Spring has less players - Page 3

Spring has less players

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Spring have less players

Post by smoth »

Spring's games are not even done, how can you age it?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I date it from the release of taspring_0.40b1.exe on the first of may two thousands and five.

Okay I was off a by a year and half.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Technically much earlier if you count the demo thingy. I still have it somewhere.
knorke

Post by knorke »

All that better-voting-system stuff is only relevant is really only relevant for 10v10 DSD. That area of spring does not need such improvements though as it already is the most successful one.
could be a feature which is only unlocked for player with say, a four bar account or higher
all the anti smurf protections will be avoidable. For example to get a 4 bar rank you can just spec a game with some accounts.
---
I really wish we had the lualobby stuff then I could have the player in spring.exe the whole time playing a mission or sandboxing while in chat.
I do not think lua lobby ingame lobby would work.
1) What if Spring crashes on starting the actual game? Players would lose the possiblity to chat.
2) Due to small player numbers, starting games takes a while. Not a big problem if you can do other things while idleing in lobby. Can not do that with a fullscreen app.
3) What might work is that while playing SP you have normal lobby running in background. Then when somebody joins your game, you get notified, close the SP and play MP.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

force, 1v1 week. if you kick, you got no game :)
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

I think the problem is the community being conservative... The simple example of people complaining about 8v8 DSD games, Senna's quite popular (for a while) ba hackmap, and other changes which resulted to be quite successful amongst the players.

Which is why I would argument, that the community has to accept the trend, rather than trying to force their way of playing, and, instead, simplify the troubles of the players attempting to organise big games. I.e. removing the arrogant veterans, implementing easier game management (as some were suggested already) and etc.

If someone was going to try to force people to play in a way they dislike, he would only get them to leave for another game, rather than get them to play the way he likes.
mephisto2

Post by mephisto2 »

NOiZE wrote:force, 1v1 week. if you kick, you got no game :)
PLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZ
This needs to happen, would be so fun.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

OMG Retro-Revival Game has Conservative Comunity.. we need to move towards the tards.. got to meet them halfway.

Maybe we should use our elitism for advertising. Only speaking to those who are allready good at starcraft and dota, and get bored of it. People allready good (and in dotas case allready knowing that comunitys can be hostile.)
knorke

Post by knorke »

PicassoCT wrote:we need to move towards the tards.. got to meet them halfway.
Uuuoh no right at the borderline
thats where Spring's gonna stay
I'll be lookin' out night and day
DSD to the limit, and this is where we stay

yoyo yo, mephisto2 bring the beat back
mephisto2 wrote: PLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZ
fantastic.
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:1) What if Spring crashes on starting the actual game? Players would lose the possiblity to chat.
restart game, like any other game.
knorke wrote:2) Due to small player numbers, starting games takes a while. Not a big problem if you can do other things while idleing in lobby. Can not do that with a fullscreen app.
battleforge lol.

knorke wrote:3) What might work is that while playing SP you have normal lobby running in background. Then when somebody joins your game, you get notified, close the SP and play MP.

my understanding of lualobby is that I will be able to connect to the spring server. Meaning that I can have a tab on the chat for the gundam channel. I can poll to check for open games instead of a battlelist, I may have a "Game available" pop up in game when people are playing.

soo..
1) they would already be playing gundam, if they join a match and crash out they would restart gundam, rejoin the game just like they would in spring lobby.
2) when gundam starts they would be sitting in a sanbox level like battleforge where they can play with units. They can go do singleplayer or whatever or start a mp match and wait for players to join while they sit in sandbox level.
3) see popup thing.

Lualobby is supposed to allow us to connect to the server and have acess to all the information a lobby has but in spring. so there would be a GREATER connection between the lobby server and the game not a weak one like we have now. Imagine being in a gundam match and being able to ask question in the gundam channel while being in game. I would gladly spend the months developing the widgets for this once we get the lua support for it.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

knorke wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:we need to move towards the tards.. got to meet them halfway.
Uuuoh no right at the borderline
thats where Spring's gonna stay
I'll be lookin' out night and day
DSD to the limit, and this is where we stay

yoyo yo, mephisto2 bring the beat back
mephisto2 wrote: PLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZ
fantastic.
CLAPS LOCK

IF I HAT A CROWN, I WOULD HAND IT TO YOU :D
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

A long time between engine releases wouldn't usually be a problem as players don't play the engine, they play games. But in this case the engine version we're stuck with has very broken pathfinding which hurts everyone.
mephisto2

Post by mephisto2 »

Many players slowly stopped playing because you created an environment that forced everyone to play 8v8 games or wait for an hour before starting a different type of game cause all the players were in the 8v8 games.

This has single killed a 8 year old open source project.
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

Worse than 8v8... since a while there are 30-max players autohosts.
This morning we had wait 1 hour to play a 4v4 cause there was a 12v12 running on TERA host. :?
knorke

Post by knorke »

Suddendly the speedmetal days do not seem so bad.
Bring it back and fight fire with fire! :shock:
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Karl wrote: speedmetal
Or Sheermetal..
smoth

Post by smoth »

mephisto2 wrote:Many players slowly stopped playing because you created an environment that forced everyone to play 8v8 games or wait for an hour before starting a different type of game cause all the players were in the 8v8 games.

This has single killed a 8 year old open source project.
I don't see you playing gundam.

be a part of the solution or part of the problem.
Soul

Post by Soul »

Noone is forced to play 8v8, just befriend someone in chat and start a 1v1, then try to befriend two more for a 2v2.

Try to join or form a clan, this will increase the amount of time you spend ingame in ratio to the time you wait for games to start.

There are other reasons why people stop playing games: school/jobs etc.

And everytime someone quits more are likely to follow, like what happend to my clan, people started going to university and stopped playing springgames.

Since most players i was playing and having fun with stopped playing, i soon lost intrest aswell.

Then i would also say that StarCraft 2 devoured alot of spring gamers, most noticable some of our top players.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

smoth wrote:Relay host requires commands to work.
Please explain what player facing commands you think it requires. If you're using SpringLobby there's no need for manual command input to get a game going.
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

In my opinion, a good indicator of Spring popularity is the average number of players in game (this figure is not polluted by autohosts/players waiting in battle rooms etc.). As you can see from this graph, the total number of players in game doesn't seem to decrease that much:

What seems clear however, is that 2011 is a decline year for BA.

Return to “General Discussion”