Spring on mobile - Page 2

Spring on mobile

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

very_bad_soldier

Re: Spring on mobile

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Come on, you know that its just natural for mobile apps to have some drawbacks on the usability side.
When people can type whole forum posts on their mobile browser they will also be able to order some units around. Of course its not the same as a full-scale desktop PC. But I doubt anyone would expect that though.
knorke

Post by knorke »

There would be no suitable games though.
Spring games all rely on quick, precise reactions, using many buttons and reading small tooltips and numbers.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

aegis wrote:because I'd really love waiting on a set delay every time I moved a unit <_<

also isn't your netbook a via c7? :P
Yes, I didn't mention that part. The netbook does run spring though, poorly. :P

But I was just responding to the no rightclick comment. I agree it would not be ideal for spring.
larsolesimonsen

Post by larsolesimonsen »

Regarding the 'no suitable games for spring on android' remark above.

I am desperately trying to make my wife give up her iPhone, but she loves playing tower madness (as I did when it was my phone). It is an awesome game and yet limbic software do not seem interested in releasing it for android.

I see this as a great opportunity for spring to be relevant on android. One could start out porting just enough of the spring engine to run a tower defence game.

There's a good chance this would open up for more spring on android as its potential on the platform becomes well understood.

First step after the tower defence single player would be to add multiplayer aspects. If this also works well, one could progress to simple rts.

I would be interested in participating on the development side. Especially if someone with more intimate knowledge of the spring engine/framework came aboard as well. I have played the game but have no knowledge of the source that runs it.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I think, some reflavoured Kernel Panic or Fibre could do very well on android. And i know, that if there was an android-version of spring, i'd try to make something along the line :0
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

larsolesimonsen wrote:Regarding the 'no suitable games for spring on android' remark above.

I am desperately trying to make my wife give up her iPhone, but she loves playing tower madness (as I did when it was my phone). It is an awesome game and yet limbic software do not seem interested in releasing it for android.

I see this as a great opportunity for spring to be relevant on android. One could start out porting just enough of the spring engine to run a tower defence game.

There's a good chance this would open up for more spring on android as its potential on the platform becomes well understood.

First step after the tower defence single player would be to add multiplayer aspects. If this also works well, one could progress to simple rts.

I would be interested in participating on the development side. Especially if someone with more intimate knowledge of the spring engine/framework came aboard as well. I have played the game but have no knowledge of the source that runs it.
Shame on you, iPhones can be fulfilling smartphones too.

Having said that, the easiest port to a mobile device would infact be... iPhone/iPad. We already have OS X builds, all we'd need to do is add a few APIs for touch ( someone has already made progress here though not specifically Apple devices ), and then adapt the code base to build using signed certificates, a little handy work and your ready to submit to Apple for App store distribution! ( or just release on Cydia )
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

iPhone/iPad
Can you actually deploy native code to these platforms? Rewriting Spring in Obj-c doesn't sound 'easier' :0

Edit: googled it up, seems you can if you jailbreak the thing first. How much of a deterrent that is, remains an open question.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You do know that you can have both objective C and C++ in the same program? The same file even. So long as the code calling the APIs is objective C, OS X and the like don't care what the rest of the program is written with. They didn't rewrite unreal engine from scratch for the iPhone in Objective C..
aegis

Post by aegis »

still need to adapt some of the low level stuff like streflop and conform our opengl calls to the ES 2.x spec
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

iOS spring would never sync, what with the ARM chipset. We're going to run into that sooner or later if ARM based windows 8 tablets gain traction
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

larsolesimonsen wrote: I see this as a great opportunity for spring to be relevant on android. One could start out porting just enough of the spring engine to run a tower defence game.
teehee.

Seriously though, i laugh at just the thought of playing BA DSD Zero-K or something on a mobile. Games for the spring engine just aren't suited to be played on a mobile. I agree that Kernel Panic may come close, but still, i think it requires many buttons (or similar) than a phone can offer.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

but still, i think it requires many buttons (or similar) than a phone can offer.
Well, then we could just hook up an usb keyboard. At least android devices have an usb port.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Make it work well on a touch screen windows/linux x86 machine without the need of a mouse and a keyboard, using direct manipulation gestures only, then come back and talk about mobile
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

Anarchid wrote: Well, then we could just hook up an usb keyboard. At least android devices have an usb port.
True, but if you're gonna hook up a keyboard, then why not just play it on a laptop/desktop?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Wartender wrote:
Anarchid wrote: Well, then we could just hook up an usb keyboard. At least android devices have an usb port.
True, but if you're gonna hook up a keyboard, then why not just play it on a laptop/desktop?
snicker snicker.. the keyboard is at least 8x as big as your phone.. why not have a laptop...
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

snicker snicker.. the keyboard is at least 8x as big as your phone.. why not have a laptop...
I guess. Anyway, you can't touch type on a touch screen.

However, with the amount of power they keep putting in those thingies, i figure the 'smartphone + usb keyboard + usb mouse + hdmi screen' setup won't sound that crazy by 2013.

I mean, quad-core?
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

i mean, it doesn't sound crazy, it just sounds like a laptop.
smoth

Post by smoth »

human hands are not getting smaller.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

We had machines with hundreds of cores in the 80s, all outclassed by modern single core colour reprogrammable graphical calculators in almost every aspect
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

please pause guys, i'm about to drive through a tunnel

Return to “General Discussion”