Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help. - Page 12

Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

A tense title presenting the period of frigid conflict under Imperial rule in the Star Wars universe at lightspeed.

Moderator: Content Developer

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Imperial Winter - where things stand, and how you can help.

Post by PicassoCT »

cant understand why animes get fansubed and translated, but animeegame gets not. Therefore conclude.. Smoth just is shy. He is afraid. Imagine you woke up, and ther would be over 9000 fanboi posts in your pm-inbox. He prefers the quiet life, thats the real reason.

PS: Just posted a link to the Gundam Executable on every chinese, japanese and vietnamese Gundam Wikipage. Was easy. I guess its something fanboistic, its like talking to girls for nerds, but this time its to talk to whoreshippers of the same cultural go(o)d - you know they are going to find errors and get you into trouble.

Well, its definatly to late for regrets now.

Þºúµö¥ÒüòÒéîÒéïÒüØÒü«!

Definatly to late to look regret!
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_St ... ideo_games
smoth wrote:Starwars already has many successful better, complete rts games.
1) Galactic Battlegrounds from 2002
2) Star Wars: Empire at War from 2006
So two games and both are rather old...
I doubt any of them is still played online or even works online still, unlike IW.
They have a saturated market for the target audience in almost all genres of games.
Not sure. Saturated would be something like currently happens with (esp. ww2) fps or sport games. (every year a new Fifa from EA etc)
Maybe it was saturated in 1980-2000 but today certainly is not.
all fair points but I doubt either game is unplayable online. Now, having issues with 64 bit/modern os maybe.

Either way, this was warlords key point. They are going to have one shot at a major release, the project reputation is a big concern for him. That is why I keep saying they should do an unofficial release sort of deal.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Agree. Don't release it, just make the SVN public so others can start developing on it and it can be publicly tested. Don't publicize it, don't call it a "release".

Call it alpha. Put a big click-through disclaimer widget on it. But after all these years, put out *something*.
smoth

Post by smoth »

believe me they have that much. IIRC it is all fixed up now. I maybe can do a bit more to fix it's issue with the widgethandler and chilli but they don't even use chilli and warlord is just going to keep acting like widgets are over his head.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

They aren't over my head, I just don't really have the time to be learning how to fiddle with them.

I guess given the likelihood that in the next few months I'm not going to have the time to pull out a release, perhaps some sort of unofficial SVN type release may be worthwhile, at the very least so that people can use and learn from the code (though I'd imagine it is all largely outdated by now).

But my major concern would be that I wouldn't want tangent star wars games being developed from our content. But also that I don't lose total control of the design in future iterations of IW. I started this project from the position of being the game designer and thats where my heart is in the project - I only taught myself to texture later when I couldn't get hold of any texturers.

So yeah, I'd be open for ways to release so that people can see 'this is how close we are, this is what needs to be done', but to not have a hundred tangent versions of the game, or where people have stitched up a frankenstein version of the game and released it on the lobby. And I can't imagine it would take that long for something like that to not only happen but to become so prevalent that it would be impossible to stop. Thats why I wanted to develop a 'demo' release where the game was more or less at the point where the testers could play it competitively (where it was when it was being heavily tested) and release it with all the loading screens pretty clearly establishing that 'this is a demo' and 'if you want to play with ATSTs and such help us finish the game'.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I started this project
'Flu and Han Solo may disagree? :wink:

Also "Oh no he didn't!" at mentioning you are too busy, again.

I'll get the ball rolling;

http://svn.[reallyobviousurl]
Last edited by FLOZi on 03 Sep 2011, 02:12, edited 2 times in total.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Just release a real alpha then- means- textures missing, replaced a generic alpha-texture for all units. You know how much work it is to get such a unit back to mirror-shine, so you should be save with that. People usually dont rip ugly stuff for the frankensteins and are willing to put in loads of work.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I'd say we're a fair way from SWTA these days :P

Perhaps if we could move past the cynicism a bit and offer some suggestions as to how I could proceed whilst resolving the concerns I've outlined above things could move along a bit quicker
smoth

Post by smoth »

Your concerns of someone developing a side version of SWIW will never be resolved. EVEN IF YOU FINISH

It's paranoid procrastination.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

They are all out there, after me, creeping, lurking, but no, i ll take it to my grave, noone gets anythign. NOONE!

