A Unique RTS-FPS game idea - Page 2

A Unique RTS-FPS game idea

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

momfreeek

Re: A Unique RTS-FPS game idea

Post by momfreeek »

knorke wrote:Sure, he could have replied to the various posts and ask what are the problems with FPS in Spring but he either already knows or does not care.
I figured he got all the answers he needed without further questions in this instance. (and seeing as he already headed out I'm assuming picasso's tirade of sarcasm was just to cement his side of THIS debate), but yeah

knorke wrote:No one was being a dick as I can see.
picasso wrote:I doubt anyone in this forum really eve trolled him. Smoth and Zwzsg use standard, copy paste sarca-replys by noaw anyway, so yeah, that about covers it.
I was replying to this (not my names >>). Clearly its no diference to the newcomer whether they are "insta sarca-replies" or whatever.. its just some dick that he has barely met taking the piss (again, I'm purely talking about the newcomer's perspective.. behaviour in general, not this thread).
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

So we are supposed to encouRage him?

Go along with the daydreamin and the insult it represent to those slavin away for no-players in the very-real stone-quarry that is #moddev?

PS: I didnt even read this idea. Because even perfectly executed, nobody will play it the reason beeing, that its not on the console, not for money, not markeThing will be done and the like-lee-hood of it beeing the next dota or cs is near nil. Also i have nough idea-dough growing at the back of my mind, that is in dire need to become a bread of his own.
smoth

Post by smoth »

MomfreeeK:
I'd bother to post point out that new users are not always met with sarcasm but you are pretty closed minded to any possibility that I might have EVER helped new comers.

I honestly see threads like this, read through the ideas and don't even reply unless I see some potential. Truthfully, I felt his "idea" was pretty half baked and wasn't going to go anywhere, which is why I didn't even reply until I felt he was using the forum as a recruiting station attempting to pull useful people AWAY from spring. Even then I put in an objection with no personal attack. So kindly leave my name out of your little crusade momfreeek.

I could bother to put together a sort of :

hello [insert name here], welcome to spring forums! To get started on your ["cliche concept"], you will need to start reading [wiki link]. Please, try the projects that exist [gundam, kp or zk where appropriate] to see an example of [thier "origonal" idea].

I could then go on to explain how they will need to be a jack of all trades to see their project through, ask them what their weak points are and try and point them to resources which could help them strengthen it.

After a week they will leave and never come back after they find out that actually making a game instead of lecturing the content devs is actual work. In fact I have tried many times to help people and honestly, your closed minded smear campaign has really reduced my esteem for you momfreeek. I will repeat what I have said for years about these projects:

if the guy is capable, then he will do it, us holding his hand will not produce anything useful. I have ACTUALLY helped tons of new guys get started and watch them lose interest for various reasons other than the content devs who you are labeling as assholes.

There are assholes here but it is mostly in the players. The part that these fragile developers will have to really deal with, when players get a hold of this guy they will be much worse. So while I do not agree with trollish posts people have been doing lately once a thread goes to shit... looking at a certain few in this thread.. I do not think you villifying the people who have had a history of helping(myself or Z) over a few select incidents is fair or useful.

Like I say often, either start actually helping or give your high horse to someone who does. I cannot take your high horse, I have one and a tall pedistal, maybe if you have no one else to put on your high horse, you should start being actually helpful instead of making tedious lectures about how OTHERS should be more helpful. IF YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION YOU ARE PART OF THE FUCKING PROBLEM!
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

picasso wrote:So we are supposed to encouRage him?
NO!
smoth wrote:if the guy is capable, then he will do it, us holding his hand will not produce anything useful.
EXACTLY!!!!!

but.. not if you chased him off before he even started.

all your argument points towards just leaving the guy alone, which is all I've been saying all along!

If SOMEONE wants to help, thats up to them, YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO IT! BUT WHY WASTE YOUR *VALUABLE* TIME CHASING THEM OFF?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do think posting resources is a useful thing...
note the dates and how over time I moved how I approached support threads..

getting started
models
skyboxes even did shit in the wiki
support code

there are other examples of what I mean by doing and not talking.. but honestly I am at work.

