Dear Esther

Dear Esther

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Dear Esther

Post by PicassoCT »

Seriously, go and see for yourself. Its hard to describe in words.

Or at least watch the lets play..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTv5bGqM ... =1&list=SL

Thats what im talking about.. drama, engagment, and he is using nothing, making atmo out of beauty, words and..
Panda

Re: Dear Esther

Post by Panda »

Looks awesome. 8)
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I think I'd rather watch a movie.
dimm

Post by dimm »

So do watch the "movie"lp. Haunting and beautiful. Cthulu is at the end.
lolzorex

Post by lolzorex »

Tried it last night...Played for 40 minutes...Nothing but boring narration and supposed scenery...
I like how out of the few keys used in the game there is a shortcut key for screenshots..
Like, Its so beautiful you'd obviously want to take screenshots...
Does anyone mind spoiling it for me and tell me what happens in the end and whats going on in the game?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

You jump off the lighthouse and become a bird. Sad but true.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Just watch the lp. Really why bother playing the game.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

because it got what al the spring-games dont got .. drama.. it gets the player involved, not using the players powers once..

This is what we need.. drama.. in multiplayer games.. small sidequests.. save the wounded before the frontline.. protect that convoy going along the frontline.. rescue a downed airplane pilot before the enemmy does that.. events that make the player feel unique and outstanding.. not just the administrator of some anonymous warmaschine.

All the Gifs and Movies every made show mostly Com? I wonder why this is? Surely not because of the drama involved, with the com taking huge chunks of base with it?
smoth

Post by smoth »

desaturated to hell and back. Will not play.
dimm

Post by dimm »

PicassoCT wrote: This is what we need.. drama.. in multiplayer games.
Yes!
scifi

Post by scifi »

and i thought we had enough drama already :mrgreen:

well ive watched it, i found it interesting, but not something you would enjoy that much.

That game, if we can call it a game, was like a book being told in front of your eyes. You would move around this world/book and you get involved in its background.

In fact id aproach this , as a way in the future to tell story's or history's to people, like imagine a virtual reality setup, where you'd explore a world like the one represented in there, and facts and details are told to you.

Like moving in a WWII front-line watching people getting killed, and story's about your fallen brothers being told in a chat like manner like in this game.
smoth

Post by smoth »

so like playing final fantasy right? *dodges tomatoes*
scifi

Post by scifi »

smoth wrote:so like playing final fantasy right? *dodges tomatoes*
well yes, but this doesn't have any sort of interactivity rather than a flasligth and what you see on screen, and in the end you get to see a shadowy figure.

So you dont figth or pick anything just walk around.
smoth

Post by smoth »

oh, I had this pegged for a very pretty myst type game.
dimm

Post by dimm »

The latest myst is an mmo.
smoth

Post by smoth »

ew
Degenerated5

Post by Degenerated5 »

THOU SHALT ONLY EXPRESS NEGATIVE OPINIONS OF WHAT SMOTH DOES NOT LIKE ELSE THOU POST SHALT GET DELETED

~POWER WHORE

user was warned for this post
lolzorex

Post by lolzorex »

F*ck in sky?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I like the art of the game, and I would like to see this game do well, as I think there's some talented developers behind it, but I really don't think this is a "genre" I'd like to see much, if any, more of.

My problem comes down to interactivity. You can strip that down to a very small level and still have very effective games. This game had a more abstract control scheme than angry birds, qwop, whatever, but in Dear Esther the interactivity felt more like an unwanted issue they couldn't get rid of than something well used and effective.

There's a lot of people saying things like "it's not a game" and "we have film already, why do we need this?" I don't really agree with that. I played an indie game not long ago that was similar in that you just wandered around, but you were running from something... in the game it was just a light source, but it gave you urgency, it gave you a reason to be looking for an escape from the environment, it pushed you into different visual experiences under the realization that you'll lose if you get caught. The problem with Dear Esther isn't that you need to be able to interact with the game more, it's that it feels like the interactivity you do have gets in the way of the story more than it helps it. You'll wander down a long path, realize there was nothing there, and feel like you're dragging yourself painfully to get back to the "flow" of the story. The primary role of your interactivity with the game is to make any semblance of a well paced experience fall totally off.

Dear Esther doesn't suffer from "not being a game" or "needing more interactivity" it suffers from fundamentally bad design. It's up to you whether the interesting but mediocre story and the AMAZING art offsets that design flaw enough for you to enjoy playing it.
dimm

Post by dimm »

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”