Internet Double payed

Internet Double payed

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Senna

Internet Double payed

Post by Senna »

This is nice.. our country wants the navigation for webs be private...

I pay 80 E each month for internet and only 6mb, and now they want the navigation around webs be privated, so means i will need pay to navigate on webs too? soon for gaming i will need pay for play online too?.

if i want play another game than spring online, i found out 90% of new games you must pay an x credits to acces month. that is just hilarius i wanna see what will happend in 5 years, if everything need to be payed nobody will have internet on its house cuz will not support it, food is also expensive :( live in a house too and plus not decent work...

Sorry if this comentary is a bit about polity, plz dont lock it for some days
Just wanna see what others will think about, and wikipedia is off lol... they start banning stuffs....
Cheesecan

Re: Internet Double payed

Post by Cheesecan »

Those are just temporary protest sites against SOPA.. they will probably mostly ban controversial sites like wikileaks, megaupload, piratebay etc.

€80? Here you can get a 1 Gbit fiber connection for that price.. although not everyone(only urban upper class) has access to it. Internet is almost a social class issue because where you live determines what you can get and where you live is determined by how rich or poor you are. I pay €40 for 24 mbit ADSL because my landlord is too cheap to install fiber. This is the same price they had 10 years ago, of course their costs must have decreased but there is an ISP cartel here so prices won't go down unless they want them to. The greater part of the country still can't get fiber because the politicians don't care about infrastructure.

EU also passed the private copying levy which together with floods in asia caused harddrive prices to double.. I think it is just the first in a line of pirating taxes imposed on consumers. They are now thinking of charging ISP customers similar taxes too.. so we already pay them for pirating but they still shut down sites.. Big government + big corporations = grim future for ordinary people.

Yesterday they charged a 24 yo guy here for sharing 60 movies on bittorrent. He will probably be spending the rest of his life in misery because Swedish bankrupty law is tough..debt never goes away. Unlike banks who can go bankrupt anytime and be saved.
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

I don't remember a private copying levy passing in EU recently, never mind causing the hard drive price bubble.

Oh wait are you American?
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

In my country, downloading for personal use is legal, but there is a tax on all forms of blank media (dvd, hdd, flash). But at least my internet is only 15 euros for 80mbit.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Beherith wrote:In my country, downloading for personal use is legal, but there is a tax on all forms of blank media (dvd, hdd, flash). But at least my internet is only 15 euros for 80mbit.
Lalalal... dont know what you all talk about... trobols- i dont have them...lololo
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

PicassoCT wrote:
Beherith wrote:In my country, downloading for personal use is legal, but there is a tax on all forms of blank media (dvd, hdd, flash). But at least my internet is only 15 euros for 80mbit.
Lalalal... dont know what you all talk about... trobols- i dont have them...lololo
+1
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

Cheesecan wrote:See http://www.eulaws.eu/?p=634
loltldr

OK EXPERT ANALYSIS:
Shitty wall of text article, enough information for American attention span
to break, tricking them into jumping to conclusion. (Anti EU, surprise!)

Directive judges that:
- Authors 'suffer damage' when private copying occurs.
- Therefore they must be compensated for private copying.

Countries that want their laws EU synchronized may either:
- Not allow private copying without author permission
- Allow private copying and compensate authors

Directive RELEASES countries from obligation to track private copying due to technical difficulty of such.
Countries are expected to implement compensation by different means.
Explicitly allowed possibility of taxing reproduction equipment, but can be anything. (Anything they can defend in court as fair compensation of authors, if fairness is challenged in EU law court)

Directive does not constrain countries in amount of compensation required or what is covered if taxation is used.

From above, it does not introduce a 'private copying levy'.

Specific details for my country:
Private copying compensation laws passed several years ago.
All general purpose storage media taxed. (HDs, SSDs, memory sticks, ROM in printers (wtf), etc.)
No additional legislation will be enacted to comply, and I expect same holds for the other EU countries already implementing it. (Some listed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy the wiki link you posted)

Now how is an EU directive telling countries to pass laws compensating authors for private copying, (By means, amount and scope they can freely choose) responsible for hard drive price doubling?

It is profitable for providers to synchronuously rise prices on a market good in agreement.
This is against the law. (Collusion, Price fixing)
The LCD monitor manufacturer companies were investigated & fined for latter some time ago.
US harddrive production barons are wiser, and decided to wait for a special event (Floods -> Natural disaster -> Act of Dog), in order to divert attention of supervision committees.
Independently of this the evil internet US cartel is blaming some EU law.

Expect similar anal-perforation in other industries for example:
ISPs switching to 'usage based billing'.
You may think it is no big deal as they are just exchanging the way your bill is calculated, but what happens is price of gigabyte magically jumps by 3 orders of magnitude in every ISP serving your area at once.
Good luck getting a mass of people jumping ship to an another provider with the same prices or what ever the 'free market' religion evangelist told you will make private for profit companies magically yield in consumer favour against their interests.

Afaik smoth goes to 4chan for his anti EU stuff, is this really common in your community :3?
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

At least on Sweden tax on hds coincided with the passing of that law. They charge up to 30 euros tax on media stations. Nevermind you might only be watching copies of titles you bought. How is that fair that ppl who dont pirate should pay the bill?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”