Spring Lobby crashes

Spring Lobby crashes

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Gabinni

Spring Lobby crashes

Post by Gabinni »

Hi!
Everything was going great until today, when i entered Spring Lobby as always. The window opened but now is empty excepting for a little square. How can i fix it?
luckywaldo7

Re: Spring Lobby crashes

Post by luckywaldo7 »

It's a bug that's been around for ages, and it's a pita. Just keep closing and restarting springlobby and eventually it will start up correctly.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Is there any indication as to what causes it?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

http://projects.springlobby.info/issues/1479

Seems to be caused by new version of wxwidgets. Really not the fault of SL devs, but annoying nevertheless.
sillynanny

Post by sillynanny »

luckywaldo7 wrote:http://projects.springlobby.info/issues/1479

Seems to be caused by new version of wxwidgets. Really not the fault of SL devs, but annoying nevertheless.
I can only LOL at this. I have used wxwidgets as a programmer and I can tell you that springlobby is a buggy piece of shit and has been for many years, and that is not the fault of wxwidgets, that I use to make perfectly stable and much more complex apps.

Oh that naughty new version of wxwidgets. That certainly is to blame for years of daily springlobby crashes. LOL!
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

sillynanny wrote:

I can only LOL at this. I have used wxwidgets as a programmer and I can tell you that springlobby is a buggy piece of shit and has been for many years, and that is not the fault of wxwidgets, that I use to make perfectly stable and much more complex apps.

Oh that naughty new version of wxwidgets. That certainly is to blame for years of daily springlobby crashes. LOL!
You mean that open source piece of shit, anyway troll or not you deserve a ban
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Actually it's the combination of wxwidgets with kwin and metacity. If you'd use twm :wink: there would be no problem.

IMHO it's the job of the application programmers to keep up with library changes, or define valid library versions.

SL works for me for a long time now without problems - except this one.
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

My SL window goes half-blank after games, forcing me to restart it each time. I use Compiz+Unity though - anyone else have this?

(it also crashes every time I quit it, but the crash dialog doesn't stick around)
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Unity produces all sorts of problems - it's really beta-quality... Try with a diff window manager (when logging in, you can choose gnome2 -> metacity -> same problem as above, but at least not completely black).

I get the crash when closing SL too.
cleanrock
Former Engine Dev

Post by cleanrock »

As i wrote in the ticket i tested without DM (only xterm in .xinitrc) and it is bugged then too.
Reverting to wxgtk 2.8.10 works for me. Do that until devs sort this out.
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah Unity has no effect here.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@sillynanny:

don't blame springlobby devs, better write patches + bugfixes ;-)

https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

@sillynanny

What a seriously jerk thing to say. Go slap yourself.
sillynanny

Post by sillynanny »

Jerk? Yes. True? Yes.

:(
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yet you attempt to speak for every user when you are one of the few having this type of problem?

If you're so concerned about it, perhaps you could help to fix it (seeings how you're a dev and all, perhaps you could figure out what the issue is).
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

This is because bugs are piling in much much faster than they're able to fix them. Springlobby needs more help, and the current developers are more than capable of writing good code, they just lack the time and energy to tackle the mountain of problems inherited.

But they are tackling the issues, and Spring lobby has come a long way.

It seems right now anything spring related in the past is sacred and perfect ( except anything affiliated to Argh ), and cannot be questioned. Community members handled everything perfectly without fault, projects flowed forwards in a continuous golden age, anyone who says otherwise is an evil troll. It's insulting.

In the early days Springlobby was buggy as hell, so was tasclient, and AFLobby for that matter, but we got on with it and dragged out the bug fixing hats and set about fixing things.

To deny there were ever bugs is stupidity of the highest order, and is disrespectful of the hardwork people like Koshi and BrainDamage have put in.
sillynanny

Post by sillynanny »

To deny there were ever bugs is stupidity of the highest order, and is disrespectful of the hardwork people like Koshi and BrainDamage have put in.

Thank you AF for a bit of sense. I too share your impression that springlobby is getting better. I said it was a buggy shit at a time in which loading it up, opening the battlelist, choosing a game and starting spring had a 50% chance of crashing and needing an xkill. This happened on the versions that were released on the ubuntu spring ppa at the time.

You mention that springlobby is under new management. That is great. But it stands as a fact that it was buggy for a long time, and even then it was a very important project because it was the only linux lobby. Maybe still is.

Forbodding Angel:

The idea that only I was affected by these bugs is pathetic historic revisionism. You couldn't go into #main without hearing grumbling about springlobby. I just kept quiet and xkilled when needed. But when I hear people shit on wxwidgets, I have to intervene.

Now if you think that opensource is an excuse for buggy, then you fundamentally do NOT understand what opensource is. The fact that a lot of opensource software is distribute for no charge does not mean it is worthless.

And if you think open source project management should live in an ivory tower where developers only listen to criticism from other contributors, well, then maybe a lot more is explained about many spring related projects.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Apparently you aren't aware of who you are talking to. No matter.

Present Tense
...and I can tell you that springlobby is a buggy piece of shit and has been for many years...
Past Tense
You couldn't go into #main without hearing grumbling about springlobby. I just kept quiet and xkilled when needed. But when I hear people shit on wxwidgets, I have to intervene.
Have any of these glorious apps that you have designed with wxwidgets been cross platform? From everything I understand wx is fine for nix, but your precious wxwidgets sucks dick in winbloze, hence many of the issues in SL. Fix one bug and another comes out of nowhere for no goddamn good reason. You might be able to appreciate how exhausting that would be.

However, that said, SL is pretty solid really. I haven't had sl crash in a very long time. Perhaps you're "Doin' it rong".

In the meantime, stop being a self righteous buffoon, and help develop SL. The fact that it is wxwidgets means that your help can be useful.

SL happens the be made by two guys. Most of the shit around here is one man projects, and replies like yours are not motivating, they just serve to piss everyone off. Imo, you deserve a tempban for being a dick.

It is possible to dissent and be respectful. Those of us who actually work with the engine around here get more latitude because we aren't just random pricks off the street with 0 knowledge bitching about something just to bitch.

Talk to Koshi. Maybe you could even help with SASI (even tho SASI is qt, which is vastly superior when you're doing cross platform involving winbloze).
knorke

Post by knorke »

Forb:
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

sillynanny wrote:But when I hear people shit on wxwidgets, I have to intervene.
Where did somebody shit on wxwidgets? O_o

Return to “Linux”