Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Often when a con or a comm is doing something and is given the stop command it will move away to a position nearby. I find this incredibly annoying as it costs time.

What causes this behaviour? Can it, please, be removed?
Jazcash

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by Jazcash »

I agree. There's lots of weird movement issues like this where units don't do what they should do or they do what they shouldn't do.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Since this is an engine issue, please formulate a bug report on mantis.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Beherith wrote:Since this is an engine issue, please formulate a bug report on mantis.
Could elaborate on why it is an engine issue? That would make reporting easier I guess. Also, do you need to log in for mantis? If so, maybe someone with an account can do that?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Its an engine issue because as far as I know, BA doesn't issue any extra commands after a stop is given. Please register a free account on mantis ("report a bug" in top menu) an describe the exact nature of the bug and how to reproduce it. Thanks!
smoth

Post by smoth »

Units have a brake RATE. so they have to decelerate when they stop. This is probably what causes the sliding you are seeing.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

smoth wrote:Units have a brake RATE. so they have to decelerate when they stop. This is probably what causes the sliding you are seeing.
No, they mean the times when you can actually see the move order the engine issues after a move destination is reached or stop order given.
Which is not your usual move order though, since they stop halfway to the destination usually.
It can also happen after assisting a building, while the unit was previously stationary it now takes a step back - so not about braking.

I can't give example replay from this machine, but it usually happens when the engine considers the unit to be too near a building and forces the unit to step away. Most obvious way to replicate is to give a move-order to inside of a lab.

Similar thing used to happen when units clumped too close to each other too, but not with current pathing, they'll just clump and stack inside each other now.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

I 100% agree that the automatic unit repelling of labs is very annoying. But I know it was introduced for a reason and the question is how it is best improved.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

zerver wrote:I 100% agree that the automatic unit repelling of labs is very annoying. But I know it was introduced for a reason and the question is how it is best improved.
I'm not sure if you are talking about the same thing. Johannes described it better than me.
Johannes wrote:
No, they mean the times when you can actually see the move order the engine issues after a move destination is reached or stop order given.
Which is not your usual move order though, since they stop halfway to the destination usually.
It can also happen after assisting a building, while the unit was previously stationary it now takes a step back - so not about braking.

I can't give example replay from this machine, but it usually happens when the engine considers the unit to be too near a building and forces the unit to step away.
It is not the bumping that is also seen in other situations. The unit will most of the time be in a location it can normally be. I included a short replay showing the command a few times.
Attachments
20120421_085506_Comet Catcher Redux_88.sdf
(24.86 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
smoth

Post by smoth »

cool, post the replay on a mantis report!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Thanks klap!
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Sooo. On Mantis it says it is solved in 88.0.1 git but i can't see what actually changed. Can someone with more knowledge explain what will be different exactly in a new release?
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

klapmongool wrote:Sooo. On Mantis it says it is solved in 88.0.1 git but i can't see what actually changed. Can someone with more knowledge explain what will be different exactly in a new release?
88.0.1+git stands for current development version, not a new release.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”