Name suggestions for the BA remake - Page 8

Name suggestions for the BA remake

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

AF
AI Developer

Re: Name suggestions for the BA remake

Post by AF »

Nobody said the name had to have Meaning, I'm sure the word Google was very meaningful when they founded the company, or Zerply, or Geforce, or Radeon, or plenty of other companies that found success with weird and wacky names.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

"Big Angry Robots"

makes me think of Angry Birds
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Me too :S
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

shorten to Angry Robots, sell to idiotic smartphone users = huge profit
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

AF wrote:Nobody said the name had to have Meaning, I'm sure the word Google was very meaningful when they founded the company, or Zerply, or Geforce, or Radeon, or plenty of other companies that found success with weird and wacky names.
But if it has no meaning it should at least sound cool (like the above) and not be just baahhhhhhh... :twisted:
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

I think it should still just be BAR(cause I think just plain BAR is cool), but if someone asks if it stands for anything we could answer.. Big Angry Robots
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Funkencool wrote:I think it should still just be BAR(cause I think just plain BAR is cool), but if someone asks if it stands for anything we could answer.. Big Angry Robots
+1
Gigamez

Post by Gigamez »

AF wrote:Nobody said the name had to have Meaning, I'm sure the word Google was very meaningful when they founded the company, or Zerply, or Geforce, or Radeon, or plenty of other companies that found success with weird and wacky names.
none of that company have an acronim as their name. All of that name are evocative, for example:

Google drift from Googol (just search the "google name history"). If you don't know the meaning of "googol" just search it in wikipedia;
Geforce drift from g - force, gravity - force and is very evocative.
nVidia drift from latin (now italian) speaking. In latin/ita "invidia" (that is actually the pronunciation of the name) means "ENVY", and is also in this case VERY evocative.
Radeon is a replicated name: the origin of that name is founded in Star Trek, where "radeon" it was a planet.
Microsoft drift from micro-software;

EVERY company's name must to be evocative or to be something completely out of the context, but with a precise meaning (like Apple, for example).
now i return to ask.. how is the evocation of B.A.R. ? :shock:
B.A.R. has a meaning out of context? :shock:

B.A.R. means nothing, drift from NOTHING, and also (in the meaning of "Big Angry Robots") is a stupid acronim created LATER, that means nothing related to the game.

if we want to choose a name out of the context every name will be ok, but it must to be a meaning!
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Well if meaning is really what you want then it could still work as Build Attack Reclaim which very basically describes what the game is all about and TBH the name did drift. I'm also not saying I'm closed to better suggestions, I just don't think it needs to be over thought.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It's BAR not B.A.R
I just don't think it needs to be over thought.

+1
Manmax

Post by Manmax »

Well I must admit that Gigamex hit the nail on the head when I said that Big Angry Robots sounds a bit cartoonish (and I would add a bit schildish too) whereas the game is VERY SERIOUS as we all know.

So maybe Big Angry Robots does not evoke the right idea...

And Build Attack Reclaim is too flat, it's as if Battlefield was called Spawn Kill Die.. You don't have to describe the game, it's a bad idea...

So so so? What is your suggestion Gigamex?

Mine is

ThousandBattles Dynasty

or

Commanders Dynasty

(I liked the dynasty suggestion to attract Asian players. We just need to create a story of a very old dynasty of coms that then split into two factions to conquer the universe etc.)
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

how about Intellectual Property Zombie Wars or maybe Dead Horse Beaten Beyond Extinction or Total 3do Wars? All of those lack annihilation in the name.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Manmax wrote:whereas the game is VERY SERIOUS as we all know.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

The living insulting Proof that something copyied from a comercial game is still more successfull then anything invented by all the moddevs of spring together, even if it just lives of people going ReThrow.

:D

Well that turned out to be a little long.
Banners of Armed Destroyers ?
BARbeque?

Barely atAll beside DSD? ;)

How about something completely diffrent, empasizing the dangers the player gets into?
Like:
Inferno Jumper? Nah, sounds to much like a action title.
Nessescary Sacrifices? To the God StratEgos? Yeah, to dramatic, you want it to be more booringish, standardish, not standing out of the crowd, thats why good titles never get searched by the gameteams themselves, but marketing crews going for the shelves.
Collateral Worlds?

The TinCan Wars
GetOnThe Probe-U-Later
MassGrave in a FootPrint.. // Now we are getting somewhere. Anyone of the fanbois still with me. Nah, all out of the thread, getting clean underwhere. Grab a pair of balls, if youre at your Moms place! I left mine there, dont you dare taking them!

Mechanized Warfare Unlimited
//sounds like a company

Sorry, your mod lacks the feeling that there are people involved. Always did. Makes it so hard to feel involved. If there were escape capsules going from mechas, and small crews running from destroyed tanks, getting stomped and bombed, now that would create drama.
Manmax

Post by Manmax »

Mechanized Warfare is not bad....

What about Mechanized Warfare Dynasty?
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Manmax wrote:Dynasty?
What the hell :D
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

Although not entirely opposed to "BAR" as the future name. I think that "Big angry robots," is a poor choice as far as acronyms go.

I think a name should evoke strong thoughts of the game, and perhaps through its vocabulary suggest the level of intelligence required to enjoy it. Even if the name isn't "perfect" by general consensus, it could at least be one which appeals to its targete audience.

To me Big Angry Robots sounds like a generic 3+ game to be played on the wii or iphone while balancing on a motion board. Definately not the kind of name I would feel proud to tell friends when asked for strategy game reccommendations. Nor the kind of name I would enjoy typing into google.

It does not suggest an rts of epic proportions and intense economic, macro and micro level decisions. Which, at its best the TA franchise can claim to be.

Build Attack Reclaim is a better choice as far as I'm concerned.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ares wrote:Although not entirely opposed to "BAR" as the future name.

Build Attack Reclaim is a better choice as far as I'm concerned.

+1
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

I think Big Angry Robots would be purely satirical, which is usually the case in backronyms. If BAR is to be used, heres a simple way to find names http://www.opbarnes.com/revacron/revacron.php :regret:
Whatever name is decided I think It should be different enough that a simple google search will bring up results pertaining to the new BA.
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... +robots%22 from this you can see we're already in the top 4.
Last edited by Funkencool on 07 Jan 2012, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Nice to see the forum stretching issue still hasn't been fixed.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”