Chemical castration

Chemical castration

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

mephisto2

Chemical castration

Post by mephisto2 »

http://rt.com/news/pedophilia-russia-ch ... ation-059/
holy shit.
I mean i have no love for pedophiles but this sounds like a dark ages punishment to me.
smoth

Re: Chemical castration

Post by smoth »

hi yan
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Chemical castration is a misnomer, as the treatment does not result in sterility except in extreme circumstances. That is to say, if the treatment comes to an end, the body generally recovers. It is an application of hormone therapy which reduces drive and does statistically reduce the rate of recidivism to about 5%. It has been practiced as a means of criminal punishment in a number of countries including Argentina, Poland, the United States, and Israel. Aren't you from Israel?

I'm mixed on the issue. While it has demonstrable utility, it violates a very key area of human rights - control over the mind and body. I am reminded of the involuntary hormonal treatments visited upon Alan Turing which contributed to his suicide, and the denial of hormone replacement therapy to transsexual folk all too common in modernity - this is a level of state and "expert" interference with the individual which is generally revolting. On the other hand, I feel that those who actively practice pedophilia may deserve extreme forms of punishment and rehabilitation which compromise their human rights in order to protect those of their vulnerable potential targets.
mephisto2

Post by mephisto2 »

Who of us can prevent himself from ever having sex?
As a society we need to find ways to stop them from being attracted to kids as oppose to punishing them when they act on their sexual urges which are hard to resist for anyone...
Incarceration + intense therapy in order to get them back into society and be contributing people as oppose to a monetary burden on all of us..
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

nothing about chemical castration sounds humane
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Imo it sounds much better than "physical castration" or "getting gang raped daily", which is what usually awaits repeated pedophiles in prison.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

mephisto2 wrote:Who of us can prevent himself from ever having sex?
As a society we need to find ways to stop them from being attracted to kids as oppose to punishing them when they act on their sexual urges which are hard to resist for anyone...
Incarceration + intense therapy in order to get them back into society and be contributing people as oppose to a monetary burden on all of us..
There is research that indicates it has a physiological component regarding brain behaviour ('miswiring' between the parts of the brain dealing with e.g. protective parental instincts and sexual attraction).

I agree that increased therapy and a more open and accessible routes into therapy (rather than only having treatment once you have committed a very serious offense) is needed, but it does not and cannot excuse anyone who engages in child abuse. We all have urges, but the numbers of us who are entirely ruled by them (to the extent of contravening the law) is relatively small. (Though I admit those that do so more than likely have serious issues and are in need of treatment also).
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am not a fan of permanent solutions to possible misjudgements in a court. What if you are wrongfully convicted? that would suck. I am ok with watchlists but otherwise, this seems a bit barbaric, no matter how hightech.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I would say a paedophiles ability to have children has no bearing on them being capable f actual molestation, or violent acts, and no research has proven otherwise conclusively as far as I am aware.

Nor does one need the use of ones own genitalia to cause traumatic sexual molestation on a minor.

And what about women? Men aren't the only ones who do these things, they're just the most widely reported as a female paedophile is taboo.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Pedophiles need to get help obviously, but chemical castration isn't the answer. The answer is making specialized psychologists freely available, combined with society accepting that the pedophiles are not to be blamed for having the problem, and supporting them in getting help. This is the best way to prevent child abuse from happening, especially because being many pedo's have been abused at a young age themselves.

Being a pedophile is something different than abusing children, but unfortunately many people see them as the same thing. Why not prevent the abuse instead of make it more likely to happen?
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, treatment is a better option. it is a sickness that needs treatment, don't get me wrong, part of that treatment in the case of a convicted pedo should also require community service to at least partially offset the cost of the treatment. After all, if pedos are say, cleaning the streets, the community sees an individual who is doing a service to the community it both helps their image and helps the society as a whole.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I think that treatment would be the best solution as well, but I think that treatment for pedophiles is difficult to find because their aren't even very many psychologists who want to work with pedophiles. Plus, I've heard that pedophilia is difficult to treat and that most people just want to throw them in jail.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Chemical castration, which as noted previously is a misnomer and not necessarily permanent, is regarded as a medical treatment much like forced prescription of anti-psychotics or anti-depressants. I agree that psychological treatment is a necessary element of a humane solution.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

before i googled, i pictured them splashing the criminals genitals with some sort of corrosive acid. i think my method would be a more effective deterrent.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

KaiserJ wrote:before i googled, i pictured them splashing the criminals genitals with some sort of corrosive acid. i think my method would be a more effective deterrent.
Punitive responces are poor deterants.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”