Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help. - Page 14

Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

smoth

Re: Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

Post by smoth »

I'd say if he can get it together you should round up the old testers warlord. Doesn't your forum have a feature to email users? I am sure many would come back to spring just to test the new IW if there is one test ESP if there is potential for a beta release.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

The drama is strong in this one
smoth

Post by smoth »

TheFatController wrote:
Warlord Zsinj wrote:I've been having a lot of trouble with my graphics card and spring, has anyone tried a few games and seen what happens?
The most recent version I have from SVN is playable, the only major thing was a huge lag spike with the custom flag capture command on swarms of units, which I started to solve by rewriting it then ragequit over some missing Spring features..

I was wondering if I took the time to make an archive which I personally considered fit for a beta (once im done with BA7.60 this weekend) would you consider it? (I wouldn't release or share without permission and I'm not interested in changing unit balance as I've only ever actually played one online beta game but there's some good quick wins lookandfeel wise I believe I'd like to help with)
Warlord Zsinj wrote:TFC, yeah that'd be great. If we can get a couple of test games to play through without too much trouble I'd definitely be interested.
I'd say if he can get it together you should round up the old testers warlord. Doesn't your forum have a feature to email users? I am sure many would come back to spring just to test the new IW if there is one test ESP if there is potential for a beta release.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

but after 15 years expectations will be astronomically high. Write Alpha on every LoadingScreen.
smoth

Post by smoth »

TheFatController wrote:
Warlord Zsinj wrote:I've been having a lot of trouble with my graphics card and spring, has anyone tried a few games and seen what happens?
The most recent version I have from SVN is playable, the only major thing was a huge lag spike with the custom flag capture command on swarms of units, which I started to solve by rewriting it then ragequit over some missing Spring features..

I was wondering if I took the time to make an archive which I personally considered fit for a beta (once im done with BA7.60 this weekend) would you consider it? (I wouldn't release or share without permission and I'm not interested in changing unit balance as I've only ever actually played one online beta game but there's some good quick wins lookandfeel wise I believe I'd like to help with)
Warlord Zsinj wrote:TFC, yeah that'd be great. If we can get a couple of test games to play through without too much trouble I'd definitely be interested.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Couple things, Forb:

1) SWTA for TA was released. Like five times, actually. The old team never "finished" it in that it didn't have the AT-AT or Jedi when real life claimed them, but it still had ~130 units and decent gameplay. Which brings me to my next point,

2) Zsinj took over SWTA in like 2004 or 2005 and recruited me shortly after. He had been somewhat involved as a modeller before that I think. By then, all those packs were released and we worked on the pack 6/Jedi pack stuff. Yeah it kind of sucks that we never released that but there were serious issues in mp with some of the units (technical, not gameplay) and Spring came out right around that time, so can you really blame us for migrating then? For what it's worth, Zsinj really did try to get pack6 out, but he didn't have the technical skill to fix it and never found anyone capable of fixing it.

I'm not really looking to argue here, I'm just saying don't lay all that blame on us, just the stuff from 2005 through present.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I didn't follow it that closely. I thought 99% of the people on the tau forums were pricks (and they are), and I had no wish to engage with any of them.

I never saw an swta release.

I don't care who's fault what was. You're all guilty by association. This is not a unique viewpoint and if you think it is then O_o @ you.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:I never saw an swta release.
you don't remember one. there was even one for spring.
TheFatController wrote:

manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

just release what you have - end of the story
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

So Warlord

While I'm sure you think of me as one of those Morons, and I doubt your respect for me is comparable to the respect for the last pair of shoes you bought, I'm going to make this offer because Im a nice guy and I'd like to see things progress beyond a discussion that can easily be solved by reading the cathedral and the bazaar.

So:

What graphics card do you have, which card would fix the problem, how much is it, and where is it to be delivered?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

You can get a passable nVidia card that will play nicely with Spring for like $100.

I'm sure we could pass the hat for that much.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I ran spring on an FX 5200 I'm sure we can muster up an equivalent working nvidia card for whatever Zsinj has
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

He has a laptop and afaict it's just a software problem anyway

Also, what you ran spring on years ago doesn't really matter now. I ran on a thunderbird and a radeon 9600 but that computer can't even run spring anymore because thunderbirds don't have the SSE instruction set. Just sayin
phas

Post by phas »

Whe whole "i'm making an open (?) source project but i'm afraid that people could fork it" it's really hilarious.

p.s. i can offer 10$ for a video card for warlord if he subscribe a document where he say that if he accept the video card and 30 days later he have not released the mod (and therefore the source code, being GPL) he will beat himself on a webcam and then post the video on youtube.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Where did he say he was making an open source game?
phas

Post by phas »

smoth wrote:Where did he say he was making an open source game?
smoth

Post by smoth »

fair enuff' but...

"open source" does not mean you can fork the project all you want. It only means the source is open and the GPL clearly states that art assets are not covered by the GPL. I'll not turn this into a GPL argument but you can search the forum if you want to see the reasons behind my statement.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

At this point I think there are two options:

1. Do not release any files because of fear someone might fork it, this results in the game never going to be released, wasting all their work, because obviously the development team isn't going to finish it without help. Their computers can't even run spring.

2. Release it and allow others to help with finishing it, so at least people will play it.

To be very honest, you should be happy if people want to fork it. The goal of a game is to get people playing. Why waste all the work you did on it by dropping it because you think releasing the files *might* mean someone will fork it?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

The truth is, we haven't seen a fork on anything with original content. Except for sort of ZK Chickens, as ZK license allows for use of its content (as most of its content is a mash anyway).

But the makers of EE, Cursed, etc explicitly stated that they didn't want their work used without their permission and their wishes were respected. I don't see any reason why that would change with IW.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Actually every decent project like kernelpanic or gundam, or evo, or zk has so much complex code, that even the "nub look at it and learn" posts dont work anymoar, you open file, find a wall of code, get smashed by tableaverlanche...

Projects only get forked, if there is a big enough playerbase, and the dev doesent react to there demands in balancechanges. Forking is a sign of success.

Actually the ultimate sign. The dev is to lazy to change his game. The Players are so devoted to the mod, they start fixxing stuff for him.

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”