(Sound of double barreled shotung beeing loaded)

You cant trust them, i ve seen them all, starwars rts-games, and the look 99 % like my game, they have tried it allready, they stole it from me. Even that lukas guy does it- and he uses time travelling devices, to accomplish it.

There is only one way, to send back- a R2D2-inator, back, way back, back into time.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

There's a big difference between someone making a variant of IW when there's a perfectly good copy of IW available that everyone has, and someone cobbling together an ugly IW from the current almost-working SVN and releasing it. If I had a release out there I wouldn't be worried about it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

What is ALMOST working? because I just don't see what is not working.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Versions aint the trouble, Vanity is. You could releas a
Alpha with nothing but cubi units in it, basically only for Game-
play testing. But you dont, so what is the real Reason?
Oh, wait, its just getting your Ego dry-humped, by all the others
who have been hard working, or at least anticipating this.
As i remember, screenshotpage for ten years, teasin but never
releasing.
Estimated time of arrival? Never. Games that say they are almost done,

are rotting on the graveyard of "easy to revive projects" and every day technology and players advance, they decay more. I dont think there ever was a StarWars Mod, just nice unitpictures, thats all. I had the same, nice buildings, nice units, just dont use them, just dont move those.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Self Fulfilling Prophecies

Have you considered that you may loose control by your project being completely usurped and replaced by a totally new project that takes nothing from your own, ran by a group of starwars fans who are fed up waiting for IW and think your control issues are a recipe for disaster?

What's to stop someone building starwars using legos and generic animations then replacing each unit one by one with bespoke models

Self Defeatism

I've always liked this project, and I've been very courteous about it. I was willing to put a lot of time and effort in, and used AI as a starter, but my offers were either outright ignored, or I was given a friendly dismissal, despite the fact that you had nothing to loose and more to gain.

Faced with this response, why would I branch out into other areas, and why should I and the others who saw what happened when I offered help, trust you to be a friendly and effective project leader to contribute to?

After all that when I managed to acquire a copy of the game from when Argh left it up on his servers on the day he abandoned work with it, and I was nice enough to not touch it and notify you. ( and you weren't exactly secure with who you handed out the password to your site to, and wether they could be trusted to keep the beta game inside the beta group, but we all stood by and paid our respects and refused to distribute, wether you'd deemed us worthy or unworthy )

The current Rota of Warlord Zsinj Excuses
  • I lack the time
    Then delegate
  • I only ever wanted to be the game designer
    You still are, this is a nonissue
  • Im scared people will fork the project
    Then you've already proven yourself wrong. The people most likely to fork your game ALREADY HAVE IT. Therefore, you loose nothing by making a public SVN, as the people you're hiding it from, already have access.
  • Im scared of loosing control
    The people who you are most likely to loose control to, are already in the perfect position to wrench it from you. Yet they haven't. Even then, the most effective method of retaining control, is a release.
Last edited by AF on 04 Sep 2011, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
knorke

Post by knorke »

What's to stop someone building starwars using legos and generic animations
time, knowledge, manpower.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I'll wait for the peanut gallery to settle down
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

and you weren't exactly secure with who you handed out the password to your site to, and wether they could be trusted to keep the beta game inside the beta group, but we all stood by and paid our respects and refused to distribute, wether you'd deemed us worthy or unworthy
I'd just like to point out that we're talking about a dinky little freeware rts game, not Titan missile warhead plans. Sure we didn't want it leaked, but it would have hardly been the end of the world

Plus Yan's attempts to get a copy were pretty amusing for a while. Kind of reminded me of Chicken Boo lol. Did you ever end up getting a copy from one of the beta people, Yan?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

professor is currently exmatrikulated :D
smoth

Post by smoth »

SVN ACESS?

this is a link -> sup <- this is a link
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

smoth wrote:What is ALMOST working? because I just don't see what is not working.
Is the LUA fixed since the new spring broke it all? besides the LUA, what resources were already in the SVN was more than enough to make an enjoyable game.
Gnomre wrote: Plus Yan's attempts to get a copy were pretty amusing for a while. Kind of reminded me of Chicken Boo lol. Did you ever end up getting a copy from one of the beta people, Yan?
I remember it leaked unto spring uploader at one point and lots of people managed to torrent the resource files, but iirc only one person got a working copy that way.

IW was pretty much all I played until warlord accidently 2 years, pretty sad to see it fail considering its excellence even in beta.

Return to “Star Wars: Imperial Winter”