Spring RTS + RenPy (storytelling engine) = better singleplay - Page 2

Spring RTS + RenPy (storytelling engine) = better singleplay

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

knorke

Re: Spring RTS + RenPy (storytelling engine) = better singleplay

Post by knorke »

RenPy is a open source visual novel engine used mostly to create such jap dating stories.
We can use it to create a game story and a clickable game world map. Than wen the story permits, use it lo launch SPRING with a particular mission as a lobby does.
It seems this PenPy think does not allow to start external programs, such as other games.

Go here to learn about game making/scripting for spring:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Lua_Scripting
http://springrts.com/wiki/Game_and_Unit_development
velteyn

Post by velteyn »

Yes, but I think I can force it to do so :-)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

A wild haxxor appears!
That datesim-engine has prepared its anus?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I actually like this idea if you can implement game launching easily. The problem I see is that the ingame part of single player missions will still require work to make, things such as ingame action triggers and so anything beyond skirmish vs ai will be work.

I like the concept of a clickable world map for a campaign, and if the jap date simulator framework can incorporate this easily then cool.
knorke

Post by knorke »

the datesim thing must also be able to get feedback from spring. (reading files maybe)
velteyn

Post by velteyn »

I like the concept of a clickable world map for a campaign, and if the jap date simulator framework can incorporate this easily then cool.
That is tremendously easy ! Download it and try tutorial, than click on user interaction , you'll see a clickable map !!

RenPy is written in python, and python has absolutely no probs in reading files ! It will be also easy to study and to catch the machine flux so to think for something to port in SPRING's c++.
smoth

Post by smoth »

why do you insist on trying to shove this in the engine?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

why not let him try, if it works good, if not.. well at least he touched a weakspot of spring. People would check beck to episodic quality singleplayer content. They always do. Im checking back for episode 3, since years.

VALVE! AND IF YOU WAIT A THOUSAND YEARS... I LL BE THERE. AND IF I HAVE TO SUMMON GABE FROM THE GRAVE MYSELF.
smoth

Post by smoth »

why not be a part of the engine, because it will not be able to work with lua. It will only be able to see spring's already existing stuff not any of the extension code the real projects use. Thus he will have to build out some extra interface etc.

this is why I keep saying these things should be lua'd
JediDoubleJedi

Post by JediDoubleJedi »

Maybe haskell instead of lua? Haskell is new language and very slick!
smoth

Post by smoth »

Lua is used for spring projects to implement high level game functionality in this engine. We have an implementation built into the engine, used for everything economy systems to explosion resource files. By using lua, velteyn will be able to access the engine directly via callins and get information from games to feed into his dialogue.
JediDoubleJedi

Post by JediDoubleJedi »

Haskell is used for many projects to implement high level game functionality in engines! We have an implementation built into the our projects, and it works really well!
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

JediDoubleJedi wrote:Haskell is used for many projects to implement high level game functionality in engines! We have an implementation built into the our projects, and it works really well!
So Haskell is the new programming flavour of the month then? What does Haskell have that Lua doesn't have?

Lua is already implemented for scripting and is used in a few other games too (Supreme Commander used it, Cryengine uses it for scripting etc).

Ultimately, if you want to make an alternative scripting implementation using Haskell, then by all means do it.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Haskell has the option monad.

In the same spirit: why don't we replace Lua with Brainfuck?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Dont bash haskell, its a really pure language. Nothing phpish, something really well thought through language. Many of the languages we hold high here (like Java, Python, even, in some I-messed-up-way-Php) copied from it.
I know there is always a new progpig every ten years to be chased, but haskell is less likely to be that. Only problem is that it has a little outer-space syntax.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Haskell may look great on paper (lazy evaluation, higher compile time correctness from strong typing, etc.), but it's not easy to learn for most programmers with procedural programming knowledge. In analogy with natural languages, for a native english speaker, lua is french, where haskell is japanese.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

You can do almost anything with LUA, so imo someone should code a storytelling API instead.

But there are a couple of things that you probably cannot do at the moment, and one of those would be video cutscenes.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

But there are a couple of things that you probably cannot do at the moment, and one of those would be video cutscenes.
From what i garner, neither can RenPy.

But Spring really should have those. It's pretty much all that holds me back from at least trying to make a hentai/rts.
velteyn

Post by velteyn »

As I said before: I want to catch RenPy infrastructural philosophy (how the story proceeds ? Witch triggers to use ? etc) than try and see if its possible to port it (the philosophy and not the entire engine my dear smoth :-) ) into SPRING's C++/lua ... Could be very time consuming but I'm really curious about the two engines 8) !
smoth

Post by smoth »

Once you have gotten a good understanding of renPy you probably will have little issue setting it up in lua. I am not sure of what your background is but yeah man, for an experienced guy, this'll be childs play.

Return to “Feature Requests”