THIS (WIP 7 release) - Page 10

THIS (WIP 7 release)

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: THIS (WIP 7 release)

Post by KDR_11k »

That's normal, WIP7 is outdated and not compatible with the current Spring.
yanom wrote:what does THIS stand for?
THIS Happens In Space
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

KDR_11k wrote:That's normal, WIP7 is outdated and not compatible with the current Spring.
yanom wrote:what does THIS stand for?
THIS Happens In Space
:lol:

Come back kdr we love you!
yanom

Post by yanom »

ah ok. May want to change the name, though, because searching for THIS just brings up anything that has the word "this" (a common word) in it.

Still, it's not showing up in springlobby. anyone know how to make it work?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

King Raptor made further versions that may work.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Latest versions are available through rapid.

There should also be an older WIP11 on SpringFiles which may work.

rapid tag: this:test
or use one of the GUI programs with rapid capability (Zero-K Lobby; rapid-gui in Spring/rapid; etc.)
Last edited by KingRaptor on 28 Aug 2011, 14:17, edited 2 times in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

please post rapid parameters for nubs.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i might visit the lobby more often than once per 2 days, just for that game. gogogo start playin it pplz.
yanom

Post by yanom »

KingRaptor wrote:Latest versions are available through rapid.

There should also be an older WIP11 on SpringFiles which may work.

rapid tag: this:latest
or use one of the GUI programs with rapid capability (Zero-K Lobby; rapid-gui in Spring/rapid; etc.)
rapid wrote:No tags matching "this:latest" found.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

this:test
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Right, this:test. Sorry for the confusion, I don't know how that one happened.
yanom

Post by yanom »

ok. Got it.

Wow. Nice mod! very nice! Reminds me of Homeworld.
Man, if we could get a game like Homeworld on spring, with a nice atmospheric feel to it... that would be awesome. Homeworld was, hands down, the best RTS ever made. Better than TA even.
smoth

Post by smoth »

not all people share that opinion. However, for those of us who do not share your perspective, perhaps some details on WHAT precisely you feel in love with in homeworld?
yanom

Post by yanom »

smoth wrote:not all people share that opinion. However, for those of us who do not share your perspective, perhaps some details on WHAT precisely you feel in love with in homeworld?
1) Storyline & backstory
2) Being able to move on the Z-axis (hardly possible in a Spring mod, just pointing out that it was cool)
3) Capturing enemy units
4) Graphics (or should I say Art Direction - they were able to acomplish great things visually even with low rez, low L.o.D. graphics) - especially the skyboxes.
5) Challenging single-player campaign where your units persisted from one level to the next. (hardly possible in a Spring mod, just pointing out that it was cool)
6) Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I couldn't make much sense of the unit balancing in Homeworld, it didn't feel like e.g. bombers were really stronger vs big ships. Mine layers were the way to go.
yanom

Post by yanom »

The trick was to back them up with Ion Cannons. Man, I really hope there will be Homeworld 3... but accept that it will never happen.
yanom

Post by yanom »

I played more of THIS. It reminds me not of Homeworld but of Sins of A Solar Empire - a game that was sort of like Risk in space in real time.

A few suggestions:

-Auto duck-and-weave (maybe the game should treat them like fighters in OTA) for small ships
-Auto retreat for small ships (just giveOrderToUnit(moveNearNearestCapitalShip) if wounded)
-Small fighter ships auto-guard the capital ship that made them. This would mean that capital ships would grow their own cloud of fighter ships. Would be cool.

<sciencenerd>
-Rename the planets "Asteroids". This would make more sense as far as scale/distance between capturable regions is concerned. If they really were planets, they'd be waaaaaaay to close together, and the starting capital ship would be the size of Russia.
</sciencenerd>
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

THIS operates on an RTS scale, i.e. objects being WAY larger than the distances in play would warrant. Actual space combat would be at ranges of hundreds of kilometers and I can tell you the Dagger isn't meant to be a kilometer in length.

Fighter behaviour is very hard to control by the player as the units move around on their own. Makes it hard to really get them where you want them to go.
yanom

Post by yanom »

KDR_11k wrote: Fighter behavior is very hard to control by the player as the units move around on their own. Makes it hard to really get them where you want them to go.
So the fighters do use evasive maneuvers? I didn't notice that. What ships are considered "fighters"?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I mean fighters in the Spring sense. Drones use fighter logic. There's a reason I call small ships just small ships.
yanom

Post by yanom »

KDR_11k wrote:I mean fighters in the Spring sense. Drones use fighter logic. There's a reason I call small ships just small ships.
ahh ok.
and, can you rename the capurable planets asteroids? It would also make sense in terms of getting resources from asteroids.

Return to “Game Releases”