Replacement for the replay site.

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

Well I would rather just openly address it with no censorship.

a problem user ran one of the important spring infrastructure sites and was banned. His reaction to it was to do this:

I want to be frank here..

I don't care about his personal drama or whatever but I don't feel his little fit should prohibit you guys from replacing his site. I dare say an official replay thing could be pretty cool if this server can host it. So rather than be intimidated by the actions of a troll, i want to ask if anyone has something that can replace his site and be integrated here? Replays are useful for bug testing.

Maybe licho?
AF
AI Developer

Re: Replacement for the replay site.

Post by AF »

Can we have a list of requirements and links to relevant libraries or code written in the past.

If the requirements are deemed fair I may do such a site.

Let the speccing out of the project commence!
smoth

Post by smoth »

fair enough. Honestly I don't know, I never used the site, it looked like crap and couldn't handle lua defs.. so I don't know what was on it to have my suggestions be valid input. I just wanted to put the thread up so discussion/implementation could begin if there was an interesting party. Again not that I want it, but apparently players want it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

IIRC a map and game and a list of players would be the prime pieces of data to have.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I think the technical site should not be the problem, eg there is http://zero-k.info/Battles
But not sure if it reads the replay like Trademarks site did or if it gets that info from autohost. If it parses the replay, it would basically just need an upload function?
couldn't handle lua defs
?
you mean modinfo thing? That was unrelated to replays.adune.nl though.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Maybe, but I think this site should have it's own because devs frequently ask for replays on bug reports.

it was modinfo.adune.nl so yeah related. Either way the replay site was useless to me. Most of the replays were old versions of spring playing old mods.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Trademarks code could only parse TDF formatted scripts, it could not handle lua syntax, hence why modinfo could not handle the newer games. The replay site however, despite having the same limitation, did not suffer, as most if not all the lobby infrastructure uses scripts in the TDF format.
knorke

Post by knorke »

because devs frequently ask for replays on bug reports.
It does not need a replay site for that, attaching to mantis or something just works fine I think? After all in that nobody case who won etc.

I think it should be site for players to upload & discuss replays, imo every rts community needs that. (even if at the end it was mostly dsd replays nobody watched and comments were trolls trolling trolls, the idea was a good one.)

Return to “Infrastructure Development”