Old meat

Old meat

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
XTA Developer

Old meat

Post by Jools »

Is it dangerous to use vacuum packed minced meat that is one day past the expiration date?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Old meat

Post by zwzsg »

Try it! For science!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

1. Use your nose and eyes: If it smells bad, or looks funny, chuck it.
2. Cook it well: nothing really harmful will survive a proper cooking (just dont eat it anything less than well done)
3. If it tastes bad, chuck it or pour more hot sauce on it.
4. If it was stored in a fridge, then 1 day past will still be fine.

Edit: oh just noticed its minced meat. Ive eaten that a week past due date. Good burgers!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yeah, it smells okay. I will report back. And it was stored in fridge, which means it has been about 20 to 30 degrees warmer than outside :)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Another comunity member lost to bad health advice. Remember the guy we made blind with that advice on self destilled booze?
Panda

Post by Panda »

I think that if it is a different color from when you bought it, you shouldn't eat it.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

On the contrary, if it has some white or green outer side.. cut that away and call yourself gourmet..
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

This weekend I saw a investigative journalism show. It said that in my country a person throws away an average of 44 kilos of food a year. This totals to 4 billion Euros.

Most food gets thrown away because companies don't want to be responsible for it, even though the majority of proceed food can be kept for years. Printing expiration dates relieves companies of responsibility and instils irrational fear in the consumer.

I endorse education on sterilising food with heat. You can even use fire! :-)

(I'm am also curious what this thing is that could make you sick and can also live in a vacuum. :-) )
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Actually anaerobic bacteria are known to produce toxins, like tetanus.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

PicassoCT wrote:Another comunity member lost to bad health advice. Remember the guy we made blind with that advice on self destilled booze?
:lol: :mrgreen:
Panda

Post by Panda »

PicassoCT wrote:On the contrary, if it has some white or green outer side.. cut that away and call yourself gourmet..
:lol:
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

vacuum packet meat does not mean plastic with vacuum inside.
there is at least meat, and very likely also bacteria, and also quite likely there is still a tiny bit of air somewhere, and ... other stuff.
as much as i know, the most effective way of conserving food is canning (heat up to kill bacteria and enclose in a way no new bacteria can get in). vacuum packing is only the second part of canning, so its for fresh stuff, and therefore way less effective. cooling or freezing slows down (or brings to a halt) bio chemical processes, which includes eveyrthing that bacteria do (including cell divission). pissing on it keeps away your naturally close concurence. and then there is also chemical stuff, which i would not recommend.
-> try to get fresh or canned stuff, and only get as much uncanned (=fresh) stuff as you can eat soon, or else you might just piss on it.

also good if you want to prevent food from being throuwn away, is containering (not sure if that is the correct english word though).
Pako

Post by Pako »

I think there is also nuclear vacuum pacced food which has been radiated or killed with strong UV-light. It is as good or actually better than canned.

Salt and vinegar and other natural stuffs are the best because they keep many heatlhy bacteria alive and killing all bigger bacteria which shits these nervo-toxins.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Jools
Last visited: Mon Mar 12, 2012
uh oh. :shock:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

It's worth noting that if you eat bad meat, a lot of times it will just give you uncontrollable diarrhea for a day or so but you'll live.

Occasionally you'll get food poisoning.

When in doubt, cook the living shit out of it. The bad stuff can't survive the temperatures.
Petah

Post by Petah »

I love how you post this on a game forum!
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

good point pako, abotu salt an vinagre and other natural stuff :-)
true.. is better then canned even.

about nucular.. i did not know they do nucular and vacuum together, but i know that lots of (most?) spices get radiated, if they are not "naturaly protected" already, like salt.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Jools was a free spirit, but with one weekness. he couldnt resist the sins of the outdated flesh. We have come together today, to say farewell to a friend, and there they bring the biohazard coffin.
Lets hope that in his afterlife, he at last doesent have to enjoy unproperly cooked meat.

Ash to ash, dust to dust. Ramen.

;)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

in my experience, with enough chilli power you can eat anything
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Humans used to eat very old and past meat in our history. It has gone out of style recently, and should definitely be avoided with most poultry, but for red meats and fishes it's remarkably safe, albeit somewhat unpleasant.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”