are available will have a big factor in whether or not you will be able to reach people. Even still there are a handful of people in the EU/USA timeblocks who are online frequently so you should get help around then.

Work and help will come, expect help before work and the community is reluctant.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

jK wrote:
Severage wrote:I am kind of new to this so...how does one find out the poly count of any model?
Most Spring games have models with 100-1500 polys, but there is no engine limit.
Maybe there is no engine limit, but this gun still looks too detailed to me: At a close-view playing distance, the gun will only be one or two pixels, so texturing all the details on the dial and all is overkill. The engine isn't the only limiting factor, there's also the max texture size old GPU can handle, and more critically, the worktime the modder spends making each unit.

Also, you can't have translucent texture on unit models.*

* Unless you rewrite your own model renderer in Lua or something crazy like that.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

engine player limit is 255 (or 250 or somethign like that), but as muhc as i know, there are other things that limit the num players.
at first, there was soemthign in the lobby protocol/lobby server which limited it to 1, and i reembmer there is still soemthign that limits to 32... maybe that is lobby clients, cause more makes no sense for pretty much any spring game.
Severage

Post by Severage »

That gun was made in Hexagon 2.5; I have recently downloaded the (trial) to 3DSMax. I'm trying out different modeling systems.

I found where it tells you how many polys are in an element in 3DS Max. Couldn't find them in Hexagon. I guess I can try to export that gun as a .obj and figure out how many polys are in it in 3DS Max.
At a close-view playing distance, the gun will only be one or two pixels, so texturing all the details on the dial and all is overkill.
It is a bit over-detailed...but besides the dial, what would you suggest to remove from it?
Work and help will come, expect help before work and the community is reluctant.
I'm sure I can understand that. My brother (Not the programmer) does that to me all the time. He's like "Hey I've got this great idea!"; two days later he doesn't remember we were doing anything. ._.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

post the gun- the obj file
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Since you're at the beginning stages I highly recommend you get to know blender. http://www.blender.org
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Since we're all advertising our favorite modeling programs...

Wings for life!!
Severage

Post by Severage »

:lol:

I'm going to wait until this trial expires to try something else...I don't want to feel obligated to try out multiple ones at the same time. It'd get really confusing. But I will try those eventually, thanks for the recommendations~

I also was going to get Blender anyway just because it supports the .s3o extension.

@Picasso:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtp0jtazaaudk0k
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I commonly see games with 1000 units and they are playable. So maybe that is a more useful answer.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

CarRepairer wrote:Since you're at the beginning stages I highly recommend you get to know blender. http://www.blender.org
SanadaUjiosan wrote:Since we're all advertising our favorite modeling programs...
Wings for life!!
Yo, yo, what up dawg.
We Blender folk be so cash, we gots our own tattoo jounce. Blendin 4 Lyfe, yo!
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Yo, man.. im a butcher, and thats my bonesaw.. its the best bonesaw ever made, just tellin you, cause there are other folks in town tellin you- no, yellin at you, that there are better tools to cut bones... but this is it. Need some muscles.. also though. And some skill. And if you dont find it, a wood saw will do fine, as long as you got a idea were you headin.

But definatly is the best saw in town.

Toolwars.. they are this tarded.
smoth

Post by smoth »

MidKnight wrote:We Blender folk be so cash, we gots our own tattoo jounce. Blendin 4 Lyfe, yo!

I have not seen you produce anything for some time.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

SanadaUjiosan wrote:Since we're all advertising our favorite modeling programs...

Wings for life!!
yo dawg watch out that ya app's dont grow out wings else ya lose a life essential tool yo...Watch out that it doesnt grow too much! yo
smoth

Post by smoth »

I have used blender, wings and max.. it isn't that hard to move between them.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

smoth wrote:I have used blender, wings and max.. it isn't that hard to move between them.
I've been trying to teach myself Max, it's not directly horizontal to blender by a long shot. I can't really figure out how to manage object hierarchies which were pretty easy in blender. That being said, I feel like Max is generally easier for basic modeling, as you have to learn fewer hotkeys outright.

Return to “General Discussion”