what are the requirements to be able to host springie?

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

I am thinking of getting a .net server for my webpage and saying goodbye to fucking php.. so, if I get a .net server it would be awesome if I could host the gundam autohost from there and log the stats...

so what WOULD I need to be able to run springie?
danil_kalina

Re: what are the requirements to be able to host springie?

Post by danil_kalina »

microsoft, hmmm... not good
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

danil_kalina wrote:microsoft, hmmm... not good
Doesn't Springie run on Mono? And .NET is worth the trouble of dealing with MS - it's a really good development platform. Although I still say ASP.Net Webforms were a crime against humanity.
smoth

Post by smoth »

danil_kalina wrote:microsoft, hmmm... not good
go away and take your ignorance with you.
Pxtl wrote:Doesn't Springie run on Mono?
doesn't matter if it does.
Pxtl wrote:And .NET is worth the trouble of dealing with MS - it's a really good development platform. Although I still say ASP.Net Webforms were a crime against humanity.
that's nice, I am glad you have an opinion, I completely disagree.

can we continue to the actual facts about springie and not have to have this idiotic back and forth about who's operating system preference is the bestest?
danil_kalina

Post by danil_kalina »

ASP .NET is fast and slow at the same time
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

> doesn't matter if it does.

Well, actually, it does matter. That's a system requirement, like you asked for, remember? Mono isn't a *perfect* implementation of .NET, so it's normally important to consider whether your server is *true* .NET or a Mono server... but Springie apparently goes fine either way.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Well smoth, I've run springie on my own machine before, and unless I'm mistaken, if you have the server to yourself you should be able to run it just fine. The only hard part is feeding it the variables (which takes all of 2 minutes).

When you say "need" I'm assuming you mean in the way of server resources. Unfortunately I dunno anymore. Licho has since changed springie so that it no longer rapes server resources when a game starts, but I do believe that you will need a dedicated server for it (though you probably already knew that).
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pxtl wrote:> doesn't matter if it does.

Well, actually, it does matter. That's a system requirement, like you asked for, remember? Mono isn't a *perfect* implementation of .NET, so it's normally important to consider whether your server is *true* .NET or a Mono server... but Springie apparently goes fine either way.
it doesn't matter because I am not doing it.

I will try and be more clear. I am not running it from a personal computer. Nor am I interested in playing sys admin on a server i am paying for. I am trying to find out what a WINDOWS SERVER not linux, not your favorite version of waffle maker WINDOWS SERVER because I am a .net developer. I want to use .net on my page. I don't want to use mono, I don't want to deal with it's short coming. I don't want to use "not"windows server.. stop pushing it please. I have my reasons to ask for what I am looking into. Stop trying to push your technological preference pxtl.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:Well smoth, I've run springie on my own machine before, and unless I'm mistaken, if you have the server to yourself you should be able to run it just fine. The only hard part is feeding it the variables (which takes all of 2 minutes).
I am not paying for or running a dedicated server. I want to do as minimal server admin shit as possible.
Forboding Angel wrote:When you say "need" I'm assuming you mean in the way of server resources. Unfortunately I dunno anymore. Licho has since changed springie so that it no longer rapes server resources when a game starts, but I do believe that you will need a dedicated server for it (though you probably already knew that).
pretty much I am trying to find out what level of server access and support do I need to be looking for in a hosting package for a windows server.
knorke

Post by knorke »

stay civil and on topic guys...
---
I am trying to find out what level of server access and support do I need
for such details it is maybe best to ask Licho, since he devs Springie.
wiki has some (outdated?) springie pages, maybe something is hidden there or in the linked threads (repair forum links with springrts.com and they work)
What I found:
- "Open UDP Port"
-"windows with .NET framework 2.0 or Mono installed"
- "You don't need any super connection. Any ADSL will do. Traffic generated by hosting is really small. You don't need a very powerfull CPU either."
-appearently works on linux too and zk autohosts use that
But really, ask Licho.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah tried to catch him earlier today.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Nothing to do with technological preferences. I love the .NET framework anyways. I just meant that Mono servers were cheaper.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Springie itself needs nothing extra on windows - its just exe you run.

On linux it needs mono.

Springie sends data to server using SOAP, you can implement the soap webservice using any technology you want. At present its handled by ASP.NET MVC 3 on the zero-k.info
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Licho wrote:Springie itself needs nothing extra on windows - its just exe you run.

On linux it needs mono.

Springie sends data to server using SOAP, you can implement the soap webservice using any technology you want. At present its handled by ASP.NET MVC 3 on the zero-k.info
If anyone wants to collaborate on a PHP webservice for springie let me know. We could develop new campaigns like planetwars for those of us averse to .NET.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Yeah good one! Reinvent the wheel and burn a few more dev-years again to get.. uh.. the same stuff at *best*?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Licho wrote:you can implement the soap webservice using any technology you want.
Why would you say this and then get mad when I respond to it?
CarRepairer wrote:new campaigns like planetwars
Emphasis added. Intent is not to recreate the same thing at all, but some other persistent online campaign that could be completely different from PW.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'm curious, what will you be using once you switch to .Net to replace your current phpbb mashup?

( I assume proposing SPADS will incur major smothraeg too although it should be capable of running on a windows machine perfectly fine )
smoth

Post by smoth »

af:
I want to use springie because that is what gundam currently uses and I trust licho's code.

Dunno, I figure I would figure it out when I get there. There are C# message boards and whatever posts I need to carry over from the old forum I can. Depends on what the next year will hold.

Return to “Ingame Community”