Mood is a thing for - Page 3

Mood is a thing for

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

knorke

Re: Mood is a thing for

Post by knorke »

the pathcosts will be calculated before LuaRules takes effect.
It is only 25%, not that much. I think with this map layout there will not be many situations where units take a shorter path that actually takes longer or something like that.

Do the lines from the notice thing always point to rock/sand if you move camera?
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Couldnt resist to SSMFize your map.

Unzip the files to .../maps/

And thats it. SSMFed!
Attachments
ssmflove.7z
(5.5 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
screen00183.jpg
(169.45 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

Aw, thanks for the SSMFLove! Will be included in the next version.
Do the lines from the notice thing always point to rock/sand if you move camera?
They do, unless none is found within the right half of the screen view area, in which case no line is drawn. Hm, I think I'll extend that to include the screen area above the text too.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

CLAPS LOCK _ DISREGARD MY POSTS IN OTHER THREAD... WEEEHHEEE :D

SAND IN MY SHOES..
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

Picasso, regarding your post in the other thread (wait, I wasn't supposed to do that): that is the craziest land-submarine/crabwalker/hovercraft/warp-pagoda/snowplow I have ever seen. I've seen several, obvs.
smoth

Post by smoth »

picasso overstates the complexity of splat maps.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

yeah, thats why they are so rare. And why the occurence of all those nice map renderers + splat suddenly silenced so many mappers, who before could get away as good looking with handpainted jpegs :P

Smoth, you are not the standard. You might see many tasks as easy that provide quite a challenge for absolut beginners. I know, you will praise the expert and how much more they get done and want to send the newbs down the plank.. but i want both here. And sentences like "GUI_Chili scripting is soo easy" is actually discouraging, if you runt into the learning cliff there.

Also, before the Ring of Fire engulfs it all again.. thanks and kudos to Sir Atturi. I basically only modfied his work, adding the awesome sanddune texture behe used in tabulav4

http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... y-modified
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:yeah, thats why they are so rare. And why the occurence of all those nice map renderers + splat suddenly silenced so many mappers, who before could get away as good looking with handpainted jpegs :P
And? professionals use tools to generate the artwork. Hand painted is not possible if you want to compete with advanced tool chains. but lets assume you are not generating the texture map in a professional tool chain.

WM2 free can generate the splat maps. AND I gave out my source files showing HOW TO DO IT.

You cannot EVER EVER expect amateurs using shit like gimp to feel in anyway comparable to to someone using a professional tool and years of experience. Don't give me that shit about above the norm. It took me YEARS to develop the macros for WM2. I gave them AWAY. So I did the real work for them! The rest is just learning how to use a tool. If they cannot do that, I am sorry but no.
smoth

Post by smoth »

seriously picasso, you cannot expect someone to in any way compete with some of the stuff I do without a LOT of effort.

if the playing field was leveled, lets say I shat out a tool that could allow people to produce what I do. I would then take that and do stuff even crazier than what I have been doing. I am not being egotistical like I am some great artist or some stuff, I am just prone to continuing to push the limit. If I was SO hard to be like, how do you explain: KAISER, BEHE, ARTURRI, HUNTER, FORB, ICEQUICK, runecrafter(my god this dude raised the bar).

The reason my maps are so nice is that I PERSONALLY see someone making a better map than mine(visually). I feel this odd compulsion to meet or beat that. Such a drive is why an entry level guy will ALWAYS be bested by me. But that isn't bad, trailblazers are needed. I follow the trails other mappers make and others can do the same as I am. If someone is going to see my map and not say, "HEY, I can do better than that guy!" they will never actually be good.

The 4 of us you keep talking about are good because we have worked HARD for years to have the skills and knoweldge we have. We work together and share knowledge. Want in? start working with us, start asking questions and keep working on your maps. While abstract your maps were amazing but you stopped when you could have passed us up. I remember BEGGING you to start taking models out of max and placing them on your levels. You of ALL people have THE MOST potential to make MINDblowing levels but stopped very short.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Sorry might have been envy talking.. and no, i dont want in. not anymore. I tried to get halowarz up to splat, it was a shit workload for a map not working. So yeah, when it comes to mapping i quit, but i still will throw my hat in the ring if somebody does a awesome thing, and it doesent get the god-nod, just because he didnt have the luck to be a early joiner, using years of his live to get were he wants to be, when the timewindow was still open and even mspaint mappers were encouraged.

I dont want to hold you back, for heavens sake, i wouldnt be learning opengl all day, coding the night away otherwise. But still, were the playingfield is leveled, and only talent and effort make up for the final look, there is a crowd. And not only eight people, (lets calc optimistic, 3000maps/5 maps per mapper) of 600 left in the race.

Im saying, that there is a difference between - download mapconverter and feed it files - and the linklabyrinth (go here, go there search everywhere + tutorial) to get across. If it werent that way, your namelist would be longer.

If you still think im wrong, well, your free to have your opion, i will stay with mine. Anything else goes to pm. Sorry for derailing.

Were the hell is that Sandwurm Gif. We have two thumbers by now. Big Z should be itching in every finger. Now, that would be a appropriate theme for a rant- were is that worm. Melange or Mood.. that worm gets in... or ill have to do one myself in Zs name.
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

I couldn't resist meddling with things I can't see... Artturi, your splat distribution map looked a bit off to me, so I made another one, based on the l3dt attribute map (which has been by far the biggest pain in the ass on this map, because the sand/rock border can't be defined by slope tolerance, height, or anything else normal).

Picasso: putting sand ripples in the splat mapping = awesome idea. Putting them as the detail texture = bad idea. Then those of us without fancy video cards would have rocks that look like sand up close. The detail texture I stole from smoth's Desert Valley (thank you) has the advantage of not looking out of place on rock or sand.

Anyway, v4 will happen when I add a wreck-sinking option, and calculate a single isNotValid table and send it to the widget.
Attachments
splatdist4.7z
(156.73 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
CaL-v3-attributes-new.png
from whence the texture came
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Your map it is.

But if I were you, I would diffuse some red to blue channel. In other words, but some cliffside detailtexture on the cliff plateaus. Otherwise it will look repetative and thus bad. Some variety makes it more interesting and natural.

L3dt attribute map is great for making splat distribution.

I had only photoshop and texture of your map :)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Yeah, l3dt attribute map is boss for ssmf
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

zwzsg wrote:
Pxtl wrote:Right now zwszg is currently rummaging through his old files to find that one gif.
Do I really have to? It's seven years old!
You know.. if you still had it.. i could make a texture for it..
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

Good suggestions, Artturi. :-) The splatdist soon to be packaged with the map won't have such solid blocks of unvaried color.
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

version 4 is up (to be down)
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

PicassoCT wrote:You know.. if you still had it.. i could make a texture for it..
And I have feeling I'm going to vomit up some spawn/move/eat logic in Lua. :-P
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Okay, fuck this,.. ill do it myself, but i wont do the coding, the animations. You only get a sandworm. Okay with this? But i need pictures..
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

Sweeeeet. Even if I just got a sandworm head a la http://www.denofgeek.com/misc/177979/to ... _dune.html I'd be set.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I know, i did reuse a texture, which is a big nono-- well you have a go young padawan, and if it turns out to work well, i might spend some 3hours painting a new, better version

Attachments
gepriesenseiderbringerundseinwasser.JPG
(204.46 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
sworm.7z
(90.94 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Return to “Map Creation”