Thank you

Thank you

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

albator

Thank you

Post by albator »

I just wanted to Thanks Trademark for all the awsome work he has done so far about awsome fun-fun-fun maps and the awsome replays website which was some kind of a link between all the players that like to play, have fun and share their experience with others (mostly player-only spring people)

I also liked how you answered trolls :D, I ll miss that if I keep hanging out here
smoth

Re: Thank you

Post by smoth »

Wtf happened to trademark?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Banned 3 months ago for a post that really wasn't worth a permanent ban?
knorke

Post by knorke »

ban all the users!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

knorke

Post by knorke »

i unbanned tm. dunno if worked?
knorke Excluded user from ban for reason ÔÇ£not drama enoughÔÇØ
┬╗ TradeMark Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:27 am
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Sad day :/ I can't believe TM had done something worth a perma ban.

Edit: Checked. He didn't, imo.
Last edited by Silentwings on 11 Oct 2011, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

AF wrote:For epic lulz:

http://replays.adune.nl/
Can someone explain the first sentence please? Its probably me but I just dont get it.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Afaik it says: He used to get the hosting for free, and had recently been asked to pay for it, or move.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Also, wait a minute or two and listen
MiNiMi

Post by MiNiMi »

now are Sheep and Wombat jobless :(
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

^THIS

one of the last fun things about this place is gone, nice. only WIP and smoths rage left :(
smoth

Post by smoth »

I made RAGE, you found me out, I am really john carmack
knorke

Post by knorke »

that replay site really tied the room together :?
Degenerated4

Post by Degenerated4 »

Had there not been rampant hypocrisy, censorship, double standards and other qualities of this boards moderation team...

To eliminate said problems one would have to admit they exist first. Might consider giving a shit about Spring again.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Moderation has improved, there are still issues, but they appear to be more to do with differing views of what exactly the rules and organisations mean, aka interpretations. Any discussion of this to clarify though is struck down as back seat moderation or locked anyway so there's nothing that can be done here.

The alternative was transparency and effective moderation through technology. This used to be the popular way forward with moderation staff, but in practice when presented with technical developments, they're praised but never implemented. The only such improvements we've seen are ones that came as hidden surprises when phpbb updated or ones that already existed and just needed a few options to be twiddled.

So far the only proven method of improving moderation is the "be an almighty pain in the arse" method which is incredibly draining and kills all credibility you have. I should know, I was a horrendous pain in the arse lobbying for fairer moderation and community management, and that pretty much killed any weight or gravitas what I say held on this forum by labelling me as someone who makes loud noises and shouts a lot.

Also it is questionable wether the improvements in the community of the last 2 years are due to better moderation measures, or because people got fed up and either left or sat on the side doing their own thing. I can think of a number of community members who sit on the periphery for this reason.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

There should be a decision first if this place is meant to be a serious game development forum or a trolls playground you visit to read some flames when you are bored. Those aims obviously clash with each other (e.g. people complain when trolls get banned because there is no more "fun").
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

There is no momentum or will with regards to that decision, and there is the misconception running rife that any separation of the forums will be separation of the community.

In the past I was commissioned to create a developers site so that this would be the player hub, and developer documentation and discussion would be sectioned off in a nice airy clean environment free of trolling and 'whos listening to this' or minecraft threads. In the end it was never used. To this day the joomla site spams me with XYZ has registered emails and I'm powerless to disable it..

We're also stuck with PHPBB ( which has no real plugin or modding support other than the hacking the community was forced to put together ). There's no will to try or experiment with other solutions even on a per project basis, and there is much resistance.

In the past I've offered bots and programs to moderators who have since passed on, that never saw the light of day.

For example, I offered a bot called modbot to swiftspear that logged administrators and moderators on the lobby so that we would know exactly who had access and who didn't regardless of wether they were logged on, squashing several rumours that people such as Tsuyosa had second accounts with admin privileges. It was built and tested but never deployed, swiftspear liked it but didn't have the acumen and power to put it in place.

So far the only technical changes improving moderation that have ever been put in place are the following:
  • Chanserv
  • The proliferation of private lobby channel bots e.g. my own banbot ( and the many more advanced replacements by other people )
  • Autohost banning controls
  • SJs removal of the postcounts from the forums ( made for completely different reasons )
  • Forum Catchpas for spambots
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

All games played on any springie host have replays automatically stored here:

http://zero-k.info/Battles

When you scroll to the bottom and wait it loads more.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Degenerated4 wrote:Had there not been rampant hypocrisy, censorship, double standards and other qualities of this boards moderation team...

To eliminate said problems one would have to admit they exist first. Might consider giving a shit about Spring again.
As you ban dodge..

Return to “General Discussion”