I think it is better to make resources than talk about it. which is why my last "big text" thread in this random selection was in '06(getting started).

So rather than spend your time lecturing people. Take a page from knorke's actions. Feed the wiki, I do there are many ACTUALLY useful ways to help new people. By helping build resources, something you could do btw and then linking them you would do MORE good than by lecturing us. You want to tell us how to post and reply. LEAD BY EXAMPLE>
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Well, shit, if there's less harrassing noobs for no good reason, I would be happy with that. but..

yep, tis fair enough. I could do some shit to help. And I appreciate the reasonable request after hostility

so.. err.. watch this space or somthing
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

smoth

Post by smoth »

picasso should be super bong or just fondly known as "the dude"
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

It's usually pretty good start if 'a person with ideas' expresses that he have actually tried playing some of the games here, or at least cheched out wiki and watched some screens.

and this person should be welcomed with warm compliments.

It really shows that the person is commited to do something actually.

But 'a person with ideas' who come here 'ANNOUNCING MAH MOD' and stating how many people he needs to actualize his crazy visions, without any idea of how it could be done in reality, or any idea what spring engine is and what can be done with it, is imo free to criticism.
smoth

Post by smoth »

truthfully he has not done the ground work. Before saying what he needs he should have done a PROPER evaluation.

by that I mean a feasibilty study.

try the engine, the games in it, the capabilities of the engine. What are the tools he needs etc.. the getting started thread..

instead of:

IDEA
REQUEST TEAM
???
PROFIT

I don't necessarily feel anyone should feel entitled to rip the dude a new one but I do feel annoyed that he didn't do his homework and like countless others shows up, expects the community to decide for him and supply him with the actual work. Even still I didn't flame him and don't think anyone should. IT IS wasted energy and text time that should go into improving the wiki or developing tools.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Thread summary:

TK-962: I'm heading elsewhere, I heard there were recent advances
SirArturi: Fiddling with his petrol can
Momfreek: Lighting matches
Smoth: Aiming the flame thrower
Picasso: Ballet rehearsal in a lake of fire, roll up roll up, $10 a piece, free BBQ
AF: oh dear lord, why is this thread still active, where's my high horse, I must make postcount++, it's that time of the month
knorke: mmmmm AF horse, Om nom nom nom nom Om nom nom nom nom
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:Thread summary:

TK-962: I'm heading elsewhere, I heard there were recent advances
SirArturi: Fiddling with his petrol can
Momfreek: Lighting matches
Smoth: Aiming the flame thrower
Picasso: Ballet rehearsal in a lake of fire, roll up roll up, $10 a piece, free BBQ
AF: oh dear lord, why is this thread still active, where's my high horse, I must make postcount++, it's that time of the month
knorke: mmmmm AF horse, Om nom nom nom nom Om nom nom nom nom
Smoth wrote:I do not agree with trollish posts people have been doing lately once a thread goes to shit..
way to prove the point I was making AF, don't play it off like you intended that either. you didn't read the thread and when it was getting to be productive you came in to shit it up. It is just this sort of crap that I think is the REAL asshole behavior on this forum.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

metadiscussion is always the best
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't think that sort of crap has any place here. We were moving to a productive place after yet another *GREAT IDEA !!1!I!ZXXX one" thread and af has to come in with some nonsense that is neither helpful nor productive.
Last edited by smoth on 11 Nov 2011, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

at least it was funny... and not entirely innacurate :P

I think we came to an agreement anyway :)
Last edited by momfreeek on 11 Nov 2011, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

cute momfreeek, after you have been spending months telling us all how to act. :roll:
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

hey, im only taking the piss out of myself :)

i shoudl stop ninja editing tho, sry
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

whats the big deal, this guy didn't even nounce his mods.. he just asked if this would be a sensible format on which mods could be nounced
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Such lack of effort is insulting to modders... I understand that better
and.. I think they judged him right (googled)
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:whats the big deal, this guy didn't even nounce his mods.. he just asked if this would be a sensible format on which mods could be nounced
This flame war has nothing to do with the original issue. Everything was totally normal until we made a war out of it. It's just funny... The author of topic left years ago without any problems. It's us who is fighting here.
Last edited by SirArtturi on 11 Nov 2011, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Game Development”