who is currently maintaining BA?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

[f=0017903] [BrainDamage] btw, anyone can contact thefatcontroller?
[f=0018637] [[NC]Antelope] need me to call TFC?
[f=0019113] [BrainDamage] yes, he needs to make a new ba release
[f=0019295] [BrainDamage] there's several things to fix
[f=0019379] [BrainDamage] rather urgently
[f=0019434] [[NC]Antelope] Gimme a sec
[f=0021762] [BrainDamage] can you leave him a message?
[f=0022851] [BrainDamage] Spectators: tell him he needs to make a new BA release
[f=0023284] [BrainDamage] Spectators: he needs to copy the widgets in the example folder into the BA's widgets
[f=0023516] [BrainDamage] Spectators: since they are not enabled by default anymore with the engine
[f=0023774] [BrainDamage] Spectators: and people don't see start boxes, etc
[f=0024205] [BrainDamage] Spectators: and the second fix: he needs to update the the game end gadget from latest spring
[f=0024429] [BrainDamage] Spectators: old doesn't handle resign and other bullshit
[f=0028220] [[NC]Antelope] he just texted me back
[f=0028439] [[NC]Antelope] he says he has moved on to SC2
[f=0028623] [[NC]Antelope] and will no longer be maintaining BAS
[f=0028672] [[NC]Antelope] BA*
[f=0028853] [BrainDamage] and who's maintaining it atm?
luckywaldo7

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Instead of a single maintainer BA has moved to trac/svn and multiple commiters: http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balatest/wiki

At least this is the last I know of it.
knorke

Post by knorke »

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26358 and the other sticky threads in games&mods have info about what needs to be updated.
Senna

Post by Senna »

Ive Asked TFC if i can Maintain BA, i have time and I got experience modding right now, but i will NOT release 1 new BA release until he answer me
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

Cool! Senna should maintain BA! He has lot's of good ideas what needs to be improved in BA!

Every new zero-k release makes me sad because I see that it evolves much faster then BA

-- [DoR]Saruman / [decay]revenant
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

8 minutes beherith: Added missing default widgets from engine's /examples folder
The beast has been roused
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Did the requested updates.
Lord Juzza

Post by Lord Juzza »

Senna for new Dev!
sillynanny

Post by sillynanny »

jamerlan wrote: Every new zero-k release makes me sad because I see that it evolves much faster then BA

BA is not supposed to evolve.
albator

Post by albator »

jamerlan wrote:Cool! Senna should maintain BA! He has lot's of good ideas what needs to be improved in BA!

Every new zero-k release makes me sad because I see that it evolves much faster then BA

Maintening BA has nothing to do with "improving" it.

To give you an exemple, the "improving" of the last BA team that decided to "make BA better" results in 90% of the top 20% best BA player to leave BA (for Lol)

And the end, the modifications got reverted, and that was for a reason.
albator

Post by albator »

Lord Juzza wrote:Senna for new Dev!
So people get drawn to PA ? :D
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

albator wrote: Maintening BA has nothing to do with "improving" it.

To give you an exemple, the "improving" of the last BA team that decided to "make BA better" results in 90% of the top 20% best BA player to leave BA (for Lol)

A big part of that reason is that those BA "elite players" (>2000h ingame) refuse to relearn gameplay elements they invested literally years into learning them.
BA will die for sure if it only does what is needed to keep those 20% top players happy while ignoring the other 80%.
albator

Post by albator »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
albator wrote: Maintening BA has nothing to do with "improving" it.

A big part of that reason is that those BA "elite players" (>2000h ingame) refuse to relearn gameplay elements they invested literally years into learning them.
BA will die for sure if it only does what is needed to keep those 20% top players happy while ignoring the other 80%.

There is nothing to "relearn" by making all units shit which makes defence OP
Winning game then is about making huge eco before spamming.
Nothing to relearn about. That the reason they left.

It is like if you were asking a PhD to sum 1+1 and since he does want to do it cause that is too boring you blaming him for being incompetent while 7 years old are happy casue they can compete

If leanrning to play need stop using skill and make eco, then yes i dont want to "relearn", any RTS is that already (including BA mutator with 10 Teck level)
Totally true: That is exactly waht was doing TFC. There is a difference between making small changes like he was doing, step by step, and total re-balance just cause you have the power to do so and you think you are superior....
Manmax

Post by Manmax »

And we need new uniiiiiiiiiiiits!!!

(i mean new models, although a couple of new units would make me happy too)
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

sillynanny wrote:BA is not supposed to evolve.
Senna made lot's of interesting changes like 50% cheaper punisher or guardian.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

What BA needs is balance. No new units. It has already tons of useless units...
Senna

Post by Senna »

What BA needs is make Those lots of useless units more usefull by slighty changing them, thats what i was doing with the dsd special remix i did, was trying to make the units that are not very used give them more chances to be used. It will take time to perfect the mod that is not a problem atm.
albator

Post by albator »

Senna wrote:What BA needs is make Those lots of useless units more usefull by slighty changing them, thats what i was doing with the dsd special remix i did, was trying to make the units that are not very used give them more chances to be used. It will take time to perfect the mod that is not a problem atm.
Most of the changed you made are totally screw up ffa balance, since those unit are really used a lot in ffa. I am not saying everything is bad, but that you cannot decide to make some many changes at once alone cause just noone can. Once again, too much focus on DSD.

TFC has achieved to damped all enthousiastic balance change since years and make something quite "balance" over the years. Start to make many changes at once and you will ruined all he has done.
Senna

Post by Senna »

Actually BA no need major changes, just balance tweaks.
i was talking about this with people now, and they say to dont make big changes and i will heard it. but i say there is a lot of changes with BA 7.20 and BA 7.60

And i dont want to ruin nothing.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

I argue that 75% of the player base is not that keen on balance tweaks as some people here seem to think. You guys forget that 75% (roughly estimated) are casual gamers that just want to have some fun games who dont care if a flash tank costs 120m or 130m if they have their fun.

I am not saying they totally dont care but I guess there are lots of points that would have a higher priority on their list: a proper UI, Save/Load-support, a BA website (including player forum, unit stats, replays), a proper installer etc etc. All that is stuff that a BA maintainer could put work into to take BA to the next level. There is sooo much more to do about BA than just tweaking some balance stats :/

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”