Commander morph features

Commander morph features

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

babbles

Commander morph features

Post by babbles »

Remove missiles/plasma shot please. I said this when Noruas brought it in, it serves little purpose. I recently saw Deadnight tell Shift he "didn't know how to use it".

But let's be honest, if your Commander shoots a fusion in your base because of rockets you have no control over, which shoot while you D-Gun, it's not the user that's in the wrong. And if they are, then the reward for being good at D-gunning is...you can no longer use it without threat of blowing yourself up.

And I don't really know the other Comm stuff beyond that, but sniper thing seems stupid. If I want that, I make a sniper.

Paralyser, fine.
Self repair, fine.
Double laser, fine.
knorke

Re: Commander morph features

Post by knorke »

rockets you have no control over, which shoot while you D-Gun
iirc they even shoot without d-gun unless com is on "hold fire"
babbles

Post by babbles »

Yes, they do.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Are you talking about the Satelight [sic] commander weapon? The raven missiles for arm and mobile artillery glowing catapult shot for core?

Those are level 4 commander weapons, and it's not often someone morphs that high anyway.
Last edited by Jools on 07 Dec 2011, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

babbles wrote:I recently saw Deadnight tell Shift he "didn't know how to use it".
Why is this even in the discussion?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:
babbles wrote:I recently saw Deadnight tell Shift he "didn't know how to use it".
Why is this even in the discussion?

Because if one person has no idea how to use it then that's a statistically significant portion of the XTA playerbase, and as such, a damning statement
babbles

Post by babbles »

Because that's the developer's view point and the only comment I've seen them make about it. Someone complained about it, and got that response from the developer, if the developer's comments about it aren't important in a discussion, then well, I don't know what is.

And with the default comm option, jools, people get these "perks" without even realising.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Random quotes taken out of context in what can be seen as an attempt to place a bad light on the developer are never helpful. It only serves to distant that developer from you. Which is the VOLUNTEER you are making demands of.

IT would have been more fair to actually detail the scenario but at that point you would just be stirring up drama over one encounter. I would advise to avoid quoting someone like that when it is a matter of argument.
smoth

Post by smoth »

babbles wrote:And with the default comm option, jools, people get these "perks" without even realizing.
can it be turned off?
babbles

Post by babbles »

I'm not trying to create drama, in fact I made reference that DNW didn't actually implement the rockets.

And yes, it can be turned off, but that's not the point as the default option, which most will play, is the way I described it.

And if you want the full context:

We were playing a 3v3, Shift kept D-gunning units attacking his base, so much that his commander got to the rocket stage. When he next fired a D-gun at a unit attacking his base, his commander also fired rockets behind him and blew up his fusion within his own base. DNW I believe was watching this and when shift complained about it, DNW gave the response that Shift didn't know how to use it. Now, me typing all of this seems like I'm making a bigger deal out of it and creating more drama.
smoth

Post by smoth »

so maybe that option should be off by default and another option should be on instead as the default?
babbles

Post by babbles »

But why have the feature in the first place?
smoth

Post by smoth »

for people who "know how to use it" everyone else can use a different morph.
knorke

Post by knorke »

smoth wrote:for people who "know how to use it" everyone else can use a different morph.
+1
i dont know how to use the rockets either, so i just upgrade shields instead.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I still don't know if we're discussing the satellite commanders. But to answer the question of why have it?

Because a level 4 morph costs 8000 metal or so. It should give some benefits. Raven rockets are good if you know how to use them. (there, I said it too.)
babbles

Post by babbles »

Let's make sniper also fire backwards at same time, regardless if friendly target is there.

It shoots your own stuff? You don't know how to use it.
Deadnight Warrior

Post by Deadnight Warrior »

babbles wrote:DNW I believe was watching this and when shift complained about it, DNW gave the response that Shift didn't know how to use it.
Every time he encounters something he doesn't like in XTA he blames me: "...cause you're the dev, you can fix it". So this time I was just trolling him back.
I increased the accuracy and lowered the damage of those satellite weapons, and now they seem to hit enemys instead of friendlies (more often than not).

Even though I explained this over and over again, here's a brief overview of autoupgradable commanders abilities:
  • 0.15 XP: 15% extra armour, secondary laser
  • 0.3 XP Paralyzer beam (ARM) / Ion beam (CORE)
  • 0.6 XP Satellite strike
  • 1.2 XP Sniper gun (ARM only)
  • 1.4 XP Sumo laser (CORE only)
Commanders gradualy increase their radar, sonar, LoS range and movement speed and cap at 1.5 XP (4x radar, 2x sonar, 1.5x LoS, 1.5x speed).
Laser range also increases gradualy till 2.25XP and 2.5x range (ARM, starts from 200) / 2XP and 2x range (CORE, starts from 260)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Cool, I didn't really know about all those features. Then the auto-upgrading option is quite nice too, provided that the idle effect is removed.

However, the discrete upgrading is still better from a strategical point of view, it gives you one more start option: spend metal and get a bit more storage capacity, as well as a longer d-gun. It can be a good start option in those cases when you are doing a quick air start and need to reclaim the lab early. Most people won't bother with making metal and energy storages.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

looks interesting, maybe i should start playing again
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

What's stopping you?

Return to “XTA”