Dawn of fantasy

Dawn of fantasy

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

scifi

Dawn of fantasy

Post by scifi »

http://dof.reverieworld.com/index.php

Beta is still on.

From what a couple people say the game has epic potencial. Its a bit bugged though but Im dling now, trying it tonight.

Anyone tryed it already or???
luckywaldo7

Re: Dawn of fantasy

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I only remember it as the game with the

Most.

Generic.

Name.

Ever.

Let knows if it's any good.
smoth

Post by smoth »

blurry blurry brown grey.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

smoth wrote:blurry blurry brown grey.
Edgy.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I missed that one.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Don't be so cynical, this game deserves a chance.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Registered, interested, downloading.
Gota

Post by Gota »

F*ck it ill get it.
My username is BasiC.
Downloading.
smoth

Post by smoth »

smoth wrote:blurry blurry brown grey.
brown and a bit' a blue.. there's some good filth 'ere
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Seems nice so far, tried a skirmish and it was hella confusing (still won it :D), now playing the online campaign.

I have a rly hard time getting into total war-style combat, it is wierd and unintuitive for me to deal with squads.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

have there been any gameplay advances since stronghold? or darkomen?

Grafix are impressive, and not even allgrey (there is djungel and dessert).. still, i dont know somehow the rts experience misses something, it hasnt kept up with the other genres, who all adapted hl2 as standard for drama and emotional engagment. Here, im just another bookkeeper for a lord of the rings world, feeling the same attachment to my units as a anteater has for the ants. Oh, a thousand peewees died? How horrible, look at all this litter in the landscape.

And yet, i can remember with warcraft 3 and starcraft- this genre can draw you in, if handled with care. Problem is, how transfer this to the multiplayer?

First you need to define what is of value for the players. Time is. Skill is. Combined Skills is(Team-Combo).

So you need Rewardes for each action in that category, to archieve similar emotional binding. Ironically thats what all the latest RTS tryied, and phailled, although impressing much (dawn-of-war, CC:TiberianInfusion)

So how do we solve this? Like those online- consisten world guys? Dirtyworkarounding? If i cant get emotional engagment by basebuilding, and fighting, i stick players together and hope that the group,experience fixxes it?

Worked for Zero-Ks Planetwars. How to add to that? Ripping off the nearly SinglePlayer-Instances of MMORPGS?

I for myself think that this is just working on the fringe of the problem. Trying to cut everything booring (base-building, victory through exaustions) has not worked. There is something at the core of RTS that has to be improved.

There are four gameexperiences, according to the theory. Alea (Luck),
We could roll a dice on every order, every move. Would certainly add suspense. And Realism. Sometimes Stuff goes better then expected. Sometimes people fuck stuff up.

Ilinx- the Rush (Speed, Fear, Everything pure Emo)
Now thats were the other Genres pushed hard, and were the heart of the difficulties beat. If we add it, we reduce the ability to think strategic, so basically the moare we dramatice, the more we lose the substance that makes a RTS a RTS. Thats why there is no Sex-mod, and why you have troubles doing a horror-rts game. Could however-witzer -sorry- add a bonus for fps attacks, like a combo (if you stealth and hit with every rocket, you get invurnerable for anti-air.. personalize it, basically.
Veteranic Units you could name and carry from Game to game.. although those are infamouse for screwing game balance (so only allow to call those in later in game?)
Luve among Tanks? Units that procreate, creating minature fleas, you have to feed with wreckage to grow up into stumpys and mature into goliaths? Ridiculousy...
One fix for this would be autogenerated mini-missions. On your retreat, a unit in hiding was left behind, retrieve it. Heal the wounded unit, so and so, without removing it from the frontline. Smuggle this goods to this point in enemy territory, without firing a shot nearby... such stuff.

Mimikri
Playing someone you aint. Rarely gets really used nowadays. Seen in good RPGs and on some hardcore MMPORGs. Is like staging a play.
Could be usefull. If we had some ingamediplomatics, who gave supriseressources to the most treacherous or subversive general (the spectrators vote on that) we could have some nice diplomatics and politics.

Now there is Agon:
Competition. Highscores. Archievments. You get it. Replace the Stats with something GTA like? 130 Drowned Tanks (Grabed with Planes, dropped into the ocean)
Tranquillizer General - Stuned a Unit for 56 Minutes. Good stuff. Done by everbod else, so no rare Gems to steal.

Talking about getting carried away.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

PicassoCT wrote:Wall of Text for FucksSake
Sorry, dont know, hasnt been my day, or my week, man, what did i post here.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

that looks pretty baller, is it worth the DL?
scifi

Post by scifi »

Loving the game, though i had a bit of a bad experience at first, the game is unfinished, and a bit buggy. Performance wise works well, except for some lag with the server.

It has Epic and awesome grafics, some stuff needs fixing , some animations need fix e.t.c. nothing that the developers dont know, so far its great overall.

For a beta it has a lot of content,it comes with a single player Total war style campaign where you start with one city, you make armys and just stomp everything on your path make aliances e.t.c..(kingdom mode).

The units look well,theres enough variety, you can loot dead bodys, for gold, use workers to get rid of obstacles,work in camps you make while you move trou enemy territory e .t.c... pathing is overall good, though needs to be fixed a bit, in hilly areas. You have the regular cavalry, infantry,mages but you also have spells and special unit abilitys/buffs you can use.The battle map and the campaign map are detailed, and have diferent climates e.t.c..

The online part is the same as the single player,same Total war style , BUT! you start with a colony in a given area and just thread the path to build up your economy and your hero, so you build it by gathering recources,making workers, trading with AI towns and stuff, youll get attacked by raiders, and casual Ai towns. But the real danger comes from PvP while your out, the enemy can attack and loot your town, wreack havoc and when your back D: wut???. xD

Merge TW war games with a semi-civilization environment, theres quests, your hero levels up, PvP can be ranked, you figth skirmish battles with enemy players, or city assaults, to loot theyr kingdom.

Currently it isnt implemented (or so i think), imagine you choose the elf faction, currently there are areas within the elf realm where you pic your starting area, you go there, pic either a swamp, hily, or forested area e.t.c... In these areas there will be group of players that interact with each other, make alliances, plan expeditions to enemy Ork! territory. The grafical part, the map is implemented but the multiplayer experience isnt, thats why i recommend people to try it only not to take it as a semi-finished game.

PvP isnt finished, but its in the works, only if you get out of your town the PvP buton apears and you can go into a random players town/area, and figth them off. From what ive read in the forum they want to implement this into the map itself, not just buton wise, and you go to a random map area.

Ill dig this, and play a bit more hours, but so far its fun^^
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Is there another way to download this? This is looking like a 21hr download.
scifi

Post by scifi »

yeh its the only way.

Some more update, im having loads of fun with the orks, loot and plunder, still i can finish my settlement in 3 days time :3, xD, or at least bring it to a average position with walls, barracks a good economy.

Lets see what update they will release tomorow, dying to play PvP , and get alliances.

A tip dont play Elfs, theyr so unfinished, and unfun to play tbh, play humans or orks. They are the most unfinished and bugged imo.
Professor

Post by Professor »

This game is so buggy...
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Some potentially game breaking bugs in there, with the elves I lost all xp for my units once, with the orcs I lost my whole army once. Kind of frustrating, I hope it gets fixed with next release.
scifi

Post by scifi »

BaNa wrote:Some potentially game breaking bugs in there, with the elves I lost all xp for my units once, with the orcs I lost my whole army once. Kind of frustrating, I hope it gets fixed with next release.
yeah same here, ill try humans now, from what ive heard they are the better

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”