Best Metal Texture Tutorials? - Page 2

Best Metal Texture Tutorials?

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Best Metal Texture Tutorials?

Post by KaiserJ »

looks very good man

i had one of those tablets before but ended up returning it... not enough desk space :(

you could always do something like : open the pattern as a seperate document, rescale it, and then save/reload it in your main document
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

ShineSmith wrote: I found making the "grip" pattern really difficult and slow going. Make a pattern, test it, adjust size/shape, test again and repeat...

Is there a better way to make patterns in photoshop ? As in, something with scailability and distance from pattern tiles? It really pissed me off lol.
Layer options: pattern overlay has much better controls than regular pattern fill.

How did you do those rust effects on photoshop btw?
ShineSmith

Post by ShineSmith »

PicassoCT
surfacescratches.. show even on the grate holes.
aw bollocks!
you can grab one out of my mod and shove the very same mistake right under my nose.
glad im not the only one making silly mistakes haha

KaiserJ
looks very good man
Thanks dude :-)
i had one of those tablets before but ended up returning it... not enough desk space :(
That f***ing sucks! soz about that :(
you could always do something like : open the pattern as a seperate document, rescale it, and then save/reload it in your main document
Thats exactly what i did, and redone a few times untill i got it right.

SirArtturi
Layer options: pattern overlay has much better controls than regular pattern fill.
Havent tried that before, ill look into it, thanks!
How did you do those rust effects on photoshop btw?
Slapped on top a previously made rusty texture with overlay and pin light blending modes. Heres the file DL link for everyones scrutiny.

[FAIL: media fire hates at the moment. BOOO! will upload shortly, when its behaving itself]

My layer names and folders are not exactly professional, but it works for me so far lol. Dirt chunk 1 & 2 are just copied bits of the texture with that dirty detail that showed well with the layer options. WISH i still had that brush set!! May end up making my own scratch brush set now i got a tablet for it.

Tips on layer structure or other techniques very welcome :-)

@KaiserJ
I tried the specular map & cavity map (bump map?) bits of your tutorial, but didnt work out to well in 3dmax. But im s**t at max, and will give it another try soon.
ShineSmith

Post by ShineSmith »

http://www.mediafire.com/?sdbwv8r2748r2wd
11.07 MB

Ok, hope that works!
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

ShineSmith wrote:
Thats exactly what i did, and redone a few times untill i got it right.
Lulz, with pattern overlay on layer blending options you can do the scaling very easily... ;)

Return to “Art & Modelling”