SOPA and independant game projects. - Page 5

SOPA and independant game projects.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

MidKnight

Re: SOPA and independant game projects.

Post by MidKnight »

On that list:
Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies (ASOP)
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Yes the bogey man is out to get you. TCPA hysteria all over again. Shh. They're listening to this too(FRA).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Verizon isn't on the list? I'm actually kinda shocked. That is a list of companies whose services I will never utilize nor ever support again if at all humanly possible.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Might consider switching over to AMD for processors, too, as Intel is in BSA, and BSA is made for SOPA.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Forboding Angel wrote:Verizon isn't on the list? I'm actually kinda shocked. That is a list of companies whose services I will never utilize nor ever support again if at all humanly possible.
Hope you're not an avid reader then because every major book publisher is on that list.

You will have to stop using your Mastercard and Visa.

Better stop buying medicine too.

Good luck bro.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I buy second hand books, when I do, and lately I won't even do that in favor of public domain e-books. Been reading a lot of novels written in the early 1900's.

I don't need medicine, and haven't take a pill in years (not counting vitamin c and a, and my yearly migraine). I am very healthy, as anyone who has access to my photo albums on G+ can tell you. I am allergic to nothing (except I think milk gives me a rumbly tumbly tummy but I can't manage to prove it, cause sometimes it bugs me and other times it doesn't). And I have no existing health issues. I've never broken a bone, and I've spent a grand total of 5 hours in my entire life as a patient in a clinic/hospital (of course not counting physicals, checkups, dentist, etc).

I use cash for everything and paypal for anything that I can't use cash on.

All in all, I would say that my support for any of those companies, at least monetarily, is tiny, if not non-existent.

The books thing is because I already have a collection of books, and I re-read and re-read like you wouldn't believe.

Health thing, meh, just the way it's always been. I don't even get colds.

Cash thing is because words cannot describe how much I loathe the banking system in the US. I am cash only unless I end up being forced to use some sort of electronic transfer.

I understand your point, but don't underestimate the fact that it's quite possible to do.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Don't paypal fees bother you? I always felt they were excessive..

I'm wondering about the topic, how is SOPA supposed to affect independant game projects? Seems a bit overdramatic.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Honestly, not really. To understand my mindset, it's necessary to understand how much I truly hate the US banking system.

It would make me very pleased if the man responsible for this atrocity (or men) were filleted alive (not literally, but figuratively, you understand me).

So I look at it as, paypal provides me with an excellent service, and now I have a business debit paypal card (so I can just extract cash whenever needed), the service is worth the 3% I pay for it (3% fee when people pay their bills to me via paypal). Paypal doesn't bend me over the table and fuck me raw, and I always know exactly how much money I have in the tin and I'm able to pay electronically when needed and most online retailers I can just pay via paypal.

For excellent service, I am willing to pay money if it saves me from frustration and anger in dealing with a bank that rips me off, right in front of my face, while laughing and squirting on more lube (US bank, I'm looking at you, stupid |=46607$).

You haven't been listening. Anyone can file a claim (and by anyone I mean RIAA, MPAA, etc), legitimate or otherwise (and not be penalized if the claim is totally false), and have a website shut down and payments/donations no longer processed and a bunch of other really really bad shit.
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

This is just not a struggle for little/indie games! League of Legends has officially joined the fight this morning. Sopa will hurt most games, directly or not and some companies are starting to realize this.

Oh yeah, I also think it is frakkin cool there is a congressman posting in that thread.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/sho ... ?t=1696462
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Spring, as the only competitioner not at all affected by Sopparts the noble cause! Down with the big guys, rolling internet blackouts allover the Intertubes, only in springField there is still light...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Spring would be shut down as a result of *A.

The webserver is the same as the lobby server.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

SpliFF wrote:Just remember that being unpopular, expensive, impractical, invasive, destructive, short-sighted, ill-advised, unwinnable and unilateral didn't prevent the U.S. from initiating both the "War on Drugs" and the "War on Terror". I'm sure the "War on Piracy" will be equally successful.
On a side note, the sentiment of either being with or against long predates Bush and has been a central element of domestic politics since the beginning.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

You either agree with Neddie or you are against him!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

If only life were as simple as the political beliefs of simpletons! In reality, disagreement between people is often the best indicator of affiliation. 8)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

What about participating in the "online strike" on January 18th? http://sopastrike.com/
springrts.com-site could look like http://www.zachstronaut.com/lab/text-sh ... -sopa.html
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

My sites will be participating in the blackout.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Cool.
I was thinking of making an auto-responder on all mail accounts I administer, but I fear all servers will end up on spam-lists, and I'll loose all my clients :D
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

Educated population is one of the best way to combat these kinds of corrupt policies.
Prominence

Post by Prominence »

Forboding Angel wrote:My sites will be participating in the blackout.

Wikipedia as well.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

http://sopastrike.com/

Full list of sites. Mine are listed there as well.

http://sopastrike.com/strike << That is what will be shown when someone visits sites I run.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”