BAR repo moving + content license

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

The BAR art content is now under CC BY NC ND 3.0 license. Please ask me if you wish to use any content in the mod.

Also, I'm moving the project off googlecode as they only allow CC BY SA licenses for content. Stay tuned for more 8)
Senna

Re: BAR repo moving + content license

Post by Senna »

Whats with the gadgets, widgets, cegs, weapons, explosions, features etc.., Then they all should be made from scratch too
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Is it NC in particular Google dislike? (Like the Randists over at Debian)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Senna wrote:Whats with the gadgets, widgets, cegs, weapons, explosions, features etc.., Then they all should be made from scratch too
content is stuff like art, sounds, unit defs etc.. no lua. Lua is code.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

This could get interesting. I would like to see stuff like robot/chicken defence and tech annihilation be able to use the new models. Would you allow such a thing?
smoth

Post by smoth »

The chicken models are not assets of BAR, they were created for chickens.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Flozi: I think its the ND part.

Senna: Code retains its license.

Clarified the first post to indicate only art content being under the new CC BY NC ND license.

Robot defense ( in a limited fashion, with only remade models) and chicken defense will be put into BAR for ease of use to newbies, if their respective creators/licenses allow it.

The reason for the license change is that I do not wish to have the BAR assets picked apart before it gets a released. The licensing will most likely change to a less restrictive one when we get the release out.
Senna

Post by Senna »

Beherith wrote:Flozi: I think its the ND part.

Senna: Code retains its license.

Clarified the first post to indicate only art content being under the new CC BY NC ND license.

Robot defense ( in a limited fashion, with only remade models) and chicken defense will be put into BAR for ease of use to newbies, if their respective creators/licenses allow it.

The reason for the license change is that I do not wish to have the BAR assets picked apart before it gets a released. The licensing will most likely change to a less restrictive one when we get the release out.
ah sure then its fine, but i dont think also someone would use them before it released yet

I thought this all was after till now and after released yet, also robot def will not include them before BAR its released too
Petah

Post by Petah »

Correct me if Im wrong, but because they used to be licensed under "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License" anything you have done to the date you changed the license is still usable under the original license.

Also has Mr. Bob and Pyra given you copyright, in order to have the rights to change the license in the first place?

And aside from that, I have made a website similar to modinfo which has a 3D model viewer that uses the max/3ds/obj files to display the units. So are you still going to release those model formats?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

If you ever want to get into a repo, you can't have NC because repos are all technically "commercial" even if they don't make money off the repo itself since they may be tangentially related to moneymaking enterprises.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Beherith wrote: The reason for the license change is that I do not wish to have the BAR assets picked apart before it gets a released. The licensing will most likely change to a less restrictive one when we get the release out.
Ok, cool.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pxtl wrote:If you ever want to get into a repo, you can't have NC because repos are all technically "commercial" even if they don't make money off the repo itself since they may be tangentially related to moneymaking enterprises.
untrue.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Repo as in Debian/ubuntu? Then yes, you're not getting into debian proper with either NC or ND since that's deemed unfree by the DFSG afaik. Likely the same with red hat/fedora. There's however non-free,partner and whatnot repos allowing exceptions.
smoth

Post by smoth »

isn't Debian ridiculous about how goofy it takes the interpretation of the GPL?
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Seriously, what is goofy about that? How could they include software that permits commercial use? Maybe I do misinterpret that but I consider that to be very reasonable.
smoth

Post by smoth »

you misunderstood what I was asking about.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

very_bad_soldier wrote:Seriously, what is goofy about that? How could they include software that permits commercial use? Maybe I do misinterpret that but I consider that to be very reasonable.
Debian specifically DO require included software to be commercially available.
Petah

Post by Petah »

So looking through the repo, I couldn't see the model source files. So are you not going to release those?
Petah

Post by Petah »

Oh, and also....

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”