Planetary, moon or asteroid map. - Page 2

Planetary, moon or asteroid map.

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Kloot
Spring Developer

Re: Planetary, moon or asteroid map.

Post by Kloot »

Yes, obviously. And? It's still not going to happen.

Of course, someone could come along tomorrow and drop a fully finished implementation (there is no theoretical barrier to spherical maps, and they are in fact fairly easy to support in an engine designed from scratch) on our doorstep, but here I have to invoke one of the laws of open-source software development which states that "the probability of any feature F being spontaneously contributed to a project P is inversely proportional to the cube of the amount of work and difficulty represented by F within the context of P".
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

My question was only tangentially related to spring. No need to be a dick about it, Kloot.
Charadin

Post by Charadin »

If i talk about set up a team with this goal, you will just still dick around, so those who don't want or don't believe stop boring those who suggest a step to the goal of spherical map.

you react like it's forbidden to try.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Nagesh? Is that you?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

DasBruce: perhaps next time then you should avoid giving the wrong impression by not asking such a seemingly non-tangential question in a thread directly related to Spring, or by posing it to your friendly neighborhood search engine?

Charadin: by all means, feel free to try. It would spare us another six years of seeing threads with this request made by indignant newcomers appear if you succeed where all others have not. In fact, you and your team would be the first ever to walk the walk instead of merely talking the talk, so imagine the honors!

Now for a more serious response. Consider the following:

1) making spherical maps possible would inherently lead to major internal cleanup and abstraction, which would be a Good Thing for the engine and welcomed by its developers

2) if you did go ahead with it, Spring would gain a cool new feature at virtually no cost to those same developers

Given those two facts, try answering these questions for yourself:

1) who do you think is in a better position to judge the amount and type of work ("steps to the goal") needed for a proposed feature, you (the outsider) or us (the developers)?

2) if you accepted "us" as the right answer to 1), do you think that when we say "it's not going to happen", we mean it as a discouragement (to not consider this feature at all) or as a realistic, honest assesment of a feature's chances of being succesfully implemented?

3) do you feel we should be honest about a feature's chances for anyone wanting to try?

4) since you yourself said "of course it's more complicated" and "i know 2 how the result of 10 000 hours can look like easy to not concerned people", and this feature has been requested countless times in Spring's history, do you think we are justified in "dicking around" when confronted with it yet again by someone whom we know is not serious about doing anything from "if i would make the job i should had posted an entirely code or at least an architecture"?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I don't think anyone is arguing against spherical maps. They're just pointing out that the chances of it happening are incredibly low and that this idea has been suggested on multiple occasions.

In short adding spherical maps is a colossal amount of work that no one here is going to do. It is also very unlikely that Charadin is going to implement the feature as this looks more like a feature request. Combine that with MTR and you get a massive outbreak of sarcasm.
Charadin

Post by Charadin »

smoth first answer was realistic, honest.

but he is not alone, some other can answer even i no more believe it now.

zwzsg was just irrespecfull cause i what ?

cause i fail using search funtion of the forum OH sry me i writen wrong key word "planetary map" given not match,
AND be the 20 th guys....

still hard and feel wounded.

i decide with workmates to build up a team on that goal, but this project will be lead out of this community for not bothering you more. (ironic)

see ya next years if we succeed, move on from automated industrial systems will be hard, but upset people work harder.
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

Charadin wrote: bla bla drama bla bla
OHHH the Drama!

Welcome to the Internet, you must be new here!

First, PLEASE use some kind of spell checking, your grammaer is like an 6yr-s olds, people won't take you seriously!

Secondly, if you are so "sensitive" to everything that people say on the INTERNET, then you are a drama queen and don't really belong here... OR you are emmanuel

If you want to work with these guys you will have to man up and prove that you mean business, not just empty statements!

Just your friendly forum-ers advice ;)
smoth

Post by smoth »

columbus:

That's not very nice, charadin is having difficulty with english because it isn't his first language.

Charadin:
I was short and to the point in order to avoid any communication issues.

We have discussed it. No one wanted to do it, the work is too much. It has been discussed many times, it is not your fault you did not know this.

People do not want to see the engine devs stepping away from their work to do it because there are more important things to work on. Which is why people are defensive about it, they fear the devs wasting time on a feature they do not want.

I was direct as possible because I was afraid you would have a hard time following a deeper discussion due to language and because I knew you were going to be violently shot down.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Calm down Columbus.
He said he'll work on it. Leave him to it.

Good luck, charadin! Ask us if you have a question about the code!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Kloot wrote:
Charadin: by all means, feel free to try. It would spare us another six years of seeing threads with this request made by indignant newcomers appear if you succeed where all others have not. In fact, you and your team would be the first ever to walk the walk instead of merely talking the talk, so imagine the honors!
im insulted, having taken the talk for walkies regularly, so here im squaking into the walkie-talkie, take that back you __________ over.

We have a dev provoced, we did it, we broke there omerta. Years of hatred are going to spill into this thread.

But, now for real, this is really a simple- what-the-hack job. You just open two servers with spherical map, were every unit has upright set to false. Then you add a widget that allows units to switch from game to game to game , and the camera to switch if you close in to the Häquator.

You see, infine popolous done with spring, and didnt cost me a line of code.
knorke

Post by knorke »

i dont get whats the big problem with spherical maps when half the work is already done.
Charadin, if you want to get creative or want some starting point you can look here:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Map_development how to make a "normal" map.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I am suprised noone mentioned beheriths asteroid map

not real ateroid physics obviously, but a good enough abstraction of the concept, not the physics for this rts.

Last edited by BaNa on 05 Nov 2011, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

That's not good enough at all. It's still a 2D heightmap.
Myrias

Post by Myrias »

What about a visual deformation of camera only ?

see my explain.

like this you can play like on half a sphere, without other change than the camera.

higher altitude, and edge of skyline stuff will look like move faster, it's false but i don't think it will trouble player.

draw this is not more complicated than draw perspective instead of a orthogonal view.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Because he didn't request that
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

I'm just wondering knorke, what does DSD Island have anything to do with spherical maps?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think it was a joke.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Ohh, so populous uses a "doughnut" map. I get it. Great, now I can live life without that little frustration. :-)

Lets implement it :mrgreen:
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Return to “Feature Requests”