NTai XE10.1b

NTai XE10.1b

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

NTai XE10.1b

Post by AF »

Last edited by AF on 04 Mar 2010, 19:18, edited 61 times in total.
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

well i must say its a very good thing the removal of the cursor and streaks, as it was very annoying.
alaney3

Testing

Post by alaney3 »

I am sorry to report that I Just tryed out your recent Ai verson using XTA mod on the following maps of Evergeenhaven, Foothills and Mars. From the start of each game I continually got delayed sync and no sync responces and made it unplayable.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Thats an engine bug not an AI bug, it's caused by units getting stuck in factories. But suffice to say I and the people who have tested have never gotten it save once on comet catcher v1 when a freaker got stuck in a kbot lab.
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

AF thats not a engine bug for heavens sake!
dont blaim the engine for everything! enough is enough.
you dont see other guys ai getting delayed sync and no sync over that do u ?
you if know that happens then improve ur ai code so that it doesnt hog the pc!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It is an engine bug, I have had this bug playing offlien with no AI's runnign at all when against the random spawn script.

You can stop the hogging by manually taking control of the unit causing the problem and moving it, or destroying whatevers stopping it.

And there is nothing in the AI code that makes a freaker want to walk into the wall next to it. The engine should give a UnitMoveFailed() event call to the AI in this case, but it doesnt, it should also wait till the unti has left the factory to call UnitIdle like it usually does rather than issue it as soon as it gets built.

I will look into ti but ti will mean introducing a lot more code into the scouter and factor classes, and if I do manage a workaround then I'll do a 0.29a release, with fixed unit capture code and maybe a few other random improvements.

But ym code is not at fault. This code was in place before the problem started in th first place, it wasnt till 0.65 that I ever saw this problem, and I made error reports about it and nothing was done.

Try it again and press f3, and check if the factory is being blocked by a tree, stopping untis from exiting.
caldera

Post by caldera »

playing against 2 AI bots i also get these sync-errors. playing against one bot is no problem...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

necause the more factories there are the more likely that a unit will get stuck exiting one.

Are they getting blocked by trees? If so It'd simply involve an easy fix.
caldera

Post by caldera »

i dont think its a problem with stucking in factories because the sync errors start after seconds where no factories are built. if i had to guess i would say its using too much cpu or ram to play with two AI bots...

trees are not he problem --> in comet catcher its the same prob
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

well I've had this problem and 80% of the time ti was on brazillian battlefields and the AI ahd built a factory in the middle of a forest adn a freaker got trapped.

Does KAI have the same problem? Eitherway I'll work on optimizing several routines and release a better version shortly, perhaps with nanoblobz support if I can backwards port from 0.3, or forwards port 0.29 routines to the test build code.....
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Is the crash when the commander is attacked (or in combat or something like that) fixed?
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Could it be that NTAI sends too much Commands into the networking stream? Such a flood of network packets can cause the sockets to drop packets I think, it certainly has some negative effect.

IIRC the loopback network buffer has a limited size
In any case it is pointless to keep saying that it is an engine bug, when the other AIs don't have this problem. That's just putting your head in the sand.
I'm not saying the engine is bugfree, but NTAI must be doing something from the other AIs causing this behavior, so you're the one who has to start looking into what causes this.
caldera

Post by caldera »

never tried it with KAI, just know that with the 28 version i did not haver the problem
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yes when the commander is attacked the d-gun bug will not occur.

As for that zaphod, I notice that when a freaker gets stuck (sometimes not in a factory at all), it generates these problems yet there is no unitIdle or UnitMovefailed calls according to chat console in verbose debug mode, so no extra commands are executed (there isnt code pertaining to this present in update()).
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

However units don't actually send network commands.. only AI or human players do.
This is probably some pathfinding bug yes, where it doesn't recognise that it's stuck or something... (That is the freaker getting stuck, the sync errors must be caused by NTAI)
alaney3

Post by alaney3 »

QUOTE:start of each game I continually got delayed sync and no sync responces and made it unplayable.

I got the errors at the start of each game. No attacking was going on ,no dguning, no bots stuck in factories, as I had none built. On each of the maps I was only able to build 2 solars and 2 mexes, I was playing 2 ntals against me. I get no sync errors yet with any of the other current AI's
mongus

Post by mongus »

Zaphod wrote:Could it be that NTAI sends too much Commands into the networking stream? Such a flood of network packets can cause the sockets to drop packets I think, it certainly has some negative effect.

IIRC the loopback network buffer has a limited size
In any case it is pointless to keep saying that it is an engine bug, when the other AIs don't have this problem. That's just putting your head in the sand.
I'm not saying the engine is bugfree, but NTAI must be doing something from the other AIs causing this behavior, so you're the one who has to start looking into what causes this.
i deffinetly get this errors of network stream.. will look for screshots.

and i did report that this build .29 does not build const bots!

maybe it happened just once, will test again and see what happens.

hm... ive seen it building radar tower.. question. when it gets destroyed, does it rebuild it?. cheers.
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

AF, it is an engine bug huh ? so answer me this why is it that only ur ai has that bug ?
other ai's dont have plants pumping units ?
i really dont understand.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I wasnt aware of the possibility of the network buffer being voerran by too many commands.

To correct this I shall release 0.29a shortly, which is incapable of issuing mroe than 6 commands per frame, any mroe and ti caches them and executes them in the next frame.

As usual, I release fix, I add an improvement to make up.
The build tree has been tweaked again to take into account games where the AI has been given lots of resources,
Con units reclaiming when attacked wont restart and waste time if another shot is fired anymore.
A few threat matrix improvements, aswell as an initial threat matrix adjustement so attack units are more likely to attakc an enemy startpos than an outpost.
The first Attack group NTAI builds will raid mex spots rather than attack the largest threatening sector.
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

AF wrote: To correct this I shall release 0.29a shortly, which is incapable of issuing mroe than 6 commands per frame, any mroe and ti caches them and executes them in the next frame.
that sums up to roughly 180 commands per second, what the hell are you doing?

i'd estimate aai doesnt issue more than 5-10 per sec

Return to “AI”