Stanford online courses

Stanford online courses

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Wisse

Stanford online courses

Post by Wisse »

I've used forum search to see if anyone brought this up, but I couldn't find any relevant topics. This community seems like one of the best target groups for Stanford's project.

This fall Stanford University started with three free online courses: Introduction to AI, Machine learning and Introduction to Databases.
They're now expanding the list of courses to several more, possibly including current ones as well (ML is confirmed already).
Next wave starts in winter - some in January some in February. Courses last for two full months.

Current courses available for sign up (note: they keep adding more!):
-Entrepreneurship
The Lean Launchpad
Technology Entrepreneurship
-Computer Science
Computer Science 101
Machine Learning
Software Engineering for Software as a Service
Human-Computer Interaction
Natural Language Processing
Game Theory
Probabilistic Graphical Models
Cryptography
Design and Analysis of Algorithms I

You can see the other courses by scrolling to the bottom on any of those Sign Up pages.

I'm currently taking AI, ML and DB class and I must say that I'm hooked!
Even more so because I'm a Mechanical engineer from University that doesn't value practical applications as much as pure theory. Those courses might not mean as much to CS students, especially from USA, because I figured that they already took similar ones.

AI class can be frustrating from time to time, because lecturers took rather low tech approach to teaching (filming their handwritten notes) and they often pose ambiguous questions. Material itself is awesome and gives good overview of the field.

ML class is pure awesomeness. It's the perfect mix of basic theory and practical exercises. I wouldn't change a single thing about it!

DB class is also extremely well done. It has some challenging exercises and it covers all sorts of stuff regarding databases.

I highly recommend signing up to courses that might interest you. I for one am wishing for more time, so I can take several more in next wave!

Have fun!

p.s. Can anyone tell me how many courses does Stanford student take per quarter and how are they allowed to tailor their choice of courses. Thanks.
Prominence

Re: Stanford online courses

Post by Prominence »

:o nice. So, are these audit courses or video lectures like in youtube?
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

All three current courses are structured as a set of video lectures with additional in-video quizzes.

AI uses embedded youtube videos, that often end with a question, which you have to answer by inputting some numbers, checking check boxes or radio boxes . Each week they give you set of review questions in similar form. Those count towards final sore. There was midterm exam just now and there will be final exam at the end. Each of those quizzes has deadline according to it's related material and when it was introduced.
Don't get turned down by low tech videos.

ML and DB don't use youtube (but Amazon) for their videos, so I can't post an example (you need to be logged in). They use Power point presentations, which they fill in by hand (via tablet), while explaining. They actually implemented quizzes into videos, which pause and give you text, radio or check boxes to fill in. They also offer quizzes with deadlines that count toward final score.

DB had midterm exam and there will be final exam also. Exercises ask you to write database queries which get quite challenging! There were many query languages so far, like Relational algebra, SQL and XML. It's all done via web interface.

ML doesn't seem to have midterm or final exams. They expanded their course with Matlab/Octave programming exercises, which give you some feel for the theory in practice. So far we've done linear and logistic regression, neural networks...

Sadly you have to enroll (sign up) to get full access, so you can't jump in on running courses. You'll ofcourse have a chance to do so in next wave, which is just wonderful :)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I've signed up, has nobody on the course duplicated it for those who want to watch the videos in order?
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

I suppose you're referring to AI?
Official course web page handles those videos for you with dedicated interface. That's where you get to answer quizzes also.

Videos are sorted into units. Some videos lead to question at the end (as seen on screenshot) and after answering you also get to see explanation video.
Using their channel on youtube is a pain. Just wait for course to restart.

ML and DB do even better in course handling if you ask me.

Here are URLs of current courses:
Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
Machine Learning
Introduction to Databases
You can actually watch videos without signing up! - Check front page of each class.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Nice!

I have been watching similar videos from youtube, but nothing with quizzes and such. Signed up to four courses, this might get interesting when they start next year.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

One, oh, who am i kidding - the best of our class is enrolled in some of those courses, well, i watched some youtube lectures before, mostly offtopic or those internal "math-battles- who has the most awesome and pure Proof" ..
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Reminder bump.

More classes from Sebastian Thrun: Udacity
Interesting read about Thrun and his newly acquired teaching experiences: Robotic Mastermind
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I shall look into it. Problem is my time is suddenly limited. My todolist is filled, and the internet has this strange ability to distract me. Today read a paper from 2004 on javas floatinpointphailures. Maybee we should make a currently reading thread, like the currently watching or listening-threads.
dimm

Post by dimm »

There are a lot of free online courses. How do i know this is the best one? Better yet where is there a list of such courses?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

If they demand to much from you, you will feel and know.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”