Balanced Annihilation 7.6alpha2 - Page 4

Balanced Annihilation 7.6alpha2

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

sillynanny

Re: Balanced Annihilation 7.6alpha2

Post by sillynanny »

Well I guess old times weren't really so good. I never liked that radar behaviour in OTA, but had half-forgotten it.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

AF wrote:Also, thanks to the lack of radar blips, one had to manually issue the order via the minimap
Nah, you put your army to guard a spotter and sent it in amongst the enemy. That on the other hand doesn't work in spring.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ah see my adventures in OTA multiplayer were limited by a dialup connection and a propensity to crash.
PJY

Post by PJY »

The changes to the Juno look interesting. I've never built one to date as I don't really see what use it has. So I like the suggested changes.

One idea that someone suggested during a game the other day, which is kind of a crazy idea but maybe amusing, is that the Juno, wherever it fired, would create a spread of low spec mines at that target area. So if you are on the other side you suddenly find yourself encountering unexpected little minefields. I thought that would be a giggle.
sillynanny

Post by sillynanny »

PJY wrote:The changes to the Juno look interesting. I've never built one to date as I don't really see what use it has. So I like the suggested changes.
I'm not very clear on this. Does it kill nanos? Stun them? Does it still stun or kill radars and jammers?
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

It has a 450 AOE, units hit by it get afflicted by nano particles which prevent repair by adding a buffer of up to 1800 hp which needs to be "repaired" away before actual repair can take place. Units at the center of the blast get the full 1800, the effect is reduced to 0 by the edge of the blast. There's a fixed buildtime of 8000 for curing the juno effect but it also fades naturally over around 90 seconds.

Example:
- Enemy has 2 nano turrets protecting a beamer
- You attack beamer with flash tanks but it's being repaired faster than you can damage it
- Your ally hits it directly with a Juno missile at 50% hp
- The beamer can't be repaired until the two nanos have removed the hostile nano particles (1800hp worth of repairing at 8000 buildtime).
- Subsequently the flash tanks are able to destroy the beamer and break the porc cause it can't be repaired.

So it adds a facility to allow you to help out units which are assaulting stuff which is under repair or being nano-porc'd.

Range is 4000.

Edit: Currently does not do any of the stuff it used to do, anti-radar was a bit of a waste of time cause it didnt remove radar from a bunch of units like Commander/Doomsday Machine/Annihilator/Some Ships etc.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

It doesn't kill mines either then, or?
wahoo

Post by wahoo »

Hi everyone, first post by your favourite CPU lagger.
TheFatController wrote: - Core Buzzsaw metalcost increased, damage per shot reduced, death explosion made larger
- Arm Vulcan metalcost increased, damage per shot reduced, death explosion made larger
You didn't give any numbers here, so I looked for them myself. Metal cost increase is 25%. Unified cost increase (metal + energy/60) amounts to 20%.

This change will not have any noticable effect.

Let's consider a player who has 4 adv fusions and 3 moho mines. The above cost increase will delay his buzzsaw/vulcan construction plan by a whooping... 37 seconds.

My suggestions:
1. Make that +20% something like +50% or even +80%
2. Explore other areas for possible nerfs: hit points, build time, energy per shot.
wahoo

Post by wahoo »

Now some suggestions unrelated to the 7.50 situation:

Maverick - increase hit points to something between 2000 and 2500 (comparable to HP of Crock)

The current HP is 1150. For the cost of half Fatboy, you get an unit with HP less of a stumpy. For the cost of 3 Warriors, you get 30% of their combined HP, with similar DPS (that's with taking into account the laser effectiveness at full range). Survivablity of Maverick is even too little for it's autoheal to have an impact (unless it could raise itself from the dead (just kidding) ).

I believe with Maverick's HP increased, we would have filled Arm's T2 k-bot niche. Zeus together with buffed Maverick would be a match against the Can, each of the two in different aspect.

Sumo - increase it's speed to match the Fatboy's (+33%)

Let's see how Sumo's speed compares to other units, which are also considered slow:

Bantha: 2.2 times faster than Sumo.
Krogoth: 1.5 times faster than Sumo.
Vanguard: 1.46 times faster than Sumo(!!!)
Goliath: 1.93 times faster than Sumo.
Fatboy: 1.33 times faster than Sumo.
Juggernaut: the only unit slower than Sumo, with 0.73 of it's speed.

By the time you can afford a Sumo, and by the time it crawls up to the front, enemy has T3 and/or blue laser defence and/or LRPC. And then suddenly, the impressive 14000 HP doesn't translate to impressive survivablity at all.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

"Only" 37 seconds eh, assuming you build nothing else while the vulcans making?
Instead of churning all that energy into mms to pay the extra cost, with the old cost you could have had your old vulcan already ready 37 seconds earlier and shooting around 50 shots to the enemy by that time.

37 seconds less to prepare to take down a vulcan is a lot, or alternatively having 8k m worth of more defenses to defend your vulcan (and your 4 afuses) can easily save it.
TheFatController

It also now does less damage per shot (still 'enough') and shields have more coverage and power capacity so that could be another few seconds to respond once it starts firing..!
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I don't mean to whine but (as well as having its range reduced) the EMP launcher in 7.50 only emps a vulc/buzz for 3 secs due to some sort of bug. SInce we get vulc/buzz in lots of games now, could this be fixed? ;)
Baracus

Post by Baracus »

wahoo wrote:By the time you can afford a Sumo, and by the time it crawls up to the front, enemy has T3 and/or blue laser defence and/or LRPC. And then suddenly, the impressive 14000 HP doesn't translate to impressive survivablity at all.
This is why there are transports
TheFatController

Baracus wrote:
wahoo wrote:By the time you can afford a Sumo, and by the time it crawls up to the front, enemy has T3 and/or blue laser defence and/or LRPC. And then suddenly, the impressive 14000 HP doesn't translate to impressive survivablity at all.
This is why there are transports
I ain't getting on no plane
wahoo

Post by wahoo »

Baracus wrote:This is why there are transports
That works with Fatboy, because once you unload it at front, it can move on it's own fast enough to be useful in combat.

Fatboy is slow, but not too slow. Sumo is ludicurously slow. Possiblity of transporting it from lab to front means little, because once you do that, Sumo still has arse made of lead. The way it lags behind companion units makes it a nuisance and people tend to avoid the unit altogether.
wahoo

Post by wahoo »

Johannes wrote:"Only" 37 seconds eh, assuming you build nothing else while the vulcans making?
If you have seen games lately, in which lolcannons have been built, then you should know that's a realistic assumption.

You can moderately spam air while building your eco. And you get less threat from nerfed air, LRPC, Detonator etc.

These nerfs are, BTW, the reason why lolcannon have recently became sort of a 30 minute version of Guardian. Some of those nerfs are going to be partially undone. Will these together with +20% cost accumulate to effective solution of the problem? I'm not convinced. Time will tell.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”