December/january reading..

December/january reading..

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Andrej

Re: December/january reading..

Post by Andrej »

I'm almost 100% sure you posted about reading The Mythical Man Month to pass time during airplane trips once before, are you rereading a different edition?

In during you get reported for spam because posting links to 'merchandise' in a vaguely but somehow not Spring related thread.
smoth

Post by smoth »

backseat moderation
if you were the one who reported the post:
abuse of the reporting system..
you mad?

don't be a tool.

Last book I read on a flight was this:
Why Software Sucks ... And What You Can Do About It, by David S Platt
before that:
Agile Software Development with Scrum

el matarlife did. You could have searched it yourself but nooooo
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

fuck you and your amazon links

also read more shitty scifi instead of books that might teach you something, fag
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

I don't know, mods spammed my threads with spam witch hunt before.

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25859

It is the accepted way, deal with it.

Stop doing this, there is nothing different about this post filled with links to for-pay amazon product and a Korean posting links to for-pay amazon product.

By the way how do you know I reported your post?
Having a back-channel to communicate with mods & lobby American interest is backseat moderation surely.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Recommended for You Based on Your Recent History:
http://www.amazon.com/Hamsters-Dummies- ... 470121637/
i loled
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Come on, smoth wouldnt sell us stuff. Hes above that. Well maybe gundam merchandise

also it has been good pratice here to link to interesting reads. Bonus if they are free like the gamesite you link it from.

Also the mythical man year is a classic. You cant recomend that. Anyone who has to be recomended that, needs other tutorial links first, and will read it anyway later. Thats like recomending beethovens fifth or willy wonkas choclat factory. Or bread. Or water. Or Air.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Andrej wrote:I don't know, mods spammed my threads with spam witch hunt before.

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25859
It is the accepted way, deal with it.
Sinbad who is a moron and banned from my site said something on your thread. and satirik a know troll made a JOKE. big whoop way to get buttmad about something from a year ago.
Andrej wrote:Stop doing this, there is nothing different about this post filled with links to for-pay amazon product and a Korean posting links to for-pay amazon product.
Funny how 1/2 of those books are for spring related things. Also the difference being I am not here soley for spam. Use common sense stop being a tool.
smoth wrote: if you were the one who reported the post:
abuse of the reporting system..
Andrej wrote:By the way how do you know I reported your post?
Having a back-channel to communicate with mods & lobby American interest is backseat moderation surely.
english must not be your first language. the if in front means I am saying if you did that, I could then counter-report you.

also this book series is a great coffee table series to have, if you have a guest area:
Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do
and this one
The Guide for Guys: An Extremely Useful Manual for Old Boys and Young Men
I have a whole BUNCH of books, like 1/4 of my moving bulk consists of books and movies
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:Hes above that. Well maybe gundam merchandise.
if I knew of good sites to order from I would but I only know of good sites for americans sorry.
PicassoCT wrote:also it has been good pratice here to link to interesting reads. Bonus if they are free like the gamesite you link it from.
esp things related to technology and OPENGL
PicassoCT wrote:Also the mythical man year is a classic. You cant recomend that. Anyone who has to be recomended that, needs other tutorial links first, and will read it anyway later. Thats like recomending beethovens fifth or willy wonkas choclat factory. Or bread. Or water. Or Air.
Really? that good? I am glad I picked it up. The other book was for humor. Going to put it on my desk at work to spark conversations.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Its basically in every fuckin book about project managment. FeatureCreep, first site, in the footnotes.

I stumbled over it in that microsoft book on project managment. I hate microsoft but you cant denie that quality people have left that company. VALVE!
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

the if in front means I am saying if you did that, I could then counter-report you.
I did report it. So you do claim you could counter-report me.
Based on what?

Automated spam bots are bruteforcing forum accounts, a failed-password captcha was even added to address this
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... it=captcha

Your spam post is indistinguishable from a Korean hack succeedding to hijack account and posting spam, reporting it is the correct thing to do, counter reporting is abuse of the reporting system.
You are guilty of hinting of intention to do exactly what you were incorrectly accusing me of.

Spring related is a lie, the two are generic OpenGL books.
I initially assumed you were linking to free OpenGL ebooks so I felt guilty about only reporting based on 2/4 commercial but it turns out they also link to amazon sale, unsurprisingly.

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p452192
you know I reported that post for backseat moderation but honestly I want it to stay. I feel bad that I neglected to type that in my report.
For some members of the respected moderation staff your word is the word of god, you can act in full expectation for it to be turned into executive policy and request in what way you want it fulfilled, as in the linked thread, so dont play completely innocent.
You could have searched it yourself but nooooo
You told me to use the search feature so I did:

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 42#p400342
In the end there is still no reason to produce a Starcraft project
Can this stupid thread get a lock?
(Locked after that was posted)

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 36#p506736
Basically impersonating a moderator I dunno how to describe the above otherwise....

