Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Coresair

Battlefield 3

Post by Coresair »

Anyone playing the beta? I downloaded today and was quite impressed. The gameplay is solid so far, but I need to play more to form an opinion on that. The graphics on the other hand blew me away, playing on ultra is incredible....And supposedly the final release will have even better graphics....I just hope I can run that at a constant 60 fps too.
mephisto2

Re: Battlefield 3

Post by mephisto2 »

does it run on xp?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Runs like shit on my C2D. Don't even bother unless you have quad core.

1GB of VRAM is pretty important too.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I've got a Q6600 but only an 8800GT (512), is that going to cut it at all?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Das Bruce wrote:I've got a Q6600 but only an 8800GT (512), is that going to cut it at all?
Should run fine on lowest depending on resolution. VRAM is probably your limiting factor. I'm running the same, but on an E6550. GPU load doesn't even reach 70%, I'm CPU limited.

By the way, Origin isn't bad. It's fast and un-intrusive, game installation is very simple. You join games via a website, ala MSN Zone, except it's not shit and everything works. As a bonus, a javascript loophole lets you play Caspian Border even though it's supposed to be locked for private testing. Not that you would want to, because it lags like shit.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I'm trying to decide whether to buy another 8800 and SLI it or just accept that this system is old and build a whole new one. SLI cards have duplicated memory right? So no benifit there.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Das Bruce wrote:I'm trying to decide whether to buy another 8800 and SLI it or just accept that this system is old and build a whole new one. SLI cards have duplicated memory right? So no benifit there.
If you can take your Q6600 up to around 3.2 - 3.4 GHz, you can probably get away with only buying a new graphics card. Sell your 8800GT.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

It would never survive that. I've priced up a replacement machine (i7-2600 + gtx460) for about US$1000, so when I've got some spare change I'll probably buy that.

Back to the thread at hand. How does it compare to BFBC2? Specifically in singleplayer. Is it a proper campaign or just multiplayer with bots?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Das Bruce wrote:Back to the thread at hand. How does it compare to BFBC2? Specifically in singleplayer. Is it a proper campaign or just multiplayer with bots?
Are you referring to the beta or the final game?
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

Meh, Vram doesnt seem to be a big deal unless you are running SLI for some reason. One of my GTX 460s can run it fine on ultra (1080p 4xaa), but two of them causes stuttering and general choppiness. My first issue with sli, Ill just mark that up to the game being a beta. Worst comes to worst I have to suffer only 30-60 FPS on ultra :? .

It seems to be a larger scale than BC2, the jump/gun mechanics seem to be better but you die quicker.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Not sure yet, I don't want ANOTHER Steam on my machine.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

REVENGE wrote:By the way, Origin isn't bad.
tell me how you feel about steam so i can apply this opinion to my own decisions
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Coresair wrote:Meh, Vram doesnt seem to be a big deal unless you are running SLI for some reason.
VRAM matters in the sense that if you have 512MB, it's not enough.
smoth wrote:Not sure yet, I don't want ANOTHER Steam on my machine.
KaiserJ wrote:tell me how you feel about steam so i can apply this opinion to my own decisions
For me, Steam is mainly used as a way of downloading and managing the installation of games. If a game relies on Steam for coordinating multiplayer, then I'll use it for that purpose as well. I don't use it as a messaging / com platform, I don't use it for the achievements, I don't maintain my profile. I disable it from starting up with Windows to conserve resources.

I use Origin in the same manner, and I (subjectively) feel like it's even simpler to use and faster than Steam. No doubt that it's a hassle to have to maintain another account, but it's something I can live with as long as it stays out of my way until I need to use it.

BF3's integration with the binary Origin client is pretty shallow. You can install, uninstall, and launch the BF3 game client from Origin, but that's about it. BF3's game client is web based and interacts with the game engine binaries via a browser plugin. The actual interface appears to be purely HTML / javascript, and the plug-in is used to launch the engine once you've joined a game. Everything ran smoothly, the server browser was very fast.
mephisto2

Post by mephisto2 »

Not getting this game.
Another COD/battlefield with better GFX is not worth all the trouble.Hell its not worth the it if you are forced to install origins.
No thx.
I mean really...In what way is this game gonna be better than former Battlefield games except in the visual department?
knorke

Post by knorke »

I mean really...In what way is this game gonna be better than former Battlefield games except in the visual department?
new ways to teamkill people who want to steal your aircraft.
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

Seems to be more like BF2 than the consolized meh that was the BC series. So that is a good thing.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

All of this fear and loathing of Origin is quite puzzling for me. Buy BF3, download Origin, download BF3, done. From then on, I don't think you even need to touch Origin to run BF3. Just go to the website and that will act as your launcher / lobby client.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

^ has never before bought a EA-Product

Service sucked. Server fucked. Bugfix bugged. Balance tucked.

Also Origin was the company that made Wing Comander. You shall not use the undead Corpses of Great Companys as Online Servants. This makes Richard Gariott revolve in his castle.

Srsly, i know the human brain tends to delete bad memorys, but shouldnt the words "EAs Online Service" lead to panicy Horror-Flashbacks by noaw?
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

PicassoCT wrote:
Srsly, i know the human brain tends to delete bad memorys, but shouldnt the words "EAs Online Service" lead to panicy Horror-Flashbacks by noaw?
They've learned how to get alzheimer and are trying to forget how horrible EALA is by looking on their shiny backs
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

Will not buy, I still have BC2 and it goes on my nerves enough why buy the same again?
I hope that red orchestra 2 will get fixed completely because its the better game for me.
mephisto2 wrote: I mean really...In what way is this game gonna be better than former Battlefield games except in the visual department?
You can go prone now :shock:
In bf4 you can maybe lean again, such an innovative series :shock:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”