Random wip 2012+ - Page 3

Random wip 2012+

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Random wip 2012+

Post by PicassoCT »

You should look at the applause and attention good coding gets.

Oh, thats a simple task, you just take reality, theres a good lot around, put it in a flask, append a exe to that and you win any bet.

The good stuff eats your time with spoons.
smoth

Post by smoth »

CaptainBenz wrote:The second attempt to make a proper model for zero-k's catapult, because that 3do thing looks unbearable.

I liked the original that you did but this is fine to.
I would have posted the uv map instead of these simple geometric shapes since I was busy with that for almost a week. Unfortunately, uv maps aren't even half as interesting as the actual models.
Some of us like to see them..
CaptainBenz

Post by CaptainBenz »

PicassoCT wrote:You should look at the applause and attention good coding gets.

Oh, thats a simple task, you just take reality, theres a good lot around, put it in a flask, append a exe to that and you win any bet.

The good stuff eats your time with spoons.
You don't need to tell me about how quality beats quantity, I'm totally aware of that. Its just a pity that the most time consuming part is the least interesting one to show (to most people).
smoth wrote:Some of us like to see them..
Enjoy what will haunt me in my dreams forever.
smoth

Post by smoth »

that is pretty nice but try and give 1-2 pixels between items. Otherwise mip levels will cause bleeding along the edges.
smoth

Post by smoth »

something for the zk people.. an alternative skin for a unit.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Very nice, benz!
smoth

Post by smoth »

benz, since it is only fair..
Model
map
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Very awesome Smoth :-)
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

Dear Lord smoth that Pyro Skin looks awesomely Creepy! Would definintly use it once the option becomes available :)
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

Absolutely awesome pyro Smoth! That is how (all) units should look like! :wink:
Incessant

Post by Incessant »

I'm new here and I know this isn't anywhere near the quality of some of the (ok, the vast majority) of work here, but here's an interceptor concept I'm toying with. I can't texture, so here is about as far as I can get. The in-game unit would be very fast with a powerful battery of rapid-fire AA rocket, though with a shorter range than other missiles (like six unit lengths at most). Any thoughts on the concept or the model? Image
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

for a new guy you are quite good, as it seems. Most of the really news add thousands of polygons, and zoomed in on one particular detail, add a thousand more for the bulletcatdriges of a gattling gun.

So holding your work against there, you get away pretty good. Now add a nice texture (its not that heavy, trust me on that) and your gold.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

yeah incessant that model is fine; you've kept a low poly budget which is tough for beginners. i certainly like the design.

might as well give texturing it a go, no time like the present... and having a low poly model like that means unwrapping shouldn't be too painful
smoth

Post by smoth »

thoughts:
- don't post glamour shots. show us the raw mesh, that is what tells crap model from decent, wireframe is even better. I cannot critique a glamour shot like that. Pretty renders hide ugly geometry.
(trust me, these models are ugly)

- taper the wing edges, square wings don't work so well.
like this, this is what the wireframe for that wing looks like

- the unit concept doesn't matter if it doesn't have a project to live in.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

the others pretty much summed it up. a good model with good design which is important. a lot of people here will tell you to add detail with the texture, and keep the poly count down to what is necessary.

i do, however, feel the nose is a bit too flat and not very aerodynamic. unless of course it is intended for space, then it's fine :-)
Incessant

Post by Incessant »

Simple screenshots of the wip, some issues addressed. I'm still lowering the poly count working from back to front and I need to fix some geometry (some surfaces that should be flat have weird reflections (sharp lines dividing a medium gray from a slightly lighter grey, nothing major, but it shouldn't be happening at all), and obviously, I haven't textured it yet. with those caveats, any help/suggestions/tips?

Oh, and Smoth, I do actually intend to make a mod of sorts at some point, I've got about sixty concept drawings to work with :-) probably just adding or replacing a factions and I doubt that it'll be worth sharing with my coding/texturing abilities being at this point non-existent. Its not set in stone and probably won't happen for some time, if at all. But, I would like to anyway.

Besides, if I was trying to model a light interceptor and it looked like half-track, I'd like someone to call me on that so I could punish my disobeying hands (and fix it).
smoth

Post by smoth »

dunno to me the front looked like an air intake. :) I didn't have an issue with the squarish fuselage. As though it was just an engine with a cockpit on top and wings. So it looked like a great little scout.

Looks good, no need to reduce it's poly count further.

Good luck with the mod, feel free to ask around for help when you get to that stage!

Keep going man!
Incessant

Post by Incessant »

Is anyone willing to help me with texturing (just advice/tuts, not actually doing the textures). I tried with the interceptor and I didn't get very far, I couldn't figure out how to use the uv editor window well, and when I finally thought I might have gotten it, the texture didn't render. Also looking through the spring editors guide or whatever its called, I said something about assigning channels to specific traits

I gave up and spent my efforts on this, a damage-sponging k-bot. I'm sorry there are so many images, but b/c there were multiple objects I couldn't highlight the faces like before, so this was the best I could get to show the geometry.

I think the thigh might need to be thickened up a bit, but I just spent about four hours building it and (abortively) texturing the interceptor, so that will be done later. Any tips?
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Incessant wrote:Oh, and Smoth, I do actually intend to make a mod of sorts at some point, I've got about sixty concept drawings to work with :-) probably just adding or replacing a factions and I doubt that it'll be worth sharing with my coding/texturing abilities being at this point non-existent. Its not set in stone and probably won't happen for some time, if at all. But, I would like to anyway.
CT started with no experience in texturing and coding, and the game is quite playable and although it barely has a following, people do like it. Point is: keep trying, keep learning, if something doesn't work see if there is an easier way or work more on something you know you can do. The moment you stop working is the moment you might not work anymore.

The sponge k-bot looks pretty good, makes me think of a guy in one of those protective suits.

Does it only have that little gun on top? The arm things look cool, I think it'd be awesome if they opened up to reveal missile launchers or something :-) That's what I would do anyways 8)
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

Incessant wrote:and when I finally thought I might have gotten it, the texture didn't render
From some of your screenshots seems you are using Blender 4.x version?

As everything in Blender, the texturing system was designed by the BLENDER UI DESIGN TEAM and requires 20 or so clicks.
There is also differenced between versions:
I think the GLSL mode was introduced in 4.8 so you need higher than that. It also silently fails if your graphics card drivers don't implement GLSL OpenGL extensions.

To get textures to render and show in 3D view you have to:

1. Switch display mode to GLSL (Default is face or multitexture):
Game->Blender GLSL Materials

2. Switch viewport shading to "textured"
(In 3D view, there's an Icon with a menu, next to where you switch between Object/Edit/Sculpt modes)

3. In "Shading" panel, "Material" buttons:
-Under "Material" tab, set "shaderless" option
-Under "Map Input", set "UV" option

4. In "Shading" panel, "Texture" buttons:
-Under "Texture" tab, set "Texture Type" to "Image"
-Under "Image" tab, use "Load" to select an image (For example smothragepost.bmp)

5. Now UV unwrap the model (For a test, go into edit mode, select all faces, select Mesh->UV Unwrap->Unwrap)

Should now be able to see smoth rage in 3D

Recorded a video of the process, and the .blend file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fd8fgv3rau7v9f2

Return to “Art & Modelling”