New Map: Gehenna Rising v2 - Lava map creation

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Beherith

New Map: Gehenna Rising v2 - Lava map creation

Post by Beherith »

Old stuff:Image

Completed map:

Its got animated lava, bursts of lava exploding, and best of all - its not a performance hog :D

Thanks to knorke, Bana, Picasso and Flozi!

DL link:

http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... nna-rising

v2 updated
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Random WIP

Post by PicassoCT »

is not lava: is coloured sand. Lava emits light, doesent recive shadow (recives light on solid plates drifting)
ImageImage

also lava follows viusal rules, bright on the edges , bright on hightdifferences.. sorry for the seemingly harsh criticism, but potential awesome is at stake.

This is how- oh, noes, my shop attempt worsens it. But you get the picture. Good thing i have no time invested in OPonnions, otherwise tears and drama would ensue.
Attachments
beta.jpg
(472.38 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

In games, especially in technical environment like spring, it's not so much about realism but rather impressions which by visual mediums is to create a viewer a feeling, a sense of the object or thing being there.

In this Beherith succeeds really good imo.

Maybe you could consider that more like a magma than lava. The place is supposevily somewhere in deep underground of hot and hostile planet maybe the hell, the Tartarus a.k.a Hades of Plato and ancient greeks.

But definitely needs some more stuff (features :), feels a bit empty, though I love how it looks so far.

Edit: Buy yes, I see theres some strange shadows around the edges of lava that really does not feel like they should be there, and which could easily look better I suppose? As Picasso suggested.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I think lava in the style picassos images show would look very, VERY good.

The problem is nobody as far as Im aware has attempted it, which si a shame as it would be far more beautiful than what is usually done
PicassoCT

Random WIP

Post by PicassoCT »

I ll chose to fight this time, because if Behe pulls it off, i want the awesomeavalanch to go into the right direction. First were there is fire, there is smoke, so the stone is chared, black.. so far, so right. But where the heat escapes, there is light, and thats exactly were this is wrong. There are shadows around those stone islands drifting in the magma.

Such shadows would make sense in water (to give a sense of the stones continuing below the surface) but with lava, they bite.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

on picasssos pictures, it flows down a hill in the open, while on the screenshot by behe it is more like hot water in a pot. i guess that is similar to what sirmav said. about reality... there is a big hole in the hard-stony map, with little hard stones inside plus hot, fluid glowing stone, and i guess it would stay so during the whole game. but either the fluid stone would have to slowly cool down and get hard, or the hard stone would have to start melting or the like (if there is some direct connection to a great heat-source, eg. the inner core of the planet).
then again.. i don't know how fast stone would start melting.
in behes screen, the borders are all black/shadowed, and in picassos all glowy, but in the photos it is mixed (but it only makes sense with a flow, i guess).
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Very good observations guys. I made the false assumption that the lava would cool near the bordering rock, so the shader in the previous pic reduced brightness near terrain. But it makes more sense based on picassos pictures that the lava is the hottest where it meets the rock. So I just flipped a sign in the shader to get this:

Btw, it's animated and pulses with glow.

I really have no clue about ceg's but if anyone can point me to one that would be useful (like puffs of smoke, bits of fire bubbling up) I will add them as random spawncegs.

Edit: even more edge glow:

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

What follows is a lenghty post.. which was rendered completely obsolete by behes awesomeness incarnated...

Now all it has is nostalgic value.. oh, shaders... so it has wobbling hot air? Little redsparks? (oh, crap, messed up particles and shaders again :( )

Sorry Behe, its the fate of the successfull that the impossible is demanded from them.

Fine, if you dont want to cry a firey river, how about a lake? Result is still the same, the problem is those pictures show the night time.... how does it look in bright daylight?

The answer:
Spectacular Unspectatcular..

Bad example. Fine skip reality, but still, lava were this "reality-jacksense" starts to tingle.. is evil.
I wouldnt post this, but were i tried to integrate lava in my map, it was freaking difficult (and just terrain)
SirArtturi

Random WIP

Post by SirArtturi »

I think you went too strong on the last one. The first shot looks great.

You could also try to darkening the lava a bit(not from edges, but the stuff in the centre), just very slightly, cos It's starting to get really dominating compared to the other environment.
Beherith wrote: Btw, it's animated and pulses with glow.
Yes I guessed that, cos' you told me how much you disliked static lava. Anyway, I trust it's all good. However, this is maybe third time, but I want to advertise argh's lava lua. Try it out, it could give you some more animation into it. It has smoke effect too.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Beherith wrote:Very good observations guys. I made the false assumption that the lava would cool near the bordering rock, so the shader in the previous pic reduced brightness near terrain. But it makes more sense based on picassos pictures that the lava is the hottest where it meets the rock. So I just flipped a sign in the shader to get this:
Fuckwin bro. will this be usable in hotstepper like situations?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Pls post arghs lava.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Either tone down the brightness and smooth out the texture of the lava a little more

Or out reddish hues around the lava on the map texture, it looks odd having something bright but there being no light given off on the Walls surrounding.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

The actuall challenge (if you dont do real 3d lava- aka a fluidsimulation) is trifold.

First, there is the slowflow simulation, which is relative easily archieved shifting the texture. If you shift the selfiluminationtexture into a diffrent direction, you get a seemingly random change of glow..

Second part is were the difficulties begin.. you define one site that is hit by the flow of the stream, and spawn there a entity, lets call it rockplate.s3o which starts with a redhotglowing texture, and ends as a comon rock.. and on the opposite lakeside you open a gap in the crust, and place a seond, faster shifting lava-stream texture there..

Third part is the particles part. You get some to let the air wobble, and some to simulate sparks..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiVVvQ9SVfc&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpNWLCmX ... re=related
Attachments
triforcerchallenge.jpg
(64.99 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Beherith wrote:Pls post arghs lava.
It's in WorldBuilder, but unfortunately I can't get that to run anymore.
smoth

Post by smoth »

not all lava flow looks that way picasso, just where it is cooling.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Burnt pizza/food
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

yeah, but thats the difficult, intersting stuff- red, orange hot lava, flowing like water.. thats eays to do.. just get a textured plane and rotate it. Job completed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYgE18p8cxY

stracraft 2 lava.. just redlight, and the outerglow shaders.. not so much the killer...
Beherith

Re: Lava map creation

Post by Beherith »

Split this off, cause it has some good thoughts.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

You won't be judged by how real lava look but by how it looks in other video games and hollywoodian movies.

In short, you may look at lava footage for insipiration, but remember to spice it up, to make it all dramatic and pretty colored, reality often needs to be enhanced or forfeited on the altar of spectacular entertainement.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Maybee the best idea blizzard had was to alter the whole lightcolour around the lava, everything in a red haze,
i shoped it a little.. didnt work out.. but.. wait a sec, brb..
Attachments
test1.jpg
(506.69 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Return to “Map Releases”