SOPA and independant game projects.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

To have a serious thread about this...
knorke

Re: SOPA and independant game projects.

Post by knorke »

smoth wrote:any project that is in even arguable status can be squashed by a corporation.. such as notch vs bethseda..
Bad example I think.
Wasn't that just an arguement about product names? "Scrolls" vs "The Elder Scrolls" or somehing. Can happen for non-internet things too, like if you try to sell a car called "Wolfswagen"-car or a "Boing"-airplane.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

it's not a perfect example but at the same time i think if SOPA were in place, minecraft would have been blocked automatically without an investigation after the complaint?
scifi

Post by scifi »

"There is also a catch: a site owner who issues a counter-notice automatically consents to being sued in U.S. courts (a strong disincentive for sites based abroad)."

"A copyright holder need only accuse a website of infringement, and the search engine, advertisement, and payment system would be cut off in five days. The DNS filtering would still need the involvement of the Department of Justice to get that court order, but again, there would be no need to prove anything to obtain such an order from a judge. "

just quoting
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Link plox.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Would be kind of you to link us about what is that SOPA thing, so that we may partake in the raging.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

All of these laws are leading to:

1.) A ban on internet anonymity. You can't enforce SOPA/DMCA properly with anonymous websites and users.
2.) A ban on third-party DNS and direct IP addressing. You can't enforce SOPA/DMCA properly without control of all DNS.
3.) A ban on strong encryption. You can't enforce SOPA/DMCA properly if communications and searches are encrypted without weaknesses and backdoors.

I dream of the day when a network exists that's completely decentralised and anonymous and immune from spying and censorship. Oh wait it does exist! It just sucks because there aren't enough people using it. Oh wait, SOPA will drive more people onto these services! Oh wait, SOPA is awesome!
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

from what i understand vidalia uses a relay of VPNs; SOPA will block all VPN and proxy traffic, and the use of such will be deemed illegal, just like china.

even though this is something occurring under USA law, it will effect all of us...

- all .com, .org and .net domains are contained in a registry in the USA, so they will be treated as within US jurisdiction for the intents of SOPA
- ip addresses in Canada, the USA and the Caribbean are allocated by a US system, and as such will be treated as domestic
- even sites that are not domestic to the USA can have their jurisdiction snatched (if somebody from the USA connects to them)
- if your website is taken down by SOPA, in order to appeal, you must first consent to the jurisdiction of the US court system (rather than the international criminal court)
- copyright reform will become part of US foreign policy as they attempt to shoehorn their system into other, weaker legal systems

they will have you by the short hairs regardless of where you live in the world. this is scary stuff, and needs to be stopped.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i am to lazy to inform myself properly, but..
so i claim microsoft did something illegal, like.. they have those strange foreigners involved, that claim their indians, though they do not have US passports, and everyone knows indians are tribes living in america, ...
and without any necessity for prove or whatever, microsoft.com will be shut off?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

The good news is that the software alliance withdraw support of this bill.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

not sure about how exactly complaints would be handled, but from what i understand, it has to be copyright infringement related, and to do with accessibility of copyrighted material being made available on the web

so like... if you made a search engine... and somebody made a warez site that could be found on said engine... then a complaint comes in, forcing your search engine would be insta-blocked in 90% of the world, and if you wished to appeal, you consent to the authority of the united states courts and go to trial over there. your payments from paypal / mastercard etc would be permanently frozen. you also are automatically sued by the US government for making an appeal.

keep in mind this counts for the whole world; there would be nothing to force you to go to court, but at the same time, if your online business was interfered with (legitimately or not) by SOPA, then your livelihood is gone.

again, this effects the whole world. springrts.com nameserver is likely in the USA, so a single complaint against this website would probably block most of us from accessing it indefenitely.

you would do well to learn about this, because if it goes through, it's going to change a LOT of things about the internet for the worse.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Yeah, one whisper from Atari, founded or not, would shut this entire site down.

To make matters even worse, after the complaint, Atari wouldn't then later be able to decide that it is A-ok and spring doesn't infringe, because the moment the complaint is made, the US Government is involved.

I can't believe that my country is doing this. It's like I'm living in the twilight zone.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I'm struggling to believe, this all sounds like comic book evil.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

do something about it forb. join a protest, throw a brick, sign ALL of the petitions!
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

soo.. web space hosters could make extra money, or gain extra market share when they may sell their stuff as "SOPA free", meaning, everything needed to run websites hosted by them is outside of the US...
*long story*
... and thus the whole internet would move out of the US, including all domains, and in the process would also, very likely, be spread more evenly among top level domains, which can't hurt for future, similar cases.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

KaiserJ wrote:do something about it forb. join a protest, throw a brick, sign ALL of the petitions!
I have been. I even joined the censored webpage thing on censorship day. I've sent letters to every congressperson in my state, signed petitions, told everyone I know, etc. Hell, Even my Mother is all over it (she and a large group forward shit like this around to one another).

In the end, I'm upset that I am absolutely powerless to do more.

This must be why people by those awful hybrid cars. Spending tons of money on something that is supposed to help the environment after it has already raped the environment while in the manufacturing process I guess helps people feel like they're actually doing something. It's a bad joke.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

So, DDOS big media sites with takedown requests?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

bah, this is one of those laws that get introduced, than get massively abused, and then the judges silently burry it by making so many difficult_to_startLawsuit_conditions that is basically is not worth the paper its written upon. Still. It shows in what condition the us-democracy is (and the eu not far behind) well, in the end its just like with piracy. You can make all the laws in the world, but if nobody follows them, you just ridicul those laws that are finally important. Imagine this filled paragraph-diaper beside the laws that forbid rioting, murdering or other atrocities.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”