Proof I need to explicitly defend myself, too risky to just step away.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Andrej wrote:Spring related is a lie, the two are generic OpenGL books.
I initially assumed you were linking to free OpenGL ebooks so I felt guilty about only reporting based on 2/4 commercial but it turns out they also link to amazon sale, unsurprisingly.
it is the link I had on hand to the books. Deal with it.
Spring is written in opengl. I am picking up the knowledge to better use open gl to accomplish my goals in the engine.
Andrej wrote:Proof I need to explicitly defend myself, too risky to just step away.
hardly, I think you need to put down the booze and go to bed. I have 17,000+ posts for you to use as ammunition to do whatever strawman you want. You have like 100 something, I don't really have enough random posts to play adhominem with posts taken out of context. I am here to talk about books. I notice you didn't even COMMENT on the opengl books.

put
the
booze
down.
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

You did not address the point that it is valid to report the duck that quacks like a Korean, walks like a Korean and links amazon like a Korean because spam bots have been bruteforcing forum accounts with intention to take over and post spam.
Spring is written in opengl.
Nitpicking: Written in C++
Not Nitpicking:
- There is multithreaded spring
- The way OpenGL contexts work, there is one per thread, you can only do OpenGL calls from within that thread
- Spring was originally single thread with random OpenGL (Even immediate mode) all over the place
- That multithread exists is the proof that amount of OpenGL in Spring is so small it was possible to rip all of it out, into a separate system, running the OpenGL context. (See rts/lib/gml directory, the comment on top of gml.cpp about gml operation)
- Since there are, besides bots, actual hired humans posting spam, this is within reasonable limits of "Lets post vaguely related but still linking to amazon content besides the full blown linking to amazon content"
posts taken out of context
Posts I quoted are taken out of context? I even linked to threads the posts are in so reader can see the context by themselves.

For example THIS is out of context?
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 61#p108961
Successfully requesting no deletion or hiding after tldr personal attack + rage post.

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p452192
Bemoaning that you forgot to instruct moderator to only punish, not to delete.
I notice you didn't even COMMENT on the opengl books.
Uhhh... From the very post your previous post is quoting:
Seems to comment on the opengl books.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I like "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy, The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, "The Lives of a Cell" by Lewis Thomas, and various biology field guides. :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Andrej, I am done with you. Count it as a victory or whatever, I am going back to the topic of the thread. You can go troll up another thread.
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

Have they deleted your affiliate id bro? I earn a fair amount as an amazon affiliate marketeer too :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Sabutai wrote:Have they deleted your affiliate id bro? I earn a fair amount as an amazon affiliate marketeer too :-)
Huh?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

and the moral of the story is not to post links directly to products on a page where they are for sale

edit: omg though, hamsters for dummies :3 when do i get my hamster
smoth

Post by smoth »

The moral is I will post links to whatever the fuck I want. I was not posting links with querystrings or links to questionable upload sites(rapidshare, mediafire etc). If the links had query strings in them I could understand the suspicion. However, they didn't have any. Andrej was harrassing me because he felt slighted about a moderator's retard post and about how people questioned his link or whatever. I don't think adding such a level of bureaucratic bullshit is justified.

I feel it is wrong to call me into question like this because the link was to a "commercial site" or whatever. if my forum account were hacked, we would have bigger concerns than SPAM. I think it is bullshit how he was allowed to derail this thread only to harass me. I was genuinely starting a discussion about these sort of books because I had been discussing it IN LOBBY WITH THE DEVS. I have been looking into learning gl to actually help out more around here but it is ok to give me a bunch of shit because I was "lying" right?

I would understand if I were an account with VERY LITTLE activity or a new account. At which point the normal reaction is to report a post as questionable but I feel andrej had 0 right to do what he did and find it even more annoying that rather than chastise him a member of moderation is virtually goading it along.

I was perfectly happy to let this go yesterday but I find it a rude awakening to see it is still going on this morning.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I read the opengl shading lang book, without a huge amount of prior opengl knowledge, and found it extremely interesting. The only thing I kinda miss from it is performance indications.

But since its just a standard, and the performance is dependant on the driver's implementation, at least a ball park figure would be nice.
(like how much does a sin(x) cost, a texture lookup cost, etc.)

EDIT: Guys, stop beating the dead horse. smoth did not do anything wrong by posting non affiliate links. This is off topic after all